Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 - Project: Star Bounty

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Clarencezer polycounter lvl 2

Welcome to our Project: Star Bounty

Please feel free to post critique, advice, links as we would love to hear what you have to say.

Team Members who are: PM me if you would like to help

Environment Artist: Clarence Munji

Effects Artist: Kidman Lee

Character Artist: Manouk Manoukian

Generalist Artist: Nabin Phauja

Creature Artist: Patricia Lopes

The team have come together to produce a project that we all have wanted to make for a long time, We will be keeping you updated as the weeks go by and thanks again for taking the time to read this post. 

Most of the initial Progress for this project can be seen by clicking here. The video below here is our first attempt at the Vertical Slice.

https://youtu.be/knAYDLKiU3w

I am primarily working on the Environment assets, I have spent some time before my final semester to jump start myself through some initial asset creations and research under here. Below is my current status of my Environments.

This encompasses most my progress and acts as my current available showreel.

Level04 - The Snow Level

Lightning by Kidman Lee

Level overview

Encountered this strange effect by plugging in a panning node and seriously offsetting the UV coords of a Texture and this came out.

Level02B - The Sand Level

This level used to be a day time setting but I have been doing almost all my scenes in a day time scenario and went with a more dusk like purple colour scheme.

Some simple sand gust to help the environment feel a little more alive.

Top View

Level03D - The Grassy Level, the main level that most of the so called vertical slice was trying to demonstrate, I am trying to push this level as much as I can.

This area used to be a cave portion as seen in the Vert Slice video above, however I decided to wipe it out and turn it into an open vista point area. I am encountering problems here but that is probably me still trying to build it out, I will probably end up pushing stuff in the back ground farther back and deepen areas in the mid ground to exaggerate the scale.

Water / River by Kidman Lee

I understand that I could work more on the assets but I have had to balance what I could pull out as an overall and as far as my Environment Art skills would take me however I would still very much like to push what I currently have for this final year Project!

Replies

• JonJo
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo interpolator
    Beautiful effects and foliage, keep it up!
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Very nice work!

Dynamic lighting or fixed?
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    JonJo said:
    Beautiful effects and foliage, keep it up!
    Ah hey man thank you, I'll be trying to push out a different type of tree and probably more flora types on the returning day of my semester :smile: !

Very nice work!

Dynamic lighting or fixed?
    I have set up all the levels under Dynamic Lighting.
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Small Update

A small update on the open vista area, just moving up some land mass and putting some rock formations to help me visualize better, I scrapped the last setup out as it looked like a mess.

Testing existing assets to see how it all fits and what I will need to create once I return to the labs back in the university! I need to make card trees for the distant trees instead of actual geo or it will eat up my FPS :,) .

Map Overview, still work in progress!

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Just slowly adding stuff.

Testing a bunch of simple distant card trees.

Overview
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    This project gets more and more breath taking every time I see it. 
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - RockCliff06 Mask testing.

Just testing out some mask control, lazily enough I am just multing the roughness map I currently have to help with just a bit of quick variation control.

I plan to replace the cliffside and some other rocks as they look too horrible :,)

This is still the same shader material I am running off from my other rocks, just a few added node categories.

I almost had a heart attack when my Substance painter / designer studnet license expired but for some magical reason as soon as I re-applied for another I instantly got a new set of licenses to input :]!

This project gets more and more breath taking every time I see it. 
    Thank you!
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Replacing a few rocks.

Just placing and duplicating that rock around and removing the old ones where I can to see how it works overall.

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level02B - Sand Level update

Decided to touch on the Sand level for today, I'll be going into the Grass level once again the next day and leave this as it is for now. I was also told to touch up the tech overlay on the skull as it does not feel too natural which will involve me touching on the skull sculpt again and retexuring it in the future.

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Vista point Update

Made rock towers slightly taller then before, added general foliage to places and duplicated rocks. I have made a proxy ship into scene for temporary use which will be hopefully done by Generalist Artist on board who is Nabin Phauja.

Overview A

Overview B - Troopers done by Nabin Phauja. Main Character currently being worked on by Manouk Manoukian.

• Cloudyko
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloudyko polycounter lvl 2
    Trooper - update

The trooper character is finally in the scene. I plan on coming back to this character to make a higher detail model as well as better optimisation. For now, I am working on other assets to clear my mind and come back stronger =)

Please excuse the deformations on the character, we have no rigging artist so we work around it by using mixamo animations.

