Home Technical Talk

3ds max reaction manager - rotation problem

Sj1
Hi, my first post here, glad to be a member of this community so many great artists here. I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction with my amateur animation problem...

I'm doing some finger curls on a rig with reaction manager and after I create my state and return the spinner on the custom attribute to zero, the starting position of the finger is different to it's original position, like the axis has been moved in a direction that wasn't even applied. I had a Google and seemed to have found the reason is due to transforms not being frozen. Is this the problem? If so I have 2 questions;

1. I know how to freeze transforms by alt right clicking but which objects am I freezing? The whole rig minus the parts I'm working on?
  2. Once the transforms are frozen, how do I unfreeze them?

Image attached for clarification.
Thanks.

Replies

• Sj1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sj1
    I tried freezing all the transforms and it's still doing the same thing. I had to fix it in edit mode by rotating the bone in the first state back to its correct position. WTF!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Do you have the ref coord system set to local? When you first create a bone you should freeze the transform and use transform to zero to set it back to its default state. Resetting the Xform in Max is what clears rotation/scale data, not freeze transform.

Also, you can lock axis in the Link Info tab of the Hierarchy panel.
  • Sj1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sj1
    Hi musashidan, thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long to get back to it!
    The coordinate system was in world. I tried freezing transforms but I didn't try setting transforms to zero, not sure how to, nevertheless, I was able to rectify the issue by editing the reaction after it was created.