Home Technical Talk

Q: Non-Planar Quads & Maintaining silhouette

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Noth polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys, I'd just like to reinforce some of my thinking real quick. While low poly modelling, I feel likes it's pretty important to keep an eye on non-planar quads in regard to their impact on silhouette. I encourage the juniors under me to manually triangulate any of these extreme non-planar faces that (depending on which direction it's triangulated) could have a significant impact on the read of the silhouette. 

I've had one junior tell me, "it's just a prop, it doesn't matter." However, I feel like it's just good practice and these sorts of 'little things' tend to add up over time, and contribute to over-all quality. 

What do you guys think? Good practice, or doesn't really matter? 

Thanks!

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    I definitely agree with that. You need to do things correctly to build good habits. I'm asking if folks here think that it's correct, and worth putting effort into. What I meant by 'good practice' was something more along the lines of 'best practice' or 'the best way to do something'. Not just practice as in experience gained through doing a thing. Thanks for your response.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    You're right, the junior is wrong. 

It demonstrates a lack of knowledge, if you explain the potential impact on bakes vs export geometry it should be clear to the junior why they are wrong. 

If not, simply have them shot. 
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks, will do.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with you. Sometimes I too think of these things as common knowledge and I got baffled when people in the studio are not aware of them. Totally unprepared to answer sometimes.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    There's a saying: ' if you're going to do something then do it right'.

The junior is lazy. Ever watering down knowledge, the same as any skilled trade, over time. 

This is how skills become lost. Cutting corners. Sloppy craftsmanship. As Tony Soprano said as he gazed at a magnificent old cathedral that his master mason grandfather helped build "go out and find me 2 guys these days who can put decent grout around a bathtub"

• Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    That's a saying that comes to mind often Musashidan. I'll continue to press excellence. Hopefully they don't respond like wet noodles. It's hit and miss. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Another saying, "you can lead a horse to water..." well you know the rest. Sometimes, you can't find a way to motivate a person to do things the right way. 

The best thing, I've found then, is to look for and recognize the people who are doing things the right way -- or at least making an effort to.