Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CGMA Mod Environment WIP Thread

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Port-Seven polycounter lvl 7
Most recent WIP shot:

-------
I'm currently enrolled in the Modular Environment CGMA course and wanted to created a thread to share my work in progress. I don't have enough experience creating these types environments, along with trim sheets, which is why I decided to invest the time to learn these things. I hope you'll offer feedback, resources, opinions, etc. as I complete the course. :)

After contemplating several ideas for my scene I eventually settled on creating a small warehouse environment, specially a loading bay. I have a Pinterest board dedicated to reference that I've gathered and am continuing to collect as I go. It currently looks like this:

I spent the first week setting up the grid system in Max and creating some basic meshes that I can snap together to create my environment. These pieces aren't final in any way. Right now they're allowing me to get a feel of how the scene might come together in the engine, what works and what doesn't, what additional pieces I would like to have, etc. This is what I've initially came up with:

Currently I'm importing these meshes into Unreal and taking the first pass at blocking out my scene:

Replies

• Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    looks nice so far.
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sage - Thank you :)

Based on some feedback of the initial wall meshes that I had blocked out at 300 x 300 (and alternative pieces at 300 x 600, 300 x 150, etc.) I've adjusted the walls now to tile around a 400 x 400 measurement to make it easier to work with the textures and trim sheets. I re-imported the some of the meshes into the engine today and took another pass at the block out. Not much has changed that's obvious, and this is what it currently looks like:

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    This week's progress includes a tiling metal trim sheet, among other tiling material creation and some high poly modeling.

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Started doing a few test bakes of the trim in Marmoset tonight:

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    First pass at some of these trims:

• Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    looking good! i have been considering taking that course. what do you think of it so far?
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    @Taylor Brown Thanks :) Really worth it, highly recommend!
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Some WIP shipping boxes for the scene:

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    A small update. Focusing on getting some of my main materials set up so I can properly see what needs fixing. Still only preview lighting as well, but I should have some basic lights going in next week.

• hublus
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    Well done, looking forward next updates!
  • Lokidottir
    Offline / Send Message
    Lokidottir polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work, gonna be following this thread as I am looking at taking this coarse soon, looking forward to seeing you bring this all together 🙂
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments! I've been finishing up some meshes and textures during this past week and I do have some basic lights in, but it's still preview. I was working on some variations of the boxes tonight:

• Daniel91
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel91 triangle
    Some WIP shipping boxes for the scene:

this environment is looking great, one thing i noticed is with these shipping boxes.

in my experience they only normally put the corner bits of cardboard on the top of the pallet/stack, as the point of it is to protect the boxes from being damaged by straps when loading them onto a truck, or by straps holding them to the pallet.

they wouldnt normally put them on the bottom, as the strapping would stretch out and only contact at the top, plus it would make the stack unstable, as those corner bits are actually pretty thick (sometimes made from plastic as well)

its a very minor detail and i doubt many people will notice it, (iv spent a lot of time unloading pallets and boxes haha)

like i said, very minor detail, but if your going for super ultra realism, it might be handy to know, especially as it looks like there will be a lot of these in the scene.

another thing to note is the pallets that are on the shelving, i would vary them up a little bit if you can, add a slight turn to some of them so they arent perfectly straight, and maybe have some sticking in further than others

iv only just started modeling, but i have spent a fair amount of time in a warehouse driving forklifts and moving pallets around

hope you dont mind the comments

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    @Daniel91 - That makes sense, thanks for the info! It won't take any time to remove the cardboard bits at all. Feel free to comment additionally on anything based on your experience of working in a warehouse, or otherwise. :)  I began nudging the pallets around quite late last night also to try and get a more natural vibe to the scene:

• Daniel91
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel91 triangle
    thats about all i can think of, you could add a bunch of safety signs around, there are normally forklift in use signs and stuff like that

with my comment about moving the pallets around, keep in mind i might just be a really bad forklift operator haha, but i found it hard to get everything even

