Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Progress Bar

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
artofmars polycounter lvl 9
I want to post more WIP sculpts and process shots and this will be the place for that. Ill try to update it pretty regularly so to start it off a female sculpt I am working :D 

Comments always welcome!

Replies

• artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    added, texture detail, last night/ this morning. On the fence on how I want to handle the eyebrows and suggestions for that? 
    The goal is for it to be a realtime character.

• artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished all the bakes and threw her into Substance to start painting the skin. Here is my progress so far! I like work in steps so only the Albedo has been changed. The Roughness is flat and way to shiny and I am aware. 

heres the flat Albedo

I am using this video from Magdalena Dadela  which breaks down face painting in Substance perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ywhVkZBtq8

Comment or crits always welcome!
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been awhile since Ive posted an update. Ive been busy with an art test but heres an update on this lady.

Still need to edit the texture in substance a little more but im gonna move on to the eyebrows. 

If anyone knows of any good eyebrow tuts please feel free to send them my way.
    Thanks for check this out!
    Comments and Crits always welcome :]

• artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Still chipping away at this, Ive added makeup, eyebrows and eyelashes. Tried a new way to do eyebrows not super happy with the results so I will try again. 

I tried this method fo them https://www.artstation.com/artwork/YPO8K
    I also messed with some of the roughness values on the skin so Id love to get any opinions on it. 

Im gonna start working on the hair next, and im gonna try xgen. So if anyone has worked with it and has any thoughts, Id love to hear them! 
  • Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    the progress bar is steadily moving forward. Keep it up! Those eyes look fantastic. I agree the eyebrows look a bit... catepillar-like. Too scratchy. I think for a AAA hero characters they ought to be done with cards for the best look. THat's what I mostly see anyway. Marmoset website has a handful of character breakdowns that I think will give an idea of what people are usually doing.

Some angles show polygonal edges. Like the ears, but maybe that doesn't matter if you have hair covering it. But the curve of the cheek shows some, and I think that's a key part of the silhouette so maybe an extra loop or two to smooth that out is worth it. Seems like a character with photoreal eyes and pore details shouldn't also be showing polygonal edges on its silhouette.
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @BIGTIMEMASTER yea Im going to try to add some cards to the eyebrow because they feel pretty flat. Maybe a new bake with more resolution allocated to the eyebrow 
    the angles are pretty bad arent they.. Ill see if I can smooth some areas out. I was definitely too stingy with my polycount. 
    Thanks for checking this post out! 
  • SrgFlamez
    Offline / Send Message
    SrgFlamez polycounter lvl 7
    The character head is looking great! Question, Are you going to put a specific hairstyle or run with the buzz-cut?
    The character head profile looks good as is. Just want to know what direction you're taking the character.
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much @SrgFlamez Im gonna be giving her a medium to long haircut, the buzz texture is so it doesnt look weird if you see through parts of the hair 
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Needs opinions on different hair styles. These are just block outs so they are pretty wip. 
    Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful

v1

v2

v3

• Intervain
    Offline / Send Message
    Intervain polycounter lvl 13
    nice progress :) I would say the thing that would up the quality quite a bit would be some shadows in the eyeballs. A reflection on top of the eye always makes the character look creepy. Putting a little plane with a gradient alpha on it will work miracles. Keep it up!
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much @Intervain I was worried making it to intense, but I'll definitely bump that up now! Also thank you for your GDC talk about how you use substance painter. I definitely wouldn't be this far on this project without it :D
  • Carabiner
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Nice texturing on the face and skin! The makeup is looking a little odd though, I've never seen a sort of under eye eyeshadow look like that. Most of the time people don't really do much under eye makeup unless it's subtle liner. 
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Its been awhile since I have updated this but I have been out of town and having computer issues :/

But heres the last screenshots on changes and hair work I have been doing. 

Heres where I started originally with the hair texture and wasnt a huge fan. 

Changed the textures to this which I am much happier with 

-Used xgen to redo the eyebrows instead of using fibermesh. Like this result much better :] 
    -Also added a heavier eye shadow as @Intervain pointed out above.
    -Still working on hair to get it feeling better. 

Thanks for checking this out! Comments always welcome :] 
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    My computer hard drive crashed D: but i was able to recover the data last week. So I haven't had much time to work on this. I have been able to work on grooming the hair cards though. Liking the hair a lot more now 

Any comments on the hair would be helpful! I feel like I have been moving hair cards around forever and its still not felling great :[ 
    Thanks for checking this out! 
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Feeling like this is done (unless someone comes in here and says it looks like butts and gives me some feedback :] 
    Might add more fly aways but I am feeling good about it. Im gonna pause the body of here for a bust ive been chipping away at in between. I'll post that shortly!

Thanks for anyone who stops by! Comments always welcome :]
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering this the final!!! on to the next thing! 

Moving on to the next thing I'll post it soon!
    Heres the link to the artstation post
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L2k3xA
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Transitioning a a lunch sculpt I've been chipping away at. I usually use a concept to work from but I need a bit of a break. A project thast felt more fun and less structured. Heres some screen shots 

Comments always welcome!!!
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted exagerate the forms of the face more and really have fun with this. 
    I'll be working on the armor now to bring it up to the level of the face. I plane on using zmodeler because I dont have much experience with it.

Comments welcome!
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    making progress on this large lad, slow going because im concepting while sculpting. 
    Also spending far to much time messing with lighting set ups in marmoset :D 

Any comments on the sci fi armor design so far would be super helpful!
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    In the process of working on this bust and trying to figure out the armor, this somehow became a full character :D 
    Im gonna be working on another piece I'll post soon while doing a paint over of my renders. Any advice or suggestions on which direction the body/armor should go are more than welcome!!!

• artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on an old lunch sculpt, while it try to figure out the anatomy of the above guy some more.

this is the concept I was working from 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/bz0bE
    love Even Amundson's work 
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Chipping away at this guy, re did some of the facial anatomy and liking it a lot more. 

Mostly added more details near the cheek bones 

Also chipping away at the bark armor little by little. Feels like the more i do the more there is to do :/ ill be working on this tonight and hopefully have an update tomorrow. 

comments always welcome :] 

• artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    still chipping away at this guy, I feel I need to tone down a lot of the bark details so the face stands out more.

Also replaced a lot of the place holder branches
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message

Eye brows definitely help a lot! haha
    Might start texturing the skin soon. I am getting tired of sculpting bark :/ 

Refined some of the secondary forms on the face some more 

• artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished this sculpt. Safe to say I dont want to sculpt bark for a long time. 
    Im looking forward to throwing this guy into substance painter soon.

Link to  the artstation 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3ogmvY

• madmax77
    Offline / Send Message
    madmax77 polycounter lvl 9
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message

Been awhile since I have updated/posted here. Really struggled having a desire to work on personal work after work during Covid. Happy to say that its definitely gotten alot easier and I am finally calling this done.

Had the pleasure of taking the CGMA hair class taught by Naky Solanki and I can't recommend it enough. If anyone has any questions on the process feel free to comment or reach out!

link to the artstation-

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8wa6B6