Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(FINISHED) [UE4] Area 51

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
tythomas063 greentooth
Hello, everyone. Hope all of you are having a great day.  

I've chosen Joe Gloria's concept art( https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BXRz ) to practice on making modular assets based on Sci-Fi design. This project will be a portfolio piece. 

In the current state of my project, the project is mixed with block out and finished props that are already unwrapped with UV maps. The door and ceiling are just blocked out with rough shapes. The wall, floor, and devices are completed. The props are mainly made with face-weighted normal which means I won't make the high polygon models to save times. I believe I can get a lot more details by painting detail on the normal map in substance painter.

Any critiques on the modeling and scale would be very much appreciated. 

Cheers! 

Concept Art: 

My Scene: 

Replies

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hey, everyone! Hope all of you are doing great. Over the past few days, I have been working on the textures for big parts in this scene. I used substance designer to create the material for the floor. Other than that, I used the substance painter to texture the rest of the props. 

Next thing I will be working on is the large devices and some part of the wall around the scene. Btw, I don't think I will be adding the cylinder piece and cable on the main door because I don't see the purpose of it and it most likely will block the door from opening. Unless you guy think there is a purpose behind those objects on the main door in concept art? 

Here are the new screenshots of my project so far. Let me know if there is anything that I should fix with scale, modeling and textures. the lighting is still at an early stage. 

Any feedback will be very appreciated. Cheers! 

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'd keep the piston on the door, just find a way to integrate it. Definitely makes the door look more interesting in the concept. Your scene is looking cool so far!

I feel like the proportions are a bit off. The concept gives off a feeling of a door which isn't opened much. The door is narrow, there is a large piece where you need to step over to step through the door, heck, there seems to be ledges on the floor leading up to it. There's no way you're going to bring something large through here. Your door is pretty wide and at the end of a hallway, which gives off a slightly different feeling. In the concept, it doesn't seem like this is at the end of a hallway, more in a hallways corner (I've drawn what I see, sorry for the crap drawing haha)

• artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    I know this is super early, but maybe do a material block out of the area (like a paint over color map) that way you ensure there is alot of variety in material type

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Love the website's design earlier today lol. Happy birthday, Polycount!

@Ashervisalis Thanks for your feedback especially with your drawing. It helps me to understand what you're talking about. I'm still working on the piston on the door to make it work well with the door. 

I adjusted the proportions with the door as I tried to make it more narrow. What do you mean about the ledges? I adjusted it to move the ledges front of the door down to match the concept art's scale. But I'm not sure what you mean by the large piece. 

I went ahead with your drawing but I decided to make a stair in that hallway to make the design looks interesting. Is this new scene fits what with you're talking about? 

Thanks for your help, man! 

@artofmars I never made a block out with materials but do you basically mean I should add base materials to the props with a different color to see how the colors work together? 

Here are the new screenshots. Any feedback will be very appreciated. Cheers! 

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Oh, by ledges, I think I meant the concept has stairs leading up to the door, they just don't seem enough like stairs to have called them so. I look forward to the end piece!
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    I think I understand what you're talking about. I'm gonna try to fix that as much I can. Thanks, man! 

Hey, everyone. Here is an update on my project. Recently I was working on the texture for the large devices. I already have several references images from Titanfall, Halo, and other games but I mainly use Joshua Lynch's prop as a reference because I really like the way his texture looks. 

I think I still need to fix the monitor's broken glass texture. 

I also edited the lighting a bit because the shadow looks too dark before. So I brighten up the shadow a bit to have less harsh contrast. 

Any feedback will be appreciated! :) 

Joshua Lynch's Control Box Texture Reference: 

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hey, everyone. Hope all of you are having a great weekend. Here are some updates on my project so far.

• Created the texture for the small devices on the wall
    • Modeled the device on the door that keeps the door closed
    • Adjusted the post process to add the greenish color to the scene lightly to match the concept art's color

Any feedback on the model, texture, and lighting will be very much appreciated! 

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Updates:

• Edited the lighting with few changes
    • Edited the post process with color grading
    • Added the stair
    • Textured the parts on the door and stairs
    • Added the decal of dirt to the ground
    • Added the smokes and particles to the level

Any feedback will be very much appreciated. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to make this more awesome. I think the only last thing I need to do is to add "A-51" decal and crate.  Have a great day, everyone! 

Concept Art ( so it's easier for you to see for comparison) : 

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Hello, everyone! Hope all of you are doing great. 

The project, Area 51, is done!

If any of you see anything that I should fix something, then let me know. I'm more than happy to get any feedback to improve this project. I'm just not sure how to push it further.

The project was a lot of fun and I learned a lot about making modular assets, sci-fi designs and substance designer. 

Cheers! 

"Gameplay" Video: 

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/329963104" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    <p><a href="">Area51_Gameplay</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user56604512">Tyler Thomas</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work, this may be a matter of taste but I think the floor is kinda boring, the concept has some change in elevation on the floor but even in the concept the floor texture isnt particularly interesting. Maybe some nice reflective puddles in there would help, seeing as the roof is broken that could make sense. Nice atmosphere to it too.
  • Acr3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Acr3D polycounter lvl 2
    I enjoyed reading your progress and think its great outcome! I'd suggest just making your floor material more interesting.
  • tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Just want to say thank you all for the support and critiques. I really appreciate seeing my work on the front page! 

@Ged Thank you, Glenn! I agree with you about the design of the floor. It is something that is my weakness to design a prop based on sci-fi design. I went ahead to make some change to the floor. 

What do you think of this image(Below) now? I also added the water puddles but it's kinda hard to see. 

@Acr3D Thank you! I'm glad to hear that. I'm still trying to improve my floor material but I'm having a hard time on that. I made a new floor. What do you think? 

Or

I don't know if this is an improvement or worse now lol.  Any help will be appreciated. 

It was inspired by these reference photos I've found. 

• marco_3D_artist
    Offline / Send Message
    marco_3D_artist polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, really nice Work!! :)
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I like the first floor you showed, the second seems a bit too busy and too symmetrical. In the initial concept you show for this room the floor is reflective like there is water or puddles, that could help too and makes sense if the roof has caved in. Would be nice to see a little more rubble in the room too in my opinion cause the roof went somewhere. Nice work anyway.