Home Career & Education

What do i need to know/learn in order to become an environment artist? need structure

lockey1995
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lockey1995 polycounter lvl 5
Hey, 

So I've put a couple of posts on this website over the last couple of days but you've helped me out so far and thank you for that you're all great people :). Anyway I was sort of deciding which direction to go and I'm really starting to enjoy the Environment side of things but i really need some structure on what i need to learn rather than just floating around as I'm doing so at the moment. 

I've started learning Substance painter now and I'm really enjoying it so far but i think this year i set a goal to start learning substance designer and photoshop to a higher level but i would like to hear some of your opinions on what I should be focusing on and which direction to go to get up to scratch. One thing I still haven't really looked into yet is high to low poly baking I'm guessing this is an essential for a 3d artist to know. 

Cheers, 
Jack :) 

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Skills to acquire for environment art;

- Sub-D modeling
    - Sculpting
    - Retopologizing
    - UV Mapping
    - Baking
    - Material creation
    - Texturing
    - Set design in a game engine
    - Lighting
    - Post processing

You won't be able to learn all these in one go. Material creation, set design, lighting, and post processing can wait a bit until you're better.

Make sure to study proper topology. For sub-d modeling, if you have incorrect topology, you'll get stupid artifacts when you sub-divide. I'd suggest making simple props from basic modeling stage to the texturing stage. Once those props start to look less amateur, start looking at creating entire scenes. As a beginner, go off concept art, not what's in your head. Don't try to get faster, try to get better. One solid good looking piece is better than 10 below average pieces. Post all your work on Polycount and the Facebook group Ten Thousand Hours. Check out other people's work on Polycount and Ten Thousand Hours. People will critique your work, and harshly so, you'll need to be OK with this. After being told your work is bad, show it to your family and friends to raise your spirits a bit; they usually give tons of compliments. Pay attention to silhouette.

Spend time on ArtStation checking out professional's portfolios that you like. Aim for that quality. Take part in ArtStation competitions or Polycount environment challenges, and try to get your work in by the deadline. Read through Polycount's wiki, especially regarding portfolios; http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Portfolio

Most importantly: have fun!! You're doing this to create art. Good luck :)

• lockey1995
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you now I have a list to start learning :), any good resources or good you tubers that are worth watching for techniques etc?
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master

@Ashervisalis
    Fantastic summary!

@lockey1995

Mike Hermes and 3DEx are great youtubers to follow. 3dmotive and CGCookie offer quality paid tutorials. Simon Fuchs and Chamferzone (well known artists name eludes me) have great tutorials too
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    I can also recommend Mike Hermes on Youtube. He has a great catalog of beginner tutorials and is very much active with his fanbase.

Another name I will drop is a youtuber who goes by the name "Game Dev Academy" (Previously "Digital Tutor Online"). His personality and sense of humor make the learning process a lot of fun.

Both of these dudes were very instrumental to me learning the basics when I first started out two years ago. I still take the time to watch their videos just because I enjoy watching them talk/teach.
  • lockey1995
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say I'm beginner more intermediate I need to actually start making some stuff and showing it here lol just sort of been floating around and I needed some structure for what i needed to know :)
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Might be useful, had been on the radar lately for a current ongoing personal project:
    https://www.udemy.com/blender-environments/
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I look for the ability to construct a visual narrative when I'm choosing new hires. 
    You can be technically excellent and know all the fancy techniques inside out but you remain completely useless if you can't convince me that what you made belongs somewhere.

Obviously a degree of technical competence is required but most of the things in the big list above can be taught easily - environment art is not technically demanding  compared to character or vehicle work, the craft is in filling your work with history and life. 
  • lockey1995
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe said:
    I look for the ability to construct a visual narrative when I'm choosing new hires. 
    You can be technically excellent and know all the fancy techniques inside out but you remain completely useless if you can't convince me that what you made belongs somewhere.

Obviously a degree of technical competence is required but most of the things in the big list above can be taught easily - environment art is not technically demanding  compared to character or vehicle work, the craft is in filling your work with history and life. 
    To be honest as a big time car enthusiast I would like to try cars and other sorts of vehicles out at some point aswell characters not even looked into and not really the direction i wanted to be heading 
  • lockey1995
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi said:
    Might be useful, had been on the radar lately for a current ongoing personal project:
    https://www.udemy.com/blender-environments/
    I will check out but i work in Maya might be worth it though for 11 quid just for the concept behind it in general