petition / windows restart

KurtR
polycounter lvl 6

Replies

  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz interpolator
    You need to cut off the last part of that url for people to view it without logging in:
    https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-stop-windows-10-from-automatic-restarting

    This is the #1 reason I'm still on Windows 7. Forcing restarts is BS. Reminds me of Vista.
    I've heard though that the enterprise version of Windows 10 doesn't have this issue.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek greentooth
    pretty sure you can already do this via group policy editor or something.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley Polycount Sponsor
    Just set your active hours and press the option to shut down/update when you’re done? I’ve never had Windows 10 force a restart. 
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 6
    Wesley said:
    Just set your active hours and press the option to shut down/update when you’re done? I’ve never had Windows 10 force a restart. 
    They used to have an option to never have it restart unless you agreed. With active hours you can't really render something for a day or so, if that occasion arrives. The other day I had a few things I was working on open (max, zbrush, SP and MD), with a lot of tabs with documents and notes open. I was going to meditate, so I just put the computer to sleep while I was doing it, but Windows brute forced an update, even with MD unsaved. I just find that a bit too much to be honest. Even if I get some recovery out of it, you loose the flow when you are in the middle of something and it sets you back. Worst is of course not able to render long renders if you need to. So personally I would like to see the option to actually having to agree to restart the computer before it does it.
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 6
    PolyHertz said:
    You need to cut off the last part of that url for people to view it without logging in:
    https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-stop-windows-10-from-automatic-restarting

    This is the #1 reason I'm still on Windows 7. Forcing restarts is BS. Reminds me of Vista.
    I've heard though that the enterprise version of Windows 10 doesn't have this issue.
    Thanks :)
  • KurtR
    Offline / Send Message
    KurtR polycounter lvl 6
    Bek said:
    pretty sure you can already do this via group policy editor or something.
    Checked now, seems to only be something there for pro users.
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycounter lvl 10
    Pro users can set up group policies to disable/schedule automatic restarts, and delay windows updates for fairly extended periods of time, and you can disable the Windows Update service through your services management - but there's a "medic" service that restarts this and kinda dicks you over from time to time.

    Some time ago I ran across this, which seems to definitively resolve the whole "update service restarting automatically" thing:

    https://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-2/

    Might be worth checking out.

  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley Polycount Sponsor
    KurtR said:
    Wesley said:
    Just set your active hours and press the option to shut down/update when you’re done? I’ve never had Windows 10 force a restart. 
    They used to have an option to never have it restart unless you agreed. With active hours you can't really render something for a day or so, if that occasion arrives. The other day I had a few things I was working on open (max, zbrush, SP and MD), with a lot of tabs with documents and notes open. I was going to meditate, so I just put the computer to sleep while I was doing it, but Windows brute forced an update, even with MD unsaved. I just find that a bit too much to be honest. Even if I get some recovery out of it, you loose the flow when you are in the middle of something and it sets you back. Worst is of course not able to render long renders if you need to. So personally I would like to see the option to actually having to agree to restart the computer before it does it.

    I never thought about people using their computers for rendering, that's a completely legitimate issue. I'm surprised that you got caught out while meditating though - your active hours can be for 18 hours a day.

    Have you tried using the 'pause updates' feature? I think it lets you postpone updates/restarts for 7 days at a time. You could just schedule a few moments in your week to manually update/restart and then postpone again.
  • kat
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 13
    During Windows 10 development Microsoft said their biggest failing was the fact people didn't keep their systems up to date allowing viruses and infections to spread to easily. Windows 10 specifically updates to prevent this. This being the case you/we would be asking Microsoft implement a feature that, turned off (or on depending on it being opt in or opt out), makes the network less secure, arguing a negative outcome in other words.
Sign In or Register to comment.