Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UE4 Brewery Environment

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
rezinekk polycounter lvl 5
Hey all!

I am currently taking a course at CGMA in Modular Environments with Clinton Crumpler. I would like to share my progress and all the things I create for this environment, see what you guys think and implement your valuable feedback.

The environment I am going for is a beer brewery set around the mid 19th century. I really like the appeal of the environment being a workplace yet at the same time being so beautiful and well kept. This environment is a also perfect to study molecularity as most assets here I will create with a trim sheet! 

Here is my general moodboard and reference board for the project:

Here is the blockout I have created so far in UE4. First thing I notice is that I will probably replace some of the back windows with a normal wall in order to control how many things I have to show outside of the environment.

I try to post weekly updates about my progress and what assets I create.

Thank you for reading :)!

Replies

• Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Do you know that this is probably the heineken museum in Amsterdam? :P I've been there and it looks a lot like that inside. Good job on the proportions btw
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Do you know that this is probably the heineken museum in Amsterdam? :P I've been there and it looks a lot like that inside. Good job on the proportions btw
    Thank you! That's what I am exactly basing it on :) I've been in Amsterdam however the line was so loong we didn't go in (now I wish I did). Still early stages, however I will post all of my progress when I get home. 
  • heyeye
    Offline / Send Message
    heyeye polycounter lvl 6
    Nice reference board and block out start. Farther along, I would suggest sourcing reference that depicts what a well-kept, clean, Victorian era building interior looked like as they existed in their era(old photos). Might help with some of your authenticity in terms of age and wear.

Museums try their best to preserve, but most of the time age wins.
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    so today after a really long time I sat down and used substance designer. I was always kinda scared of it as it felt really complicated but after today I can see how much fun you can have whilst using this software. tweaking all the little options is really rewarding and I can see how this workflow is better when you have to go back and tweak something really quickly. 

I decided I want to create a white tile texture which will be the base for my whole environment as its used everywhere in the scene.  This was my first go at creating the texture.

My initial thought ' huh. that's not too bad'. 
    Then I actually put the texture into UE4 and changed my mine. Back to the drawing 

1 and a half hour later and I managed to make something a little bit more usable. 

I might have to increase the size on these tiles as they might be slightly too small for my environment however I feel it's an alright start. Let me know if you have any tips! 

My substance graph.
    In Engine:

• rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    just another update of my texture work. I challenged myself to create a texture without the help of any tutorials only using reference pics and this is what I ended up with. I really like the water level function in Substance Designer, makes it super easy to create this kind of stuff. 
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the first iteration of my trimsheet, my whole environment is based on trims therefore I think I will create another one for tiles/stairs/rails etc. The vats are going to be created only using trimsheets due to their size. 
    Test of trimsheet on the vats:

• Sherif3142
    Offline / Send Message
    Sherif3142 polycounter lvl 5
    The blockout looks really cool,Only critique is that the bricks look too small compared to your reference.

• rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of the unique assets I have created.

Now I noticed there is some lightmap issues on the table. Will have to go back into Maya and fix that. I can see that the golden studs are fairly low quality as well so I will increase the resoultion for that as it just looks bad. 
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the bar table. I redid the UV's, the textures and reimported in the texture. I think it looks better. Not sure about the material but it surely is better than the previous one. 

• rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    hey all, an update before I leave for holiday. Wanted to get something major done so I focused on the window. I think they turned out pretty nice however still long way to go before I get them perfect like I want.  added a Trim to the wall and I have increased the size of the tiles on the walls like @Sherif3142 suggested however, I feel they are still too small. When I get back I will go back into substance designer and make this bigger and also make the normal pop out a little bit more. 

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Loving those windows. The marble material looks cool too.
  • jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    This is really shaping up to be a nice piece. I especially like the materials and texturing work. That first white tile comparison really shows how far subtle detail in the roughness of a mat can push a material over the top in terms of realism. My only crit is that the, um, large beer making container thingies feel a bit too reflective and polished. The, er, uber sink with many faucets has the right read in terms of weathering and shininess imo. Keep it up!
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,

sorry for the long break, I had to take a break due to the fact that I had to care of some family matters. But I am back! 

This is the progress I made so far. I have made another square tile material but I can see that it is too shiny. I made some lamp blockouts which I will improve upon as the project goes along. I am looking for things to fill up the large white walls on the side as they are pretty overwhelming which I think causes the place to seem really empty. In my epic overpaint you can see the beautiful red door. I think creating the door will create an illusion that there is much more to this environment than just this room and will help contain the space a little bit. Let me know what you guys think as I really need some advice! 

• Olingova
    Offline / Send Message
    Olingova interpolator
    Really nice blockout already and love all the mat so far!! You re gonna vertex paint some water on the floor?
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    @Olingova thank you for your kind words! Today I will finish texturing all the assets and creating some interesting vertex painting materials is next on the list. After reading about breweries, the environment is described as hot and humid so I will make sure to capture that feeling in this scene. I will paint some spilled water near the hoses,barrels etc! 
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, some progress that I have made on this project. Let me know what you think. I still need to change the door as something is wrong with it and I am not just sure what. I am preparing some posters to be put up (regarding work ethic, timing etc.) Looking forward to hearing your feedback
  • RustySpannerz
    Offline / Send Message
    RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
    This looks really beautiful! 
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks really beautiful! 
    Thank you :)
  • polygons
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    Really great work! I agree with you on the door looking weird. The windows on the doors look nice but the doors don't look like doors because there are no doorknobs or hinges and the trim blends in really well with the wood of the door almost making them feel like cabinets.
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons said:
    Really great work! I agree with you on the door looking weird. The windows on the doors look nice but the doors don't look like doors because there are no doorknobs or hinges and the trim blends in really well with the wood of the door almost making them feel like cabinets.
    Thank you :)! I am redoing the doors today as even after I have added the door knobs etc it looks a little strange. I will post an update later on today as I added some decals and wall posters which kind of added a lot mood the environment. I look forward to