Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Veronika Mossum

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Mossum polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys! 
Welcome to my sketchbook, I will try to post regularly. I am a junior 3D artist, aspiring to become an environment 3D artist. I will post most of the things I do though, so could be some non-3D stuff too. 

I would love to get feedback and tips, be totally honest with me, I can take it. :)
But if you just want to look you are very welcome too!

Cheers!

Replies

• Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    Currently I am working on a mobile AR project, in which I do a lot of low poly stuff in a handpainted, stylized style. This chest is supposed to be found underwater and have some magical abilities. 

The whole texture is handpainted, the star too. The metal parts were a challenge to paint but I loved to do the wood :) 

• Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    Yesterday I worked on a texture for our game. We already use the sand texture as a base in the game and with adding a transparent texture with some pebbles, we have created some variations in the ground. This will be randomized placed nearby bigger stone assets.

I have created it by rendering a picture in blender and then making the background transparent. In the picture below I added the sand for easier visibility. :) 

• Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    Working on some villain characters for the upcoming game from MyEsteeme. This is one of them, mainly the shape in focus now, the texture is only plain color atm. 

Any thoughts and feedback? :) 

• Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    WIP 
    I am currently experimenting and trying to learn boxcutter in blender. Learning by doing is often the best, so I am doing some sort of house :) 

• Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    During 2018 I have worked with a character called Emma and I wanted to show you some of the animations I made for her. I have worked with idle animations to make her feel real and that she is interacting with her surroundings. The concept was to create a 3D character of an already existing plush doll. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNf0HfL7oLo

The doll looks like this: 

And I thought it was a challenge to create this doll in 3D, with animations and interactivity without making some changes. But I am happy with the result! Please tell me what you think :) 
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    It is time for a new year and new experiences! I will start working full time on my portfolio for a while, and looking for jobs in the meantime ofcourse. Looking forward to putting in the time and effort necessary to become better, I do really feel that this is something I want to become great at, because I love doing 3D and would love to have it as my career.

Now, first out I have been looking into normal mapping. Since I have done some handpainted textures in my last project I realized that I need to learn how to paint my own normal maps too. I started this today by downloading a texture from textures.com and then doing a height map in photoshop, which I then turned into a normal map. I think it worked pretty well! Ofcourse the texture has lighting in it, so it becomes weird if the lighting is wrong, but I think I got a hang of the process at least. What do you guys think? Is there anything I have missed?

the texture:

Normal map:
    Result with similar lighting as the texture:
    Result with different lighting:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Well it's kind of hard to tell with the lighting in the color texture. But the ziggurat kind of height seems to be OK.

There's some blocky shading going on in your renders that looks like errors. Could be the sphere is flat-shaded, so there's no smoothing between polygons.

The normal map is a bit mushy overall. The highest extrusion on each brick has a very hard edge in the photo. But the normal map looks rounded there.

The normal map should have some of the higher-frequency detail from the rough brick surface texture.

Looks like you need to experiment more with mixing multiple levels of detail into the map.
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    Ah, yes, i forgot to fix the flat shading, you are right of course! :) Thank you for your feedback, I will do another try!
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    I have made Another try on normal mapping. This time I painted the texture from scratch, thinking that it would make it easier. I Think that the result is somewhat better this time, but still not _good_ in my opinion. I have smoothed the sphere. 

This first render is the best according to me. 

But in this one there is some weird effects going on in the top. Details that should be inwards in the texture seems to be going outwards? I post the texture and normal map to, maybe someone can see what I am doing wrong. :P 
    This was a fun task anyway, I like doing handpainted textures! Cheers everybody!

• Eric Chadwick
    What tool are you using to generate the normal map? Most of them have options to invert the red and/or green channels, which will usually fix the in/out problem.
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    @Eric Chadwick I use photoshop. Maybe I am doing it wrong? I am not sure if just inverting it would help, since it does look right in some angles, right? I will try and tweak it today though..
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    Today I have worked a bit with siluette drawings, an exercise to improve my sense of shape and form, and creating interesting siluettes. I got inspired by this website.
    I started with this picture of a house concept by Szabat, (see artstation here:https://www.artstation.com/artwork/48A4L)

I then chose an angle to use as the base siluette, copied 9 times and then edited them to create a variation of interesting siluettes. This is the result. Personally I think I improved somewhat during the exercise, and it was quite fun! :)

• Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    As a way to familiarize myself with sculpting in 3D I have created a small elephant. I don't have any plans for it more than as a way to practise. This is the sculpt, today I will try and retopologize it :) 
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    A couple of days ago I got a inspirational boost and decided to paint with some acrylic. So, here are some traditional 2D painting for y'all. :)
    Btw, I have photographed it with my iphone, is that obvious? I mean quality-wise, Is that a big no no? I have a proper camera, perhaps I should use that instead?
    Details:
    I am actually very happy with how this turned out, even though it is traditional art and not digital or 3D. I guess we all have to do some things just for fun too ^-^
  • Eric Chadwick
    I like it! Most of my personal work is traditional, nice to have the variation I think. I take photos of them with my cellphone too, it's ok as long as it's not too blurry.
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    @Eric Chadwick Thank you for your reply! I am happy you like it. Nice, I will continue using my phone then, it's easier that way. 
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2

I have started a bit on the retopology of the elephant sculpt. I am not entirely sure how I am supposed to do this, haha, but oh well, I can Always retopologize the retopology if necessary lol. 
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    Used my house silhouettes to experiment a bit with depth and created a kind of cityscape. I am happy with the experiment, it was fun and I feel that I learned a lot. Although I can see some things that could be improved, for example there is some empty/boring spaces in the picture and I think that it would be improved by some details in the sky. I will probably do some changes in it before I consider it finished. If you have any thoughts, I would be happy to hear them!
    Cheers! :smiley:
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    Long time no see, :)  I haven't updated here in a while. I started study game animation at The Game Assembly this fall and have done soo much already! Looking forward to share some of the things with you and would really love to get some feedback! 

In the beginning we are working with a lot of basic animation principles, and art fundamentals. Here I worked on colorkeying. Tried to create three versions of the same image; day, night and sunset.
  • Mossum
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossum polycounter lvl 2
    I have done quite some animations now during our 2D animation course and body mechanics that we have at the moment. I will try to upload some of them here, i would love to get feedback as usual!

This is a link to a 2D character that i created myself, rigged and then animated. I hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZR7nHEhljM