Home Technical Talk

Maya Arnold Render

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
VinodSharma polycounter lvl 7
Hi Guys,
Can some one please help me out for the metal render with procedural textures in maya,
I have tried with Maya mixshader and layershader and got the render (Image 1),which is so plain looking,I also played with bump with noise still not getting what is in the other images, Please help me for how to get the brekups as there are in render done by RomanLovygin.
Thansk 

Following  Renders are done by Roman Lovygin

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Your scene is too brightly lit. It's like a studio render. It's blowing out any details you might have and washes out all the forms. Roman's is much darker and more contrasted. It also looks like he is using different coloured lighting in opposition which creates an atmospheric look(the image is probably post processed as well, which can make a huge difference to the final look)
  • betapilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    betapilot polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with musashidan.  Also it looks like your roughness map needs more variation and contrast.  For example, making it rougher in areas where grime might gather, shinier in convex areas and adding small areas with extra shine to make it sparkle when the light hits it just right.  

• VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ,should I remove the HDRI image?
    And especially I am looking for the bumpiness which give the feel of an old iron, Is it coming from bump map or It is displacement?
    Thanks 

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can lower your hdri brightness down for ambient light and use direct lights for interesting areas of shadow and light.

Displacement will give the best results. Arnold uses an autobump feature to enhance the details.

The microfacets of the bump and roughness is where your material will really start to look realistic. As betapilot says, really concentrate on creating an interesting roughness map. You can vary this in a multiblend shader with grime/dust/dirt mask maps.
  • VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, So Do i need  to sculpt like Iron and bake the displacement from it ?or simple procedural noise as a displacement will work  and also I will try again with low  intensity of HDRI light ,Let's see how it comes.

Thanks 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's entirely up to you. Use whatever methods you need to get the result you want.
  • VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay So I am trying the procedural noise as displacement .
    Thanks  
  • VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Guys,

I have tried and caught up with a render below.
    In this render I have not used the HDRI only area lights are used and also displacement are also used , What problem I am facing again the green circle render is still  processing  actually what i want to the final render but the finished render is in red circle, which is again plain and shiny, Can anyone please share the idea because of what It is coming like that, Also I am sharing the reference image done by Rodion Vlasov, if you see in this image there are some breakups not like shiny as my render.
    Left one is my render and the one is Rodion work.
    Please help me out.
    Thanks 

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    If you want some "noise" in your specular reflections then you need to add some small noise to your bump- or displacement-textures.

You can add a bump texture on top that has a fine noise pattern.

If your displacement already has fine details then you can enable autobump in arnold. This will turn fine displacements into bump.
  • VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I will work on same.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The material still doesn't look convincing. It's halfway between wet stone with brown dirt and rusty metal. It doesn't read very well. You should start from scratch and work on one shader at a time. First get the base metal looking right before adding more shaders like rust/etc. Trying to tweak everything at once means you're missing the details as you're trying to take everything in at once. Break it down and things should become more clear for you.

Overall I would say your maps lack variation. That rust is too saturated and has no hue/tonal variation at all. Also, the roughness is too noisy and glossy. The roughness is such an important map and you should also isolate this channel alone and concentrate on getting that right.
  • VinodSharma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks , Ya As you said , i am working on each material sperately ,Also I m using the displacement for breaking the surface.
    Also I will be sharing the renders for separate material for each , like for base metal and when i satisfy with that ,after then only i will add the rust and dirt.
    Thanks for support.