Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci fi gun texture critque

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Simon_____ polycounter lvl 5
hey guys, just started to texture a weapon for a third person game and i could do with some fresh eyes on it, havent textured anything for about a year so i cant really judge on if this is bad or decent, now a lot of it is still a WIP, however im looking for a critque mainly on the metal as thats the part i always seem to struggle at, anyway thanks in advance

Replies

• Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    Great start....i feel the metal looks like metal
    But it does not feel sci fi...do you have a piece of concept art or what direction are you looking to take this?
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis said:
    Great start....i feel the metal looks like metal
    But it does not feel sci fi...do you have a piece of concept art or what direction are you looking to take this?
    its based on three star wars guns combined, now that the base metal looks like metal i will go in and do the colour variations and grunge shown on these ones  
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    ok nice, i feel given that you are on the right track material wise

I would really look at the EE-3 that has the most interesting materials in my opinion really look at the color variation with in the metal i feel that would really breath life into your piece 

If i was making this weapon I would look to add some things to the model, look at all the details that are modeling in on these weapons take some inspiration there and add to your model spruce it up and create an interesting silhouette 
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, yeah i will be adding scopes and other attachments as it is a modable weapon, hopefully those upgraded parts will add more of an intresting look to things
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    You mentioned it's for a third person game. Would the camera ever be this close? It may help to look at it from further away and then maybe some things should be exaggerated a bit just to make it more distinct.

Textures look good to me. Looks like a brand new weapon with oil on it, except a few scratches. Some of those scratches look like they couldn't really happen though. Like inbetween to parts that are sticking out, or a straight scratch from the round cylinder extrusions onto the rear part of the reciever. Just doesn't seem like that could happen and gives away the CG methods used. 

But little things like that may not be readable at all from typical camera distance anyway. 
  • Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mentioned it's for a third person game. Would the camera ever be this close? It may help to look at it from further away and then maybe some things should be exaggerated a bit just to make it more distinct.

Textures look good to me. Looks like a brand new weapon with oil on it, except a few scratches. Some of those scratches look like they couldn't really happen though. Like inbetween to parts that are sticking out, or a straight scratch from the round cylinder extrusions onto the rear part of the reciever. Just doesn't seem like that could happen and gives away the CG methods used. 

But little things like that may not be readable at all from typical camera distance anyway. 
    the camera is a similar distance to the gears of war camera (not sure if that helps?)
    thanks, im going to dirty thing up a bit once the the main metal is done, the scratches are just a generator at the moment as i was in the middle of setting them up

im mostly wanting to get the metal right as i have a few more guns from the same faction that use a similar metal look so it would be nice to get a base material down for it

• Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    done a little more on the metal,
    This is a close as the camera will get to the gun (trooper character is not mine just used it for scale testing) you can also switch camera between left and right shoulder)

and then some other random views with different lighting to see what it looks like

• Simon_____
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've been messing around with the metal texture on a different weapon recently and was wondering if you could critque it?

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks far too much like two Star Wars weapons blened together.