**edit**

just thought, you could also put some signs on the racking with numbers or locations

normally they would have something like a 'bin' number or if its some kind of freight company, the shelves might be labeled with the name of where they are going or where they came from

also a 'goods inward' and 'goods outward' sign

these kinds of details do kind of depend on what kind of warehouse it is and what they do though

**edit again**

this one im not sure about, but forklifts do tend to leave tyre marks on the floor and sometimes scratches from the forks if they were too low when driving, iv attached some pictures, but you might find adding this kind of detail will make the scene really noisy and draw the eye away from the rest of it

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    @Daniel91 So I gave the tire tire/scuff marks a shot with some vertex painting... I'm not sure how I feel about them at the moment. I'll play around with them over the remaining few weeks of the course. Like you said, they could add unwanted noise to the scene so I kept them a bit subtle for now. Also added some general grime. And I do plan on adding some signs and small details to help complete the scene as well. :)

*Edit: Someone just suggested I try the tire marks with decals so I may test that method out too.

• Daniel91
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel91 triangle
    That doesn't look as noisy as i thought it would, you could probably make it really subtle if you want, at the end of the day, its probably something people wouldn't notice, if you removed it and just had a bit of general dirt
  • fu_films
    Offline / Send Message
    fu_films triangle
    this is looking great! nice work, will be following this
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    @fu_films Thanks :)

I'm starting to try out some lighting now, which is not a strength of mine. Here's what I have at the moment:

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Just experimenting a bit with the lighting. I do like the darker version with more noticeable light shafts:

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Another lighting update:

• Port-Seven
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    I added a bunch of details today to make progress on this scene and added some colour on the walls. The outside world looks like it's on fire through the windows right now  :p

• defragger
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    I like the details and overall scene. Not the usual stuff :)

Not sure which direction you are going, but maybe this helps with lighting:

The floor could be more shiny like on this pic.
    Also I think your scene needs some sort of focal point.

Keep it up!

Edit: one more thing. Your screenshots are really tiny at 1024 px ... go at least 1920*1080
    Use .Jpg instead to reduce file size to a reasonable level!
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    @defragger  Thanks for the tips! I wasn't sure what direction I was going in with the lighting either :sweat_smile: I spent most of the day trying different things and reworking the scene. I found some interesting sunset colours eventually:

And then I started pushing some contrasting colours a little more, which was interesting, but I think I'll bring it back to the sunset feeling and less cool/purple. This is where I'm leaving it for tonight:

• Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on some lighting finally. I'm trying to wrap this up in the next couple of weeks. The course has finished and I've picked up a ton of knowledge about building modular environments so I'm looking forward to getting another one started. I think the scene is still a bit dark and maybe a little too saturated.

• CybranM
    Offline / Send Message
    CybranM interpolator
    Looking great :smiley:
    Lighting is so hard to get right, its something I struggle with all the time, but I think what youve got going now is close to being perfect.
    Like you mentioned its a bit too dark, it depends on if this is after-hours and theyre trying to save a buck on lighting and so on but increasing it a bit would probably be best.

• zombojoe
    Offline / Send Message
    zombojoe polycounter lvl 6
    Very solid looking environment, is this going to be put on a marketplace when its ready? I'd love to put it to use.
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    @CybranM I’m glad you think the lighting is looking decent! I think staring at this scene for so long has impaired my judgement a bit.

@zombojoe Thanks for the compliment! As it is I think there are too many things in need of improvement for this scene to be on the market right now. It was a learning experience after! But that’s a thought I’d never considered. Perhaps a future environment after I’ve practiced a bit :p

A couple people have also suggested fly-throughs to also show off the environment, which I may do. 
  • Port-Seven
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been a long time but I finally wrapped up this scene! I took an additional 1-2 weeks after the course finished to tidy some things up, take screenshots and do a fly through all while moving into a new place. It's been hectic but I'm glad I hammered out the last few pieces of this project!

A few screenshots:

Here is the ArtStation link for more renders and the fly through :)
    https://port-seven.artstation.com/projects/EVJ4Y2