I also have plans for a female trooper to explore real time skin, adding variety into the scene. Quick render to see how things are shaping up. 

Ship - update

Using Clarence's proxy model and overview, I've made a concept model of the air ship. Most of the detail will be contained on the underside as this will be the main viewpoint from the player.
  • KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message
    KidmanLee polycounter lvl 4
    Real-Time VFX in Game Update:

Butterflies FX

I was having a problem with wings flap. I got help from Andreas Glad, he told me to do the vertex paint with the wings. Then it works at the end.

Falling Fire Trail

Reference:
    from Venom
    from Halo

This is the basic one I made. 

I use Ribbon Data in Particle System to make the fire trail.

And then I change the texture and the material.

This is the newest update of the Fire Trail. Except chaning the texture and material, I also add flare by referencing Venom and Halo to showing the strong light fire. 

Environment by Clarence Munji
    Character by Manouk Manoukian 
  • athelwulf
    This is really interesting looking, dude! Also a good job on making it look less standard unreal-ish.
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    athelwulf said:
    This is really interesting looking, dude! Also a good job on making it look less standard unreal-ish.
    Thank you, were all trying our best to polish and push as much as out as we can as the weeks go by towards the deadline!
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Rock Tower update again.

Placed a different foliage around the rock towers instead, still working down the iteration, this is the result so far. Also placed an additional subtle foliage bush around the scene just to add in more to the overall, used it on the big tree bridges as well.

Rough visualization, just using the proxy ship I have now before I get the real ship from CloudyKo - Nabin Phauja.

An overview.

Will need to improve and create an additional texture to place and instance on the cards to have more variation, for now this will hold up.

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Real-Time VFX in Game Update

I want to make some energy streaming out from the planet, this effect base on the mesh you see below.  

And then adding the material to the mesh using panner to create the motion.

Adding some particles effect to strengthen the effect.

This is how it looks like after putting the particles effect and the mesh together.

Because it is not interesting while the mesh is stuck right there, so I decided to use the particle system.

This effect is not finished yet and I will keep updating my progress.

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level02B_OS - Night time shot rough visualization

Rough mockup for now, just to set the mood towards my group members mostly.

We plan to have flares emitting from the ship. The trail acting as a missle is a placeholder for now.

Our Generalist Artist onboard has expressed that he wanted to work on the environment for this so I'll be leaving this mostly in his hands and add in time to time when I can, maybe.

• littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Wow, the music goes so well. I love the atmosphere! so does the craft have any flares, will they live to fight another day. ? 

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, the music goes so well. I love the atmosphere! so does the craft have any flares, will they live to fight another day. ?
    Thank you, I did this up to show the team what I had in mind as fast as I could.

Yes we do plan to have flares emitting from the ship which will be worked on by our Effects Artist.

I have given responsibility of this opening scene to our Generalist Artist mostly as he wanted to work on it. I'll be leaving the decision up to him if he would like the ship to survive the inbound missle!
  • KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Real-Time VFX in Game Update

New update of the fireball effect. I change the texture and adjust a bit of the material.

I did a new thruster for the ship. Most of the time use to change and adjust texture and material to get the best result.

Final Result (below)
    I got two layers of the trail, one for the thruster, another one for the flame. 

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level04 - Snow Level Update

Went back to the snow level to swap out my attemp on some crystal rock gems. I ended up restarting the material 4 times yesterday and ended up with this as the result.

Lightning effect by Effects Artist - Kidman Lee.

Material Set ups via parameters.

There is definitely a better way to build these formations but I decided to make them individual and vastly lowered the tri count on them to compensate.

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Small Update

Just some small shifting off stuff and as well as space clearing to the right, originally very cluttered and did not feel natural when player was walking towards it. Also very small thing to see but I've made distant grass card planes to give the ground further in the distance more life.

Here is the distant grass planes, about 3-4 times smaller tri count then my current near by grass so fps hit was negligible.

This was simply the grass card setup that I used in the distance. There is a way more efficient way to do this but I'll leave it as it is for now.

Testing white flower.

Testing green bush.

Need to work on mesh card more but for now it will hold up.

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Missile Mesh Update

I am working on a missile effect, so I am making a mesh of missile. Take me some time to do research and model. But still, haven't finished yet. I only got a basic rough texture, so I am going to finish that by tomorrow.

