Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

DEVLOG - Supersolar: a top-down action game

Replies

• huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    @Maxilator I know :( Working on it - a big problem is that due to time and budget constraints in this demo I have mostly focused on filler stuff to showcase mechanics so a lot of stuff is not so thought out. I planned advanced levels that will make more sense, fit together and I will optimize them for visibility, ease of navigation and more. I'll try to find some easy solutions to improve the current level. :)

WIP of the boss:

And promo art test:

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Looks soooo cool!! One really simple thing i would change would be the color when the enemies shoot!! Right now we don't really understand or see them shooting at us because it looks exactly like ours; when both are shooting in the same time you can't even clearly see that it would be better for you to move!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Love the boss design! 
    If you still have time Id try making a more dynamic promo shot, its looking a bit flat right now. 

and remember to not stress out to much man!
  • Popol
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Just wanted to drop by and say this stuff looks awesome, you are on the right track! :smiley:
  • Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    God just "replied" on the first page without seeing the boss, yup he looks great!!
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    @Olingova Thanks! The enemy bolts were red at some point, but with so many changes the color got lost on the way haha. They're fixed in this stage.
    @lotet :D Yeah, pose could be better, I made a new one with a bit more details.
    @Popol Thanks a lot! :)

This week I'll be present at the dev.play conference here in Bucharest and show the demo in the "Indie Expo" section! Very exciting to be a dev with your own project. Even if the game fails to gain funding through the crowdfunder at least it was a blast doing all these things :D

Here is 30 second teaser with the latest stuff:

• huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    Update for October!

After the dev.play conference I decided to work a bit more and expand the demo, as well as implement some feedback and ideas I had. "Demo3" is the final vertical slice I'm doing and I want to make a fully-fledged level as I always planned, with zero compromising.

Here's what the map looks like now (players dock into this huge capital ship and have to reach the bridge, while the ship is overrun by drones):

And in-game screens:

Building kits:

What's new:
    - the map has a tutorial section that goes through all ship systems, it can be skipped and players can jump straight to action
    - a ton of new assets - building kits (walls, ventshaft, scaffolding, pipes), props, new tileable textures
    - different areas - hangars, corridors, narrow ventilation shafts, combat arenas and cargo bays
    - and most important, stuff to do: level objectives - a main goal for this level and in-game texts for objects and exploring the level

What's planned for the next few weeks:
    - a new enemy and a new weapon
    - finalizing this map and making part2, just outside this ship for some intense combat
    - polishing everything and making this public (including on Steam), launching the crowdfunding campaign, and hopefully dedicating the next 1.5 to 2 years working on the game

Bonus :D

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow dude! the new art looks great! 
    Ive already said I love what your doing in like 10 different ways, so Im not gonna do it again...but I love everything your doing :) :P
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking really great!  Keep at it!
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    @lotet Thanks a million, I don't mind at all, keep doing it haha :D
    @aclund3 Thanks, still working! It's been about 6 months of focused, part time work on it. Finally getting ready to show everything.

New key art for Steam, possibly inspired by DOOM box art:

And easter egg skin:

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Wow that key art; jsut amazing, really eye catching love it!! +1 for Akira skin :D
  • Apocrs1980
    Offline / Send Message
    Apocrs1980 polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking super awesome! Fantastic work! 
  • kohyunu
    Offline / Send Message
    kohyunu polycounter lvl 6
    When the ship turns, it evokes that 'organic mech' feel I get from Metal Slug.
    Love it! <3
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Hey just saw this pop up on Steam yesterday (right to the wishlist it went), and thought I'd post the link here for anyone else who's been keeping an eye on this project: https://store.steampowered.com/app/986780/Supersolar/

Games looking great! Best of luck with the upcoming release :)
  • nogaree
    Offline / Send Message
    nogaree polycounter lvl 5
    The art looks gorgeous, I am a little bit worried about the gameplay though.
    This is early, so I don't know whether I should even bring it up, but it just doesn't look juicy enough to me at the moment (mostly the shooting, the flying looks fun already).
    Best of luck with the project!
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Nice. Nice. Interesting. I love the progress on this thread. That ship is lookin' smooth. Awesome :smile: