Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elf Character (WIP)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
TaulNotShort polycounter lvl 5
Haven't been here on a while! Started a new character about a month ago after playing some Witcher DLC and got super motivated to make a character that could fit into that world!
My plan is to create two different costumes for her: One is underwear type ( what you can find on some of the characters in the game) and one I made up myself based off of concept art and in game costumes from both Witcher 2 & 3.

For the first costume I'm pretty much done with the shapes and basic modeling! Still need to go back and work out some small lumps in her body and work on the stomach because something about it is bothering me still.
Her other costume! I'm pretty proud of this so far: I usually get super stuck making my own clothes for characters, but this one actually came pretty well. Had to do a couple passes before settling on this design. Her short gamebeson is based off of Ves's design from Witcher 2. Still need to add the buckles on the vest and a few small satches to go around her belt.
Some small details I started adding to the corset.
Her head! Easily the more daunting parts of the project. I'm feeling ok about this, but I might mess with the nose a little more because it still feels kind of basic to me.
All in all I'm feeling pretty good about this and haven't felt burnt out just yet like on my other projects!
I'll try to update at least once a week with edits, changes, and what not. 
Critique is super welcome and appreciated!! :)

Replies

• TaulNotShort
    Offline / Send Message
    Helluu! I haven't really had the time to work on her, but I'm slowly chipping away...
    Got some critique from a couple people offline and edited her face more towards their advice/recommendations! Made her nose bigger, and filled out the area around her nose and eyes, since they were looking pretty shallow. Pulled her ears a little further out as well. I never know how pointed I want to go because some games have the ears super long and others only a lil' point at the tip.
    Really happy with her face!
    Messed around with some color options in zbrush! I also refined her clothing more and started to add minor details like stitching and wrinkles! I found an IMM brush for the stitches, which I love using, but it definitely racks up the poly count in zbrush, and just makes more and more tools! I think I might switch to an alpha pattern to make stitches..my worry though is that when I bake is there going to be a noticeable difference? Or will ppl not really even look that close.

I really wanted to give her a weapon, but I felt that a quiver on her back was too typical, so I went with a hip quiver! Iorveth has one in The Witcher 2, and he looks pretty bad-ass, so I went and gave her one! Still in the works, so it's pretty chunky.
    details details... ( a real pain to sculpt those wrinkles...)

refined the boots and pants more!
    Comments and critique are super appreciated!!

• BestiART
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    Hey! Great character, there are improvements in the last post... the face is better but in my opinion there is still something that doesn't work, can you post the references you are using?
  • TaulNotShort
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much @BestiART! I've just been pulling from anatomy books! IE the measurement between the eyes and where the ears line up with the facial features! Are you looking at something specific that's bothering you?
  • BestiART
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART polycounter lvl 5
    i think the part between the nose and lips is bothering me. I would try to find reference about a face female i like and try to match her, i'm not saying to go for a likeness but in that way would be easier to give feedback and for you to understand. Maybe you just need to push out the forms :)
  • TaulNotShort
    Offline / Send Message
    BestiART said:
    i think the part between the nose and lips is bothering me. I would try to find reference about a face female i like and try to match her, i'm not saying to go for a likeness but in that way would be easier to give feedback and for you to understand. Maybe you just need to push out the forms :)
    Thank you for the advice! I did make some changes ( pushed out her lips) and thought it looked pretty alright :) )

A lot of time has passed since my last update, mainly from lack of time and having to replace my CPU and motherboard. I got to a point where I'm pretty happy with her proportions and have moved on to retopology! I just finished her body and her second outfit, and threw it into Mixamo just for fun! I'll hopefully be posting wips of her main outfit sometime next week.

I think she's looking really good even with a basic rig, although Mixamo messes up the skinning.  

So far this version is 31K.. I might try and lower that a little before I start UV mapping and moving on to the next one.
    Comments and critique are welcome!