Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post Apocalyptic Ronin

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
Hi PolyCounters :)
I started a new project and i wanted to take you all on my "skill-grow-trip" x-D

If you have ANY advices/blames/praises or what ever, please share it with me, 
as an aspiring artist i guess there is no better chance to grow beside other great artsists who tell each other what is wrong or what can be improoved!

This is the concept of giorgio baroni 
(to clear things up, i asked him if it is ok if i realize his concept, just in case ;) )

Concept:

Current Progress:

blocked out rough shapes:

and created clothing in MD:

than i refined some of the blockouts:

imported as new avatar, translated the stuff from the chest away and importat that as a "morph target" to get a bwetter simulated-looking cloth:

Replies

• Aydhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    i feel like your cahracter's body could use better definition but keep it up and see what happens :) only way to improve is to keep working.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe said:
    i feel like your cahracter's body could use better definition but keep it up and see what happens :) only way to improve is to keep working.
    Thanks for your reply Aydhe!
    Yes the body is still super alpha, what i have planned is that i define the arms/hands more (like muscular and here and there a few veins)
    Also the shooes are still missing (looking like some adidas sneakers or so)
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

modeled and rendered the katana to get a first impression of it

i am not sure if i should bake those "straps" around the grip onto the grip itself or keep the striips to "maintain" a better feeling/shape

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    udated some parts

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, I'm a little late here but I think you haven't got the proportions nailed down perfectly. Mmost of the gear in the concept feels a good bit larger to my eye. Seems like the helmet could almost fit two heads inside, and the shoulder pads dwarf his arms.

Your folds and details look nice to me, but much of the character is in those proportions so I'd recommend double checking them, but also don't feel slave to the reference, just try to match the same feeling you get from it is the main thing.
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alex Javor Hey! Thanks alot for your reply and thanks alot for your suggestions and input!

About the Hat, you where right so i adjustet the size a bit and it fits much more closer to the ref.

Can you elaborate about the "Mmost of the gear in the concept feels a good bit larger to my eye", i am not quirte sure what gears you mean?

The shouder pads is something i am fighting a bit, i once had it like in the ref. but changed it because i would had some trouble when i wanted to bend his arm the pad was in the way, then i changed it so the arm could bend again. Yesterday i hit me, i could have leave it as it was, i only have to add "space" between the arm and the pad (something like a thick bandage where the pad is attached to the arm).

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    It seems to me that the reference shoulder pads are wider and also more curved. Contours with the shape of the arm more. Notice how the bottom plate's protrusion angles down more and almost covers the elbow. Your guy feels more exposed. He seems to be wearing gear fittied for him, whereas ref looks like a child laden with adults clothing. Very burdened.

Also, I just noticed the shape of the hose from the mask is very different in reference. It's a better shape in the ref.

I think your backpack straps are too small. In the ref they are very large and cover up most of his torso. Looks like the design is mimicking an army parachute, so if you need to understand the construction better might do some research on t-10 parachute 

Good work, keep it up.

• goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It feels about right what you say, i will try to implement your advices here!
    especially the part with "child laden with adults clothing"