[Picture from Leroy Jones]

[Picture from Marcus Trolldenier]

[Picture from Evan Whitefield]

My Work  
    Feels like I need more detail. I will do it tomorrow, hope I can finish the missile in one day then I can start working on my effect.

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Missile Update

This is the final texture. I will start the effect tomorrow.

In Unreal Engine 

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D & Level02B_OS: Small Update and foliage learning

Swapping out my proxy ship for our Generalist Artist: Nabin Phauja proxy ship to see how it works.

Slight tweak on red trees on the rock towers mostly unnoticeable as I've just wanted to sort of kill it's roughness to eliminate the strange sheen that appears when walking towards it.

Fly by testing on new ship.

Test on Level02B_OS with the new ship.

Not much actual assets into UE4 today, this is my first go on sculpting out leaves and some branches. I need to make these into actual cluster formations instead of this singular bakes. Below were my zbrush results for today and some quick polypaint base colour to later bring into Substance Designer for some more tweaking.

Spent a little too long today messing around in substance designer leaving me with an unfinished foliage asset for today.

Adjusting some uv's for the cards, this takes time for me on my end as this is my first time setup pushing out polypaint from Zbrush to Substance Designer to Maya as opposed to my previous setup of just photoshop.

I need to experiment some more and probably model out a cluster of branches instead of this singular branch I have now which is quite horrible looking, I am trying to get my headspace back into foliage mode and hopefully pull these out quicker.
  • Cloudyko
    Offline / Send Message
    Aircraft - Update

Rough texture to see how the ship's shape holds up in-engine 

Feedback notes :

-Adjust the engine so that the combustion lights are more visible.

-Adjust texture roughness to add matte stealth feel body.

-Wing tips too square, reshape and adjust angle of tips, breaks the silhouette.

-Allow more empty space between the wings for better silhouette.

-Body to wing ratio too small, make body wider.

If you see any other issues, please make a comment =)

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Following my last foliage experimentation update.

Below here were my results after constructing them in Maya and importing them to UE4. I tried to construct something akin to bushes and shrubbery though I'd like to go back to the textures and rework them down the road.

For now I have used this set to populate my scene here and there, below were my results.

Need to go back into substance designer and maybe chip away at the texture to give it more refined edges though I do like the curves that happens at some spots.

Placing it amongst my other foliages.

Trying to mix around red versions to help break up the colour as recommended by Generalist Artist: Nabin Phauja

I'll be trying to create more foliage in the next few days to see what works and what does not, in order for me to know what I can put into the Level03D!

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message

Effect Update:

Spending the whole day to making this smoke by using Fume FX. Have been testing and rendering which takes so many times. I will do a flipbook tomorrow then jump into Unreal!

TB6LpIsgif

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Continuing to learn foliage process

Trying to get used to the Zbrush to Substance Designer (with a little photoshop) to Maya to UE4 workflow.

Grabbing Polypaint and Normals from Zbrush.

Did a quick tweak onlyin Substances designer, I will have to return to it once again as the texture isn't fully captured the way I wanted to as displayed on Zbrush.

Texture isn't appearing too great but I'll be placing this around the scene to see how I can change it.

Placing them in scene to see how they work out, I wanted something other then green but not too blue to help break up the color.

Definitely need to go back to rework the texture on these cyan-ish leaves and also rework the cards.

Quick walk inside!

So I currently need some sort of branch bushes, bush branch....branch thing, still within practice of trying to work with Zbrush to create foliage, same thing as before I'll be projecting this onto a plane to grab it's texture and normals out and into substances designer.

This is still being worked on but I do have a feeling that I might end up using a real life branch with leaves instead if this does not turn out well.

• Cloudyko
    Offline / Send Message
    Asset update - crates and boxes with dirt variant

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message

Effect Update:

I tried the flipbook that I made in Fume FX but it doesn't work well so I change to use other texture to do the smoke.

Then about the Fire Flame, I was quite confused about making a new one.

This is the one I was making for the missile. But I give up on it because it is not a good combination with the smoke.

Turns out I use the same one that I did for the ship thruster which combines better than the new one.

Final (Smoke+Fire Flame)

Fast Version

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Cluttering now and cutting after.

Following from my last branch thing, it did not work out too well zbrush wise and just ended up coverting the polypaint to just relying on it's alpha pull out, quite some time lost on it, the leaves as well did not turn out too well previously.

