Home Technical Talk

Can't select certain faces or edges in symmetry in Maya Problem

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Worldevour polycounter lvl 6
I have a problem where i had dublicate edges by mistake on the problematic polygons shown below, then i used merge vertices by 0.1 on the whole mesh to fix this, but now these faces don't work on symmetry. Is there a way to fix this?

Btw I don't want to use mirror, because that will distroy my uvs which i don't want them mirrored too.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i'd just mirror it and redo the UV's. They are both the same right? All you got to do is move the island over, right?

• Worldevour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, but i mostly ask for information, because imagine this to happen on much more complex uvs..
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as i am aware, mirroring with the mirror tool or duplicating and transforming -1 x is the only way to bring back symmetry. But even if a few verts are off, if the rest is still aligned it may be fine, depending at where you are in your pipeline.
  • Worldevour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually find a way to fix it, it was actually that these faces were a bit off, but i couldn't see by eye. So i dublicated only the problematic faces and mirrored them over the other side, and then snaped my mesh to that temporarily faces i mirrored. And done!
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice. now i learned something new.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as i am aware, mirroring with the mirror tool or duplicating and transforming -1 x is the only way to bring back symmetry. But even if a few verts are off, if the rest is still aligned it may be fine, depending at where you are in your pipeline.
    Actually there is a Symmetrize feature for verts, but IIRC it was only for topological symmetry + center edge.

I've had cases like this too, where some components just don't get recognized no matter what and also had to delete/mirror.