Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[FINISHED] Hales (futuristic army veteran)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rikard86 polycounter lvl 5
O hello! Finally I have something to show for this project.

I decided to base it this concept by Ivan Yakushev:
My aim is to have him be a tad more realistic and less cartoony than the concept while trying to keep the same vibe as much as possible.

So far I have him in advanced block out - most of the pieces are in, with some already clean enough to add detail on. Had to compromise some shapes a bit as they wouldn't make much sense in a 3D environment or weren't clear enough in the first place.
Body anatomy was based off a scan, with the head being remade from scratch.
The pants are a Marvelous simulation I made for simple folding with a couple strokes thrown on them.

Right now there isn't much in the way of detail but I plan to take care of it in the coming weeks, as I suddenly found myself with so much spare time now.

so yeah, regards and see you later ppls, stay tuned

Replies

• kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice stuff!
    This is only my opinion so take this with barrels of salt. Nice buildup of mass around the butt and upper leg. A mechanized knee and lower leg is a great approach, but the visual mass looks very odd to me. The details are nice but they jar with the figure. Perhaps a closer conform to the shape of a knee, calf and foot would fit better (but thats only me). Also the length of the prosthetic looks a little on the short side. Great stage to show your work at. Gives a good idea where you are heading but it looks like you arnt impossibly locked in to the final form.

Great work.
  • Rikard86
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @kanga , first of all thanks for your reply!

The leg shape is based directly on the concept, and the placement of the knee joint is aligned properly with the scan I based myself on - the legs look short because of the length and placement of the knee plates and of the leg rig.
    It's not the first time I'm hearing this though, at this point I'm considering lengthening the shin a bit to counter it.
  • kanga
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
  • Rikard86
    Offline / Send Message
    Obligatory monthly update

Progress going a bit slow due to personal life issues. What I got so far:

- pretty much finished the hipoly sculpt (gun and magazine excluded, they will be done separately). There are a few details missing but I'm planning to add them via height map along with a bit more definite paneling or work them in before finalizing the lowpoly.
    Among other stuff, some parts had to be cleared up bad or redone (ex. upper arm didn't allow for shoulder twist, carrier plates were generally messy and blobby). Reproportioned arms and legs a bit.

- Started lowpolying and UVing the parts that are already finalized and running test bakes. I also took some time to work on the skin material a bit, focusing on the face (the arms are in a much more WIP state and lacking detail such as scars), and to make a hair mesh that still needs some work. Eyes are just the hipoly eyes with vertex color, will get to them eventually.

will get back to you once the lowpoly is done, stay tuned
  • Rikard86
    Offline / Send Message
    model is lowpoly'd and every piece is unwrapped properly, UV sheets + baking is next. Final count is 109k, hair cards included.

• Rikard86
    Offline / Send Message
    well here's the high res texture pic that's currently making the rounds with my contacts for feedback, it's pretty final but I still need to add a couple things.

Next stop is making a couple placeholders for his props so I can get him posed before starting to work on his pistol, magazines, and the mug.

• jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    is it me, or does he feel like his legs are a bit too short?
  • 3DKlassen
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKlassen polycounter lvl 4
    This is rad! I love the detail in the props. Hard for me to tell on the leg length like Jose was mentioning. I probably would like to see one of the legs slightly longer than the other. Typically both are not amputated at the same exact spot.
  • Rikard86
    Offline / Send Message
    is it me, or does he feel like his legs are a bit too short?
    I've already lengthened them twice after various suggestions, and frankly they did look a bit short to me too even if he is around 8 heads tall. Once I posed him the sensation kinda went away:

i think it was the A-pose giving that impression, I don't know.

3DKlassen said:
    This is rad! I love the detail in the props. Hard for me to tell on the leg length like Jose was mentioning. I probably would like to see one of the legs slightly longer than the other. Typically both are not amputated at the same exact spot.
    Makes sense. Might end up moving the knee around a bit, although it also makes sense for the knee prothesis to hide the length difference.

Anyway, now onto the props to replace the very obvious placeholders.

• truemkar
    Offline / Send Message
    truemkar polycounter lvl 3
    Looks gread, maybe make it more colorful? Looks too faded for now )
  • Rikard86
    Offline / Send Message
    props made, lowpoly'd and baked. Pistol had to be flipped because the safety and the buttons on the front were on the wrong side considering he looks right handed going by the position of the holster. I'll get to texturing them pretty soon.

also fixed up his pose after some feedback I've received. Last one was a bit too stiff and didn't channel his body weight well so I had to rework it a bit.

getting closed to finishing, time to think about the final presentation.
  • Rikard86
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I'm calling him done before he gets out of hand and I end up working eleven more months on him

As per usual thanks, I'll see you soon