Home Marmoset

Baking UDIMs in Marmoset?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NURBS polycounter lvl 3
I'm trying my hand at multi-tile UV mapping for the first time. To practice using UDIMs I've modeled a tank with 16 UV sets. I'm aware that Toolbag 3 does not currently support UDIMs but at the same time it is possible to use/render them in Toolbag. So, I'm wondering if it is at all possible to bake in Marmoset Toolbag 3 with a UDIM mesh, and if so how?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolbag does not support UDIMs, but you can render maps that are compatible with UDIM systems by following a few couple steps:

1. For each UDIM, select the faces in that UV layout and give them a new material. Name them 1001, 1002, etc to correspond with your UDIMs
    2. Move each UDIM into the 0-1 UV space
    3. Load your high and low poly meshes as you normally would, and enable Multiple Texture Sets
    4. bake!

This will treat each material assignment / texture set as a UDIM and export a series of maps for each with _1001, _1002, etc appended to the files.
  • NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    Is there anything I need to do to the high poly model before baking?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS said:
    Is there anything I need to do to the high poly model before baking?
    No, there is nothing specific you need to do the high poly to bake UDIM style maps.
  • NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    And is there anything I need to do in order to bring the model, and the baked maps, into another program like Substance Painter?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS said:
    And is there anything I need to do in order to bring the model, and the baked maps, into another program like Substance Painter?
    I don't think Painter supports UDIMs yet, though I believe they recently announced they are working on it. You'll probably get better advice posting in their forum.
  • NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    Ok, I'll do that then. Thank you for the help!
  • kirill777
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolbag does not support UDIMs, but you can render maps that are compatible with UDIM systems by following a few couple steps:

1. For each UDIM, select the faces in that UV layout and give them a new material. Name them 1001, 1002, etc to correspond with your UDIMs
    3. Load your high and low poly meshes as you normally would, and enable Multiple Texture Sets
    4. bake!

This will treat each material assignment / texture set as a UDIM and export a series of maps for each with _1001, _1002, etc appended to the files.

Dear Mod!Can you tell me where do you found solution to the question?
    because I can't reproduce step starting whith step number two, unfortunately.
    it will be great if you could to share the videos or link of that tricky task.thank`s you!

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kirill777 said:

4. bake!

Dear Mod!Can you tell me where do you found solution to the question?
    because I can't reproduce step starting whith step number two, unfortunately.
    it will be great if you could to share the videos or link of that tricky task.thank`s you!

Select the UVs for each UDIM.

And move them so that they are in the 0-1 UV space. For this section, I moved it -1 units on the U axis.