Home Technical Talk

An issue with 3DS Max CAT bones

Unc1e
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Unc1e polycounter lvl 3
Hi guys! I'm using 3DS Max 2018 for creating simple game character animation and I've encountered an issue for wich i can't find any solution so far. Character (cat) has an ear bones made as head bone's childs (screenshot 1). Everything's works fine in setup mode, but if i turn on animation mode ear bones pivots and bones themselves becomes pulled to the head bone's pivot (screenshot 2) and there's no way i can move or rotate them, they're just moving with parent bone. I solved part with pulling to parent bone's pivot by switching on "Additive to setup pose" in Hierarchy>Link info>Animation mode, now they are on assigned places, but i still can control them only by affecting the parent bone so i can't move or rotate them directly. Here's a scene file with character skeleton.  Can you please test it and tell me is it really a technical issue or it is just me doing something wrong? Is there any solution for that?

Replies

• coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    Did you add the ears after you created the animation layer? Could you try creating a new animation layer with the ears and see if it works? I suspect the controllers on the animation layer are not being set if you added rigging after creating a animation layer.

m
  • Unc1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unc1e polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks man, it was really a nice guess, but it didn't work. I tried deleting animation layer and creating a same new one, tried creating adjustment and absolute layers on top of the initial one, but the result is the same :s I was hoping so much it will work cuz your idea really made sense, I remember I've done something to that bones having animation layer already applied... Anyway, thanks a lot for replying.
     coven said:
    Did you add the ears after you created the animation layer? Could you try creating a new animation layer with the ears and see if it works? I suspect the controllers on the animation layer are not being set if you added rigging after creating a animation layer.

m

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    In the meantime until someone answers, set up a new rig (with CAT its just a click) add ear bones. Test the new rig to see if it suffers the same malady. If the new rig works (and it should) then try discover the differences between the simple rig and your working rig.
  • Unc1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unc1e polycounter lvl 3
    kanga said:
    In the meantime until someone answers, set up a new rig (with CAT its just a click) add ear bones. Test the new rig to see if it suffers the same malady. If the new rig works (and it should) then try discover the differences between the simple rig and your working rig.
    Your advice hepled me out dude, i made it) During test process i noticed that animation layer really doesn't applies to that bones and recreating layer doesn't helps either. So i saved animation, deleted either anim. layer and ear bones, recreated both, loaded animation, voila, it works) Thanks, pal!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Great! Thanks for outlining your process. Its going to help others when searching.
    Cheerio