Home Marmoset

Toolbag 3.05 Crashing With Auto-Reload Meshes/Breaks File

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has experienced this issue or knows of a fix.

When baking with Marmoset I create a bake group, do my bakes as normal. I then make a change one of the high or low poly meshes outside of Marmoset, save and go back to Marmoset. Marmoset should auto-reload the mesh so I can rebake. Marmoset hangs for about 2 minutes and then crashes. If I then try re-open that marmoset file, it hangs for 2 minutes and then crashes. 

My only way around this currently is to remake my Marmoset file every single time I make any change to any mesh. This is happening with very small low poly meshes as well as larger high poly meshes and everything in between. Any change crashes and breaks the file.

I've tired reinstalling Marmoset as well as updating Nvidia drivers.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Hi Chad, I am sorry to hear about your problem. Can you verify which version of Toolbag you're using? The latest is 3.05 (3053), you can go to About -> Help to check the version. If you're not on 3053, please try updating, either by following the in-app update prompt or by downloading the installer from https://www.marmoset.co/toolbag

If that doesn't resolve the problem, please send a description of the problem and a copy of one of your crashing scenes to support@marmoset.co

• JackPerry
    Offline / Send Message
    JackPerry polycounter lvl 2
    Hey Guys,

I'm having the same, or at least similar problem and have been having so over the last couple of version updates. I'm currently running 3.07
    Either auto, or manual reloading of bake meshes hard crashes the program. It doesn't hang for me, just disappears.
    Neither mesh is particularly high poly.
    This is really slowing down my workflow and becoming quite frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • EarthQuake
    JackPerry said:
    Hey Guys,

I'm having the same, or at least similar problem and have been having so over the last couple of version updates. I'm currently running 3.07
    Either auto, or manual reloading of bake meshes hard crashes the program. It doesn't hang for me, just disappears.
    Neither mesh is particularly high poly.
    This is really slowing down my workflow and becoming quite frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Jack, could you please email support@marmoset.co so we can follow up with this problem?

Be sure to include as many details as possible, such as the application you're exporting from, file format, if there is anything unique about your scene (special objects or that sort of thing), and a copy of your Toolbag scene file and mesh files.
  • mrgesy
    Offline / Send Message
    mrgesy polycounter lvl 7
    @EarthQuake I have the same issue. I can't send the files because its work files. I seem to have found the culprit, hopefully its the only reason it crashes. I'm on 3.07

Basically all meshes need to have a _high and _low version in their groups. Any mesh that doesn't have a corresponding _high partner e.g cube101 will make the program crash during reloading when you reexport from software into Marmoset.

Cube.078 has no group, causing the program to crash on reload.
  • JackPerry
    Offline / Send Message
    JackPerry polycounter lvl 2
    @mrgesy I think you might have just cracked it! Thanks a lot :)

• Arthaven
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthaven polycounter lvl 8
    @mrgesy Thanks for the update! I'm going to confirm this in-house and proceed from there. 
  • GuilMB
    @@mrgesy
    I can confirm, at least in my case i have the same behaviour. Just found this thread while trying to understand what happend.
    I have a solo mesh with an auto generated name, renamed it and no more problems (in 3.07 for me)

• Mr-Brett
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr-Brett polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks @mrgesy I've been getting this for months and could not figure out why it worked sometimes but not others. You have saved me a lot of frustration! :smile:
  • Dawsky
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
    Push.

Been having this problem since i started using marmoset with 3.04 i think.
    Toolbag crashes when auto reloading high or low poly meshes.
    Its not happening always, but enough to be annoying, sometimes breaking the file so i have to setup a new one.
    Also i cannot seem to figure out any reproducible case.

Here are a few cases where it happend:
    It happens after simply reexporting meshes from maya, with minor uv changes, or changes to triangulation.
    It happens after changing something regarding the material of an object, that has already been imported to toolbag before.
    It happens after adding/deleting meshes to/from the low and/or highpoly fbx, then trying to auto reload

I cannot provide any files i'm afraid, as they are from wotk.

On a sidenote:
    Recently, i think since 3.07, marmoset will reset skewpainting aswell as cage modifications when reimporting high or low poly models, so i have to paint skews over and over again when altering a model at a later time. If i recall correct, this bug has been intoduced before, and had already been fixed. Seems to be back again, at least for me.

My setup.
    Exporting fbx 2019 from maya 2018.6
    Toolbag 3.07
    (I always export/bake triangulated meshes, so no weird n-gon topology that may corrupt the fbx)

Windows 10 x64 Update 1809 (KB4503864)
    32GB DDR4-3600
    I9-9900K
    GTX 1080 (currently on 430.86, but happened with any driver in the last 6 month at least)
    Samsung 850 EVO

EDIT:

The solution from mrgesy doesnt help me, as i always export my meshes with _low and _high suffix. Yet its crashing.
  • EarthQuake
    Dawsky said:
    Push.

Been having this problem since i started using marmoset with 3.04 i think.
    Toolbag crashes when auto reloading high or low poly meshes.
    Its not happening always, but enough to be annoying, sometimes breaking the file so i have to setup a new one.
    Also i cannot seem to figure out any reproducible case.

Here are a few cases where it happend:
    It happens after simply reexporting meshes from maya, with minor uv changes, or changes to triangulation.
    It happens after changing something regarding the material of an object, that has already been imported to toolbag before.
    It happens after adding/deleting meshes to/from the low and/or highpoly fbx, then trying to auto reload

I cannot provide any files i'm afraid, as they are from wotk.

On a sidenote:
    Recently, i think since 3.07, marmoset will reset skewpainting aswell as cage modifications when reimporting high or low poly models, so i have to paint skews over and over again when altering a model at a later time. If i recall correct, this bug has been intoduced before, and had already been fixed. Seems to be back again, at least for me.

My setup.
    Exporting fbx 2019 from maya 2018.6
    Toolbag 3.07
    (I always export/bake triangulated meshes, so no weird n-gon topology that may corrupt the fbx)

Windows 10 x64 Update 1809 (KB4503864)
    32GB DDR4-3600
    I9-9900K
    GTX 1080 (currently on 430.86, but happened with any driver in the last 6 month at least)
    Samsung 850 EVO

EDIT:

The solution from mrgesy doesnt help me, as i always export my meshes with _low and _high suffix. Yet its crashing.
    We're working on a 3.08 patch which should resolve most of these issues. It should be out soon. If you're still experiencing problems when 3.08 is released please let me know.
  • Dawsky
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawsky polycounter lvl 9
    We're working on a 3.08 patch which should resolve most of these issues. It should be out soon. If you're still experiencing problems when 3.08 is released please let me know.
    Thanks for letting us know. Looking forward to it!