Below here I have opted for real leaves and gave the branches a quick pass through substances designer by manipulating it's alpha once again.

Below are my results for today.

Hard to show what I've done so I've taken another angle.

The branches in work.

Back shot.

Looking up from the ground the player can see this, I am cluttering up this portion to get an idea what I don't need and what I can cut down.

I have not reworked the texture for today on the big blue leaf plant sadly :s, Butterflies by Effects Artist: Kidman Lee

How it leads down from the top.

Into the section of this place.

I plan to make a giant'ish flower plant to plop down on certain section, most notably the back area, I'll have to combine both a mesh and card to pull it off probably.

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message
    Effect Update:

Continue with the Streaming Pillar today 

It is done for now, might be improve a bit more later.

• Cloudyko
    Offline / Send Message
    Aircraft - Taking more inspiration from Star Citizen ships and their details, still playing with the forms before I commit to a more detailed model.

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Giant flower!

Created some sort of almost hard looking giant flower to draw the eye towards to for a few seconds. Was suppose to post these yesterday but the Friday mood did hit me~

Below are my results!

Wondering if I should make it brighter.

Just me trying to get used to sequencer. Think I'll develop some subtle particles that are just hazing around those protruding glowing parts I made.

The area I masked off allows me to just affect the glowing portion of the mesh.

Plan to build another type of flower next week for the far off vista point where the ship flys by to emanate off the new column of light particle effects from Effects Artist: Kidman Lee

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Down with a slight cold....and a floaty thing?

Not too much of an update. I have added in our Effects Artist: Kidman Lee light column and slightly edited it for what I had in mind in the middle of the scene. I have also added the new boxes and shifted a few of his troopers done by our Generalist Artist: Nabin Phauja, once again just made one asset today as being slightly ill has dulled my flow. Below are my results.

Level03D as it is today.

I think I'll be spending some time on the floating rock elements in the scene instead of making some more new foliage for this week and slowly record out clips I require for next week's Alpha submissoin. That and hopefully some recovery.
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Small Update to floaty things.

I replaced the proxy meshes used for the relic in the middle of the scene with a new sculpted set, I am testing the shape to see what works and what I can place around.

As always the light column effect and river by Effects Artist: Kidman Lee , troopers, ship and boxes by Generalist Artist: Nabin Phauja
     and now the newly textured specialist character by Character Artist: Manouk Manoukian
  • MRM
    Offline / Send Message
    MRM triangle
    [Project Star Bounty] Character Artist  - Manouk Manoukian

Hi all,  I have been working on the playable character for Project Star Bounty from the concepting phase all the way up to creating a game ready playable asset. You can find a lot of the concept art I did for this project over at my Artstation (Manouk Manoukian). Below is my current progress of the character. 

This is the current state of the character in UE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zbkzht07UU&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1lolIwuHTgkIOycjmKgdfSFjzG2ewq8ja2NoAkHM8tJmiWLwNbEnG__4o

Credit to the Environment Artist: Clarence Munji, Effects Artist: Kidman Lee , and Generalist Artist: Nabin Phauja

This is the current state of the character within Marmoset Toolbag. The character is currently at 30k Tris. This number will increase however once I end up adding the hair strands (coming out of the hood), the eyeballs and exterior armour for the character. Below is her so called base suit of which armour will be added on top. There are also a few baking issues with this current mesh so I may have to separate some objects and bake them individually. In particular the metal plates that encompass the hood may have to be extracted and baked separately.

Wireframe (30k Tris)

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Relic Update.

Inspired by the taken orbs from Destiny 2, I've utilized the light column effect from our Effects Artist: Kidman Lee and for now placed a sphere shaped ball with a warped like energy shader in the middle to act as some sort of power emnating from it causing the near by rocks to float or such.

I have also decided to touch up on floating rock placements a little, will change further down the road again and again to see what works.

It is quite hard to show this in action unless I take a really long video so here are some gifs displaying the slowly rotating floating elements and the sphere.

Zooming into the elements, slowly rotating. Would probably cool if I got some World Position Offset on the sphere itself!

Map overview.

Going to be taking it easy and may have small or no updates till Alpha submission as I will be preparing things to record down, edit and finally drop here as an Alpha Submission update!
  • Sigmatron
    Offline / Send Message
    Sigmatron interpolator
    Looking great. You are already made huge amount of work. Keep it going! :smiley:
  • KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message

Effect Update:

This is my work from yesterday, trying to do a new thruster effect for the new ship. 

