Home General Discussion

petition / windows restart

KurtR
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
KurtR polycounter lvl 7
This might be pointless, though, I started a petition to stop windows 10 from automatic restarting.

Replies

• PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    You need to cut off the last part of that url for people to view it without logging in:
    https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-stop-windows-10-from-automatic-restarting

This is the #1 reason I'm still on Windows 7. Forcing restarts is BS. Reminds me of Vista.
    I've heard though that the enterprise version of Windows 10 doesn't have this issue.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    pretty sure you can already do this via group policy editor or something.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Just set your active hours and press the option to shut down/update when you’re done? I’ve never had Windows 10 force a restart. 
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Wesley said:
    Just set your active hours and press the option to shut down/update when you’re done? I’ve never had Windows 10 force a restart. 
    They used to have an option to never have it restart unless you agreed. With active hours you can't really render something for a day or so, if that occasion arrives. The other day I had a few things I was working on open (max, zbrush, SP and MD), with a lot of tabs with documents and notes open. I was going to meditate, so I just put the computer to sleep while I was doing it, but Windows brute forced an update, even with MD unsaved. I just find that a bit too much to be honest. Even if I get some recovery out of it, you loose the flow when you are in the middle of something and it sets you back. Worst is of course not able to render long renders if you need to. So personally I would like to see the option to actually having to agree to restart the computer before it does it.
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    PolyHertz said:
    You need to cut off the last part of that url for people to view it without logging in:
    https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-stop-windows-10-from-automatic-restarting

This is the #1 reason I'm still on Windows 7. Forcing restarts is BS. Reminds me of Vista.
    I've heard though that the enterprise version of Windows 10 doesn't have this issue.
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Bek said:
    pretty sure you can already do this via group policy editor or something.
    Checked now, seems to only be something there for pro users.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Pro users can set up group policies to disable/schedule automatic restarts, and delay windows updates for fairly extended periods of time, and you can disable the Windows Update service through your services management - but there's a "medic" service that restarts this and kinda dicks you over from time to time.

Some time ago I ran across this, which seems to definitively resolve the whole "update service restarting automatically" thing:

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-2/

Might be worth checking out.

• Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    KurtR said:
    Wesley said:
    They used to have an option to never have it restart unless you agreed. With active hours you can't really render something for a day or so, if that occasion arrives. The other day I had a few things I was working on open (max, zbrush, SP and MD), with a lot of tabs with documents and notes open. I was going to meditate, so I just put the computer to sleep while I was doing it, but Windows brute forced an update, even with MD unsaved. I just find that a bit too much to be honest. Even if I get some recovery out of it, you loose the flow when you are in the middle of something and it sets you back. Worst is of course not able to render long renders if you need to. So personally I would like to see the option to actually having to agree to restart the computer before it does it.

I never thought about people using their computers for rendering, that's a completely legitimate issue. I'm surprised that you got caught out while meditating though - your active hours can be for 18 hours a day.

Have you tried using the 'pause updates' feature? I think it lets you postpone updates/restarts for 7 days at a time. You could just schedule a few moments in your week to manually update/restart and then postpone again.
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    During Windows 10 development Microsoft said their biggest failing was the fact people didn't keep their systems up to date allowing viruses and infections to spread to easily. Windows 10 specifically updates to prevent this. This being the case you/we would be asking Microsoft implement a feature that, turned off (or on depending on it being opt in or opt out), makes the network less secure, arguing a negative outcome in other words.
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Wesley said:
    KurtR said:
    Wesley said:

I never thought about people using their computers for rendering, that's a completely legitimate issue. I'm surprised that you got caught out while meditating though - your active hours can be for 18 hours a day.

Have you tried using the 'pause updates' feature? I think it lets you postpone updates/restarts for 7 days at a time. You could just schedule a few moments in your week to manually update/restart and then postpone again.
    I honestly haven't seen that function. But I probably should change how I work and have a deeper look at windows. I usually have a lot of information up on a topic, along with a project, for 2-3 days at a time, before restart. So this automatic restart has just made my workflow broken up and reset me some. Beside doing 3D, I do a lot of writing and has always a lot of information open at the same time, but Im moving towards a new way of working and just accepting this restart within a 24 hour cycle.
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    kat said:
    During Windows 10 development Microsoft said their biggest failing was the fact people didn't keep their systems up to date allowing viruses and infections to spread to easily. Windows 10 specifically updates to prevent this. This being the case you/we would be asking Microsoft implement a feature that, turned off (or on depending on it being opt in or opt out), makes the network less secure, arguing a negative outcome in other words.
    Well, that do make sense. I did stop it. However, there's so much dodgy business within these operating systems, like the spyware they had in windows 7, so It always makes me wonder when they remove functions that allows the user to decide how they want to use it. But as stated above, Ill rather just accept it for now and move to a slightly different way of working.
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 7
    Pro users can set up group policies to disable/schedule automatic restarts, and delay windows updates for fairly extended periods of time, and you can disable the Windows Update service through your services management - but there's a "medic" service that restarts this and kinda dicks you over from time to time.

Some time ago I ran across this, which seems to definitively resolve the whole "update service restarting automatically" thing:

https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-2/

Might be worth checking out.

Thanks buddy, Ill have a look :)