Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Art Improvement Thread - C&C Welcomed!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
Hello Everyone! 

So I'm making this post to start documenting my progress and growth as an artist while getting feedback from the poly count community on my artwork so that I can continue to develop my skill set. Currently I'm working on fleshing out my portfolio so this will serve as a good motivator to keep at it and push myself! I will post Wips, finished renders, breakdowns, studies, and occasionally some good looking 3D assets. So I encourage criticism, tips & tricks, and pictures of your doggos and / or puppers. 

More images and stuff to follow! 

Replies

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First project up is an older one that I am pulling off the shelves and reworking. Currently have same basic lighting set up, basic materials, and the walls are at least set up. My current sprint is working on the roof fidelity and polishing that up, before moving on to populating the scene with oodles of props 'n stuff! 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overhauled the lighting with this pass, and worked in substance designer to create the Ivy and grass. Currently blocking out a tree, but I still have a horde of props to knock out. 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played around with light settings added a few more props into the scene. 

Also started looking into better foliage practices and hope to implement that into the next milestone! But current process and experimentation with tree models, which I hope to use to quickly generate a dense background. 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took a mini break between work and my environment to work on this prop. Would love to get some feedback on it! 

Original concept by Fernando Correa, website -> [ Link ]  

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overhauled most of the prop thanks to feedback! The list of changes include, 
    • Adjusted contrast and renders of the image
    • Shortened the blade
    • Thickened the compartment, pipes, and straps
    • Adjusted and played around a lot with the curvature map 
    • Removed blurred components and increased the redness in the blade
    • Added a gradient to the blade
    • Changed and re-sculpted the ribbon
    • Increased roughness
    • Reduced emissive
    • Lots of layers adjustments in Painter

It was a pretty nice break from things and a fun piece overall! 

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good work! where are those metal bits that hold the yellow canister in place? the hot glow on base doesn't seem bright enough to me also the glow in the concept looks strongest along the sharp edge where yours looks more blobby. some of the splat details near the base of the sword would be cool too. also a point light in your presentation near the blade so that it looks like its lighting the sword like in the concept would be really great! this is really good but could be truly kick ass with a few more touches.
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah great work on the blade ! My personnal opinion but I think I would accentuate the metalness of metallic part. It is metal, but I find that I don't feel enough the metal :)

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged @Lether thank you both for the feedback! I'm planning to rework the metal map later this evening. I ended up reworking it some more after I posted this cause it wasn't sitting right with me so this is where it is at currently. Still need to bump that metal though. 

As for those metal bits, I see now they get lost so will increase the size of them. But here is the current image that went pretty late last night tweaking lol  

- Edit - 
    holy guacamole, this is front page  :#

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Messed around with the metal some more and tried playing with that point light suggestion, but might be a little to strong for the first render? But gotta call it for the night. 

• Lou_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lou_ polycounter lvl 6
    Hey man one thing you could try is having a gradient to the heat applied on the blade. Surely is the blade is producing the heat at the base the heat would not be the same all the way through. Also it might give you more interesting colors to play with. 
  • Lether
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lether polycounter lvl 8
    Okay for the metal :p Cannot wait to see your work finished :D !
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some edits (between trick-or-treaters) to the lighting to cut back on the intensity of the shine and added a gradient. Happy Halloween everyone! 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to sneak in one more asset before the end of the year. 

Working on some tank designs by James McDonald. Was able to knock this first tank out today, going to get to the rest in the coming week

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't manage to wrap it up before the new year but still hammering away at it! Got all three blocked out, so next step is rounding out some edges and texturing. 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wrapped this up for a client. Initial concepts to demonstrate how an AR Game would look in a clients store, utilizing the Magic Leap. 

More renders can be found on my portfolio!  Link in the footer. 
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going through big life updates but found some time to come back to this WIP

Looking at it now, probably go back through and add more color variation to the model. Would love some C&C!
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some more progress on the tanks this evening. Have two more to UV and texture, then gotta make some small diorama elements for a good display base

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Been a while between updates but currently I am not digging the direction this is going. Lots of silly errors and texturing isn't coherent. Going to be scrapping the textures and reworking some parts of the models. 
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, and welcome back to my long crawl with this project! A few edits that have happened include creating a display platform and reworking the textures and style. The previous two versions of the tank's textures felt very matte and clay like. So decided to take another shot at it keeping the textures very simple by removing the decals and dirt while working more with the metal maps. I'll probably see y'all again in a few months when I have the time to redo the main body!  

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the a Tank done, liking the change a little bit more! 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making some progress on the other variations. One more left and some set props and then I can crank out some nicer renders! 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I feel like I'm getting closer to the end of this project (finally)

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally wrapping up this project and calling it done! You can find more renders on my portfolio!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/0Xw23K

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back at again, this time looking into replicating the art style from Hinterland's game, The Long Dark. Got a block out going today now gotta work on some textures! 

C&C always welcomed! 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried my hand at doing some low poly characters over the weekend while taking a quick break from TLD environment  :)

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did another pass at the character by removing the shader, added more topology to for wrinkles, and reworked the face a bit  

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been chipping away at my small diorama for The Long Dark. Worked on some textures, UV'd, and re-positioned the camera.

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well I'm back at it! Still have some smaller props and assets to finish up. Also got to add a small fire! 
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still making edits to this piece, as finding time for personal projects has gotten slim =)

Basically I have gone back through and begun to clean up or redo some of the temp materials. Updated the wood, smaller props, and chest. Still need to replace the proxy brick material and adjust the windows and replace the picture frame material. The wood material gets a little lost so will bump up that saturation and AO.

As always, I'm open to C&C! 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did quite a bit of work since the last update. Mostly lighting and materials! Probably can get away with one or two more edits but it's definitely getting closer to being done  =)

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Calling this one done! 

You can find more renders over on my ArtStation!
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/28mnKA
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some substance designer materials for the Mayterials 2021 Challenge hosted by The Club. Only now getting around to sharing them! These are just a few renders but I have more over on my portfolio if you want to see more!

Link to more materials -> Mayterials 2021 

• Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Well it has been some time since my last post. Figured I would throw this one out there for some feedback and critiques! I still have a little more to go with two more campfire like props and finalizing the lighting.