Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Underwater Temple Environment/ Keyframe

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
panicpancho polycounter lvl 5
Hey everyone!  :)

For the past few days, I have been working on an environment for my portfolio, it is inspired by the work of 
Nastya Ermakova (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Lykzw) and G-host Lee (https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mqlAd) and also I wanted to give my Octophant a home :) https://polycount.com/discussion/207747/sea-guardian-wip#latest

That being said I have been working on an environment inspired by the ruins of the talented artists I mentioned before, but every time I get into work I'm having some trouble on deciding the composition of the scene. In the beginning, I thought of making the Octophant a big statue at a focal point, but now I'm not sure If I should just make it a creature and play around with that. This is my WIP so far and I would love to have your feedback and your opinions on the matter. (I'm actually thinking now of making just 2 different shots, keep the one underwater and replace the Octophant of the "ruins" scene with something else)

Replies

• panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    New Update on the environment: I have been working on Unreal now trying to set up the composition for the scene: I still need to play with some lightning and there are objects on the foreground like the left rock that I need to fix. Also, I need to add some vfx and probably some loose tiles. But this is the result so far :) Any Critiques and feedback are welcome :D
  • panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked on another composition for the environment shots, corrected some of the reflections and the foliage of the level

• tythomas063
    Offline / Send Message
    tythomas063 greentooth
    Awesome work. I really like the new composition. I just have a few critiques about your lighting and rock's texture. This is just minor feedback.

(RED) The light source is great although the shadow looks pretty dark. The shadow is almost black which is not natural. The light tends to bounce around the environment. I will suggest you to either increase the strength of " Indirect" under your light source(directional) or brightness of skylight. Just a LITTLE BIT. 

(PURPLE) Your rocks' shape looks great overall. The only issue I see is the texture. I think it is pretty noisy. What I mean by that is there is too much visual information to look at. You want to relax your viewer's eye and guide them to the focal point which is your octopus statue. I think it will be helpful if you reduce the amount of the "white dots" on the texture. 

I attached the screenshot below to show the comparison between your scene and Nastya's scene. I find it's helpful to compare the artworks by desaturation with no color.

Take this feedback as a grain of salt since I'm not a professional artist lol 

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work! 

• panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much, Tyler for taking your time on making this awesome feedback! I will work on the scene today, especially on the light, you are absolutely right! I had a lot of feedback about that and I will try to mess with the settings a little bit to see how can I brighten up the dark areas without washing out the scene. I'm thinking of adding other rim lights too so that the shadows don't go too dark.

I think I will decrease a little bit the noise on the textures but I'm trying to get that realistic look, I will experiment a little bit and see what comes out of it :) thank you so much!
  • panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    At last!! This is the final piece so far!! I played around with some of the lightmap and lighting settings, added some foliage and some metal on the door area, worked on the ground textures and worked with some postprocessing inside unreal for some color grading. I will post some breakdowns with a small video in the next few days :). I feel really proud of this one :) 
  • panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed some reflection artifacts on the right side

• panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    Some breakdown shots:
    WireframeAO
    BaseColor

• panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the link on Artstation and a small video :) time to move forward to the next one!

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/JlE3Jv

• panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    I revisited this project today to give it some changes on the lighting setup and this is the result I got! (I realized I didn't play around too much with cascades and the lightmass settings the last time, so I wanted to give it a shot with my new knowledge to see how it would look, and I got to say I feel really happy with the result)
  • panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I will leave this project alone for now! This is the final image! I have updated my Artstation project :)
  • HixaLupa
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa triangle
    It looks really awesome! It'd be a really awe-inspiring place to discover in a game well done!
  • hublus
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus polycounter lvl 4
    That's outstanding work mate, really inspiring!
  • panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    HixaLupa said:
    It looks really awesome! It'd be a really awe-inspiring place to discover in a game well done!
    Thank you so much!!! 
  • panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    hublus said:
    That's outstanding work mate, really inspiring!
    Thank you I'm glad that you like it :) 
  • panicpancho
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, Im revisiting this scene :) And I would like to know what you guys think so far, I still need to work on the lighting a bit but before that, I want to go through it one last time before calling it done and NEVER VISIT IT AGAIN at least for a while hehe. Anyways here is the update, Im not using any Megascans assets, everything is authored by me 
  • teodar23
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Nice!
    The main issue for me is the water reflection. If you cant use raytracing or even a planar reflection due to performance issues then i suggest you keep the amount of water to a minimum. Or find a way to hide the fact that it doesnt quite reflect the environment, like in the right side of the image.
    The grass is a bit too uniform in color so maybe add some variation there.
    Fog is a bit too much and it kinda washes out some details but thats kind of personal preference i guess.