Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Bust Challenge

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Lurcisia greentooth
Had the awesome opportunity to participate in Yekaterina Bourykina's hand painted 3D bust challenge hosted by sketchfab!

I'm still deciding whether to retopo or not before I post to sketchfab... 
But I'd always love some feedback!
Sculpted and polypainted in Zbrush. I took some liberties from the concept here and there, but did try to stay true to it.

Illustration by the talented 
Anzka Nguyen: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/w8A0V6

If you'd like to check out the challenge here's the link: 

Replies

• Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Very nice work! You matched it to the concept pretty well. I do think you outlined the top of the breasts too much in the texture. The softer transition from the concept works much better, and I would try to match it more with your texture.
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    Very nice work! You matched it to the concept pretty well. I do think you outlined the top of the breasts too much in the texture. The softer transition from the concept works much better, and I would try to match it more with your texture.
    True! I got a little outline heavy hehe
    thank you for the feedback! 
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth

Edited the chest to where its a bit more accurate to the concept. And decided to start to retopo. Body is done!
    i will be refining the diffuse since some details didnt show on the low poly.

@Wendy de Boer how do you feel about the chest now? i still have to texture it the way it looks in the concept.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    It looks better with the mesh edits already! Is the chest texture mirrored? You'll have an easier time matching the texture to the concept with a unique unwrap.
  • h2olt
    Offline / Send Message
    h2olt polycounter lvl 11
    This is looking good.  A really promising start, and a good interpretation of the concept.

The first thing that jumps out as a needed improvement was the repeated curves in the mouth area, the inner upper lip, the teeth line, and the lower lip all look like they have matching curves and this seems jarring and drew my attention.

But that drew my attention to the bigger problem that's causing a big gap between the emotion of the concept and the sculpt; way too symmetrical.  If you're still working, I understand keeping things symmetrical, but if you're posing this and calling in done, it needs some work to break symmetry.  From the concept, the tilt of the jaw, the head pushed slightly to the side,  the slightly uneven eyes, and the subtle off-center almost-crease of the lower lip help convey more than just surprise but also a bit of confusion. That's missing from the model.

Last, those eyebrows need some handpainted love.

I think the handpainted rendering here is looking great, and this should make a fine piece with a little more final posing.
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    It looks better with the mesh edits already! Is the chest texture mirrored? You'll have an easier time matching the texture to the concept with a unique unwrap.
    Thank you!
    Im not sure what you mean by unique unwrap!!
    But i do plan on going back in when im done with the retopo and somewhat replicating the texture in the illustration.
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    h2olt said:
    This is looking good.  A really promising start, and a good interpretation of the concept.

The first thing that jumps out as a needed improvement was the repeated curves in the mouth area, the inner upper lip, the teeth line, and the lower lip all look like they have matching curves and this seems jarring and drew my attention.

But that drew my attention to the bigger problem that's causing a big gap between the emotion of the concept and the sculpt; way too symmetrical.  If you're still working, I understand keeping things symmetrical, but if you're posing this and calling in done, it needs some work to break symmetry.  From the concept, the tilt of the jaw, the head pushed slightly to the side,  the slightly uneven eyes, and the subtle off-center almost-crease of the lower lip help convey more than just surprise but also a bit of confusion. That's missing from the model.

Last, those eyebrows need some handpainted love.

I think the handpainted rendering here is looking great, and this should make a fine piece with a little more final posing.
    Thank you for the constructive feedback! I appreciate it.
    Right now she's perfectly symmetrical, I plan on posing her better after the retopo. You did however point out some subtleties I wouldn't of caught on to otherwise, so thank you for pointing them out. I will try to pose her as accurately as possible, and plan on posting that for some feedback before officially turning her in / uploading her to sketch fab.

Just gotta get this retopo done!

• dGreenberg
    Offline / Send Message
    dGreenberg polycounter
    She's coming along really nicely, @Lurcisia! I remember seeing that concept from Anzka Nguyen, and it's a perfect choice for the 3D Bust Challenge. I know it's still WIP but I wanted to say that the attention to the hair and the polypainting are look great! You really captured her style from the concept and it'll be really cool to see your final version. It makes me want to work on more hand-painted stuff. Keep up the awesome work!
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    She's coming along really nicely, @Lurcisia! I remember seeing that concept from Anzka Nguyen, and it's a perfect choice for the 3D Bust Challenge. I know it's still WIP but I wanted to say that the attention to the hair and the polypainting are look great! You really captured her style from the concept and it'll be really cool to see your final version. It makes me want to work on more hand-painted stuff. Keep up the awesome work!

Thank you so much!!!! For someone who wants to pursue PBR in the industry, I find myself having way too much fun hand-painting... whoopsie
  • kreativbloc
    Offline / Send Message
    kreativbloc polycounter lvl 3
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    Great job.

Thank you!!
  • andyvargas
    Offline / Send Message
    andyvargas polycounter lvl 5
    absolutely yess! i love your work with her!
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    absolutely yess! i love your work with her!

Thank you andyy!!! <3
  • deuces
    Offline / Send Message
    deuces node
    That bust has an incredible bust
  • Lurcisia
    Offline / Send Message
    Lurcisia greentooth
    Here's the final!!

model