Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Victorian Office

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Darthice polycounter lvl 3
Hello!

I'm currently working on a little victorian office scene inside UE4. I'd really appreciate some feedback and critique on this piece. 

Current Progress

Key reference

Concept by Jian Zhi

Other reference

Blockout inside UE4

I had a bit of struggle with the scale of things, so I'd highly appreciate any feedback regarding that.
I'll update this thread as much as possible with any progress I do.

Thank you for reading !

Replies

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Look forward to see more! The entrance door looks a bit weird, super narrow-ish imo
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Great blocking out of lightning.
  • Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you! 

Went ahead and pushed the blockin a bit further today. Still very rough tho 

I decided to get a bit away from the initial concept to add a bit more story telling to the piece.
    Any feedback is welcome!

• gsokol
    This is a great start!  I love warm glow coming in from the window.  I liked your iterations from your post a little better, where the orange light was hitting the walls in the back of the room a little better.  I also think the space is a bit contrasty for a sun soaked room.  Maybe bump up the bounce on that sunlight, or try playing with the shadow strength/color?  Take a look at the shadows on the floor from your key ref as a good example.  Its not very dark.

As you were specifically interested in feedback about the scale.  If your goal is to get really close to your key ref, I think you could scale things up in the room a bit, especially vertically.  Old victorian homes could have ceilings that are like 13-14 feet high!  At the current height you have here, the ladder for the bookshelves is a bit of a stretch, as the scale dudes you have in your shots could *almost* reach the top shelf if they were on their tippy toes.  An additional advantage you could get here would be taller windows which means more of that lovely sunlight coming into the room.
  • Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol said:
    This is a great start!  I love warm glow coming in from the window.  I liked your iterations from your post a little better, where the orange light was hitting the walls in the back of the room a little better.  I also think the space is a bit contrasty for a sun soaked room.  Maybe bump up the bounce on that sunlight, or try playing with the shadow strength/color?  Take a look at the shadows on the floor from your key ref as a good example.  Its not very dark.

As you were specifically interested in feedback about the scale.  If your goal is to get really close to your key ref, I think you could scale things up in the room a bit, especially vertically.  Old victorian homes could have ceilings that are like 13-14 feet high!  At the current height you have here, the ladder for the bookshelves is a bit of a stretch, as the scale dudes you have in your shots could *almost* reach the top shelf if they were on their tippy toes.  An additional advantage you could get here would be taller windows which means more of that lovely sunlight coming into the room.

Thank you for the feedback!

I didn't touch the lighting at all between the iterations, weird. I put a neutral grey on everything tho, maybe that's why it seems a bit less orangy? I'll bump up that bounce light!

Regarding the scale, i'll iterate some more on that and see what'll come out! Having more sunlight coming in would definitely help, agreed.

• Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    After playing with the scale of the room a bit and pushing some props a bit further, I threw in some materials and made a second pass on the lighting.

Feedback still is welcome!
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Mood is coming along! I'd definitely tweak that ceiling which looks a bit too simple for the moment, plus flat planks like that are not super common in general, maybe something like this?
     Rsultat de recherche dimages pour victorian ceiling
  • Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ! 

Here's another update, played a bit more with the lighting, added some more materials and props and refined the roof a bit after the feedback. Everything is still very rough and in a blockout state.
    Any feedback is welcome!

• Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    One more update!
    This time I've finnished some props like the fireplace, the seats and the curtains. I'll model out everything else correctly in the next days!

• Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll just keep posting screenshots to keep track of my progress! Feel free to give any feedback.

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Nice work so far. I'm liking the assets and the lighting quite a bit.

I think it's a bit monochromatic at the moment though. Looking at the reference you get some nice tans, reds, gold, dark browns, etc. Right now your scene is really pink without many other colors to break it up.

I'd suggest making the walls a tan color, giving the curtains a more vibrant red with some nice sub surface scattering, and give the books more variations other than red and green.

Also I'd suggest making the assets in the foreground a bit darker with some DOF blur added as well.

Keep it up, it's coming together nicely.
  • Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jack M.
    Thank you for your feedback, much appreciated. I've worked on what you pointed and blocked in new textures. They still need a bit of work tho. That's what I've come up with. What do you think?

• Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    @Darthice Really huge improvement all around. It's giving me some really nice Bioshock Infinite vibes. I think the intensity of the left curtain in particular is a bit much. See if you can reduce the intensity a bit for that.

I think the lamps should have a much softer cone of light. Right now it's very sharp and noticeable.

Another note is I think your AO settings might be a bit too high. Particularly in the back corner with the ladder, it's very dark.

The peeling paint where the picture frame is isn't very convincing. You should probably either use parallax occlusion mapping with actual folds, or maybe consider removing it since it seems like a pretty well taken care of office. Instead you could use subtle dirt collection decals and subtle wear.

Your scene is really coming together and you've made some massive improvements. Keep it up man. Before long you'll have a really solid portfolio piece.
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Here's a quick paintover of what I mean by a few of the suggestions.

• Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jack M. Your feedback has really been a huge help. Thanks!  

Some more meshes to work on and i'll probably call this done.
  • Blaizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Cool scene, my first impression due to the lighting, was the image of a room/scene from bioshock infinite, and that's good.

Keep it up!
  • Darthice
    Offline / Send Message
    @Blaizer Thanks!

I'm calling this one done for now. 
    Thank you for all your feedback! 

You can see more shots on my ArtStation if you want to.