Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Saitama (One Punch Man)

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
MMKH polycounter lvl 11
Updated: Sun. May 19, 2019: Almost done now, going to give the character model a base to stand on and make minor adjustments to achieve a closer likeness if I can. :)

Update (Tue. May 7, 2019): New 2nd version with a serious action pose! :)

Sketchfab:

Here's what I have been working on the side for a few days. I'll be doing another version in an action pose with the serious expression and capture more of Saitama's likeness. Hope you guys like it and feedback is appreciated. :)

Sketchfab:

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    It's obvious that you're using the old duplicate mesh, invert normals trick to get the outline. But there are some problem areas where you need to correct the face positions on the inverted neck, for example around the neck line, and the clasps holding his cloak in place.
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    It's obvious that you're using the old duplicate mesh, invert normals trick to get the outline. But there are some problem areas where you need to correct the face positions on the inverted neck, for example around the neck line, and the clasps holding his cloak in place.
    Hi almighty_gir, is there a better way to get the black outline that you would recommend? Or how may I go about improving the way the outline is rendered?

I just found a tutorial on creating a shader HDR file using Blender, which I followed until I found out that a PRO account on Sketchfab is needed to upload custom environment maps (to upload the HDR file to get the nice effect).
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Here's a 2nd version in a serious action pose! :)

Sketchfab:
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Honestly? the inverted mesh method is a solid way of doing this kind of outline, you just need to refine your meshes a little, pay close attention to unwanted intersections, etc.
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Attempting a hi-poly sculpt for a more "realistic" or detailed version. :)

Reference:

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update - Fri. May 10, 2019: More progress with the sculpt. Was trying a couple things out and then unexpectedly did something which helped capture his likeness a bit more :smile:

"Flat Sketch" Material applied:

Closeup:

Pearl material applied:

Closeup:

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Small update: Today I attempted to tweak his face to look more like the reference or as close to the character's likeness from the anime. Any advice? Thanks :)

The third picture was shopped to get a better "toon shading" effect.

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Mon. May 13, 2019: Sculpted the cape, some creases in his suit, and adjusted his proportions slightly. :smiley: 

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Wed. May 15, 2019: Made some adjustments to his overall head, ears, and did a zremesh pass. Entire model is currently about 92K polygons.

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Fri. May 17, 2019: Did the hand-painted diffuse texture.  I may end up doing a manual retopo of the cape, and lower the polygon count in the eyes to better optimize the model. :smile:

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Sun. May 19, 2019: Retopo'd the cape, skinned, rigged, and posed the character. Added the black outline. The character model itself is around 30K polygons.

• MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    Update: Mon. May 20, 2019: Now on Sketchfab! :smile:

Bonus - Metalness map for that sweet, shiny bald head :p

• NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Looks super! Great job!
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    NikhilR said:
    Looks super! Great job!
    Thanks NikhilR :smile:
  • robzxy94
    Offline / Send Message
    robzxy94 polycounter lvl 5
    that high poly is not really well done . I suggest learning some anatomy and proportions . maybe grab a scan and study it 

• Thomas_Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas_Smith polycounter lvl 3
    Awesome. Have you looked at freestyle rendering in Blender? If you're still having difficulty with the outline
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    robzxy94 said:
    that high poly is not really well done . I suggest learning some anatomy and proportions . maybe grab a scan and study it 

Yes I understand that the anatomy and proportions can always be better. The high poly version I began with had realistic proportions, but the character's head is larger than normal. I've made adjustments to his height and length of limbs since then for the final. I'll make sure all of this is solid in my next project before moving on to further steps.
    Awesome. Have you looked at freestyle rendering in Blender? If you're still having difficulty with the outline
    Thanks. :) I did a quick search on it, it seems like it can be useful. I'm more interested in a real-time rendering of the outline though, which is why I opted for the old school method of inverting normals on an expanded, duplicated mesh for displaying the model on Sketchfab. I was considering playing around with Unreal Engine instead and using one of the free cel-shaders there for future projects.