Home Unreal Engine

Normals Rendering Oddly in Unreal 4 (Solved)

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Nanobait polycounter lvl 2
Hey All,
We have encountered an issue within Unreal while importing textures. Currently we are in the process of animating our dinosaur characters and bringing them into Unreal to test. Prior to importing the animated asset, textures were popping up just fine on the static object. The issue appears to specifically be with the normal map as it is way to strong as if it has been multiplied by something and it appears very shiny. We're wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and might know a solution. We appreciate any help we can get, thank you!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Yep, that looks very wrong indeed. Show an example material setup, and an example normal map.
  • Nanobait
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura said:
    Yep, that looks very wrong indeed. Show an example material setup, and an example normal map.
    Here's the material setup and normal map:

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Is your packed map in linear colour (uncheck sRGB)? I doubt that would cause the issue here though. Try removing connections to roughness, AO etc... and plug in solid colours to debug, maybe create a new material in case the shader parameters got altered somehow.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Are the errors only visible on the shadowed side? If so, then its your occlusion map.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I don't think it's occlusion.

Those look like severely borked normals to me - the sort of thing you'd get if you put a world space map into a tangent space shaped hole. 

Try the material on a static mesh like a sphere and post the results up

Assuming the material doesn't do anything weird I'd be looking at the mesh
  • Nanobait
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!
    We were able to figure it out and the issue was the mesh coming in from Maya to Unreal. It was a couple of check boxes, one in Maya to export Normals and Bi Normals in the game exporter and then unchecking LOA's in Unreal when importing the FBX.