• Cloudyko
    Offline / Send Message

Aircraft and environment update

Sorry haven't been posting for a while, not as much progress as I would like for the aircraft but here is the latest refined shape. Made the tail connection thicker, rear tail fin adjustable, engines are now integrated to the wings.

The disadvantages of this are 

- Less storage in the wings requiring more wing length

- Wings are more likely to be damaged if the engines are damaged 

- Harder servicing 

However we have a second wing for all that =))

Advantages are

- Streamlined flow, less drag

- Thrust is more centered

QNX53NFjpg

I've been spending most of my time learning world machine and hope to incorporate it properly into our project but in the mean time I have to put this on hold for an essay. =(

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHA STATE - Project: Star Bounty

Today was the day we had to display our results for Alpha!

We were given some initial highs and lows responses which ended surprisinly in a unsure of whether we were going in the right direction. I'll be consolidating with the team tomorrow of what we can do and I'll be trying gather more feedback as to what improve and change.

Overall I am happy with what the team has managed to push out since Vertical Slice but as this being Alpha, we are of course going to continue to push on ahead for Beta and Gold!
  • Jack M.
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Amazing progress on this! Keep up the great work.
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. said:
    Amazing progress on this! Keep up the great work.
    Thank you!
  • Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - Returning recovery

An update at last though not too much of a big one, I've had to take almost a week and a day to recover from Alpha period but I am thankfully still alive and am ready to keep going. Below is my progress for Level03D.

I've decided to scrap out the blue colour fractal plant since I've left that on hold for as long as I can remember, I've placed some trees and turned that area into something of a small poind, also changed some background mountains.

Closer look towards the Pond area. The animals are being handled by a new team member on-board - Patricia Lopes.

I plan to have something in the water, currently only surrounded by rocks (as usual) I might look into decals and also employ my current leaf falling particle over just to add into the overall.

Troopers by Generalist Artist: Nabin Phauja I Animal proxy model by Creature Artist: Patricia Lopes

The team and I have also decided to cut out the Level02B_OS Opening Scene with the shipcrash as we were told to cut it down, leaving us with the decision to have the flare in the below gif be the drop pod for the specialist. Further alterations to the flare will be made from Effects Artist: Kidman Lee

Our Generalist Artist on-board, Nabin Phauja also had the idea of having a shot of sort of the troops dusting off from the Dropship behind them and then taking off, I plan to grab animations from him once again to fix into sequencer to almost sort of imply that they have jumped off and are walking slowly towards the shot.

For now the below results are a WIP.

A quick shot reveal test pulling out from the last shot for the animals, I'll tweak their placement further down the line.

Level03D Overview.

• PandaLog
    Offline / Send Message
    PandaLog polycounter lvl 3

Hey everyone!

New addition here, I'll be working on some creatures for the project.

The first one is a bison-based beast that needs to look non-threatening, so I made mood board compilations of mainly herbivores:

jwyakxFjpg

Iy7ajwCjpg

PqOWGyVjpg

Then I sculpted a few parts to figure out the general shape:

MZkZybXjpg

Played a bit with blendshapes:

kEDb9UBjpg

And started to flesh out muscle structure, I mixed a bit of buffalo with rhino so the skin folds would make more sense:

rsrnEtRjpg

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message

Effect Update:

I am doing FX for another group at the same time, so I just get back to work on new FX for our group. 

Here is the smoke puff effect when the drop pod hits the ground. I didn't make it too detail since we will only see it from far away.

• KidmanLee
    Offline / Send Message

Effect Update:

Fog Sheet

I made a new fog to replace the original one and there is more control in Blueprint.

• Clarencezer
    Offline / Send Message
    Level03D - The pond thing?

Progress on the pond area from yesterday, currently using basic planes for the glowing tendrils below, might revisit in the future with a more unique mesh if I need to.

Just some simple planes with the Tendril texture tweaked and slapped ontop,  I should be leaving this as it is, since we don't really get to close to it but it works from afar.

Selection

There are 3 plane layers for the Water shader, 1 from myself which is the top most layer holding refraction and normals to mimic simple water flowing. The particles emitting and next 2 layers were tweaks to an existing water shader glow from our effects artist: Kidman Lee.

How it holds up.

Parameters allowing me to tweak accordingly to my liking.