Home Technical Talk

Arnold render

juanoblagu
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, so im trying to learn how to render and texture character like disney/pixar (mostly for animation and film since thats my dream job) and im trying to figure out the sss  look and all, im using the oldest arnold version, exported the maps im using from substance painter, i like how is looking right now but i wanted to know how do you guys approach the subsurface scattering thing (do you create the map from the same diffuse or do you create it separate, where do you create it?) if you have more input it is more than welcome! many thanks in advance.

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    What do you mean you're using the oldest Arnold version? Latest Arnold core has a much improved Randomwalk2 SSS algorithm. Are you using ALsurface skin shader?

You can either bake a thickness map in Painter or paint a greyscale map yourself (or combine the 2) This is used as a mask(thinner areas of the head like ears will be white) to drive the overall SSS effect.

I don't know what you mean by the 'scattering thing' Do you mean the SSS global strength?(see above) or one of the 3 layers of the ALsurfaceshader?
  • juanoblagu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juanoblagu polycounter lvl 6
    What do you mean you're using the oldest Arnold version? Latest Arnold core has a much improved Randomwalk2 SSS algorithm. Are you using ALsurface skin shader?

You can either bake a thickness map in Painter or paint a greyscale map yourself (or combine the 2) This is used as a mask(thinner areas of the head like ears will be white) to drive the overall SSS effect.

I don't know what you mean by the 'scattering thing' Do you mean the SSS global strength?(see above) or one of the 3 layers of the ALsurfaceshader?
    i am using the newest version of arnold(maya) sorry it was late at night. im gonna try the thickness map.
    and yeah i mean the sss global, im using the aiStandardSurface that comes with arnold, not the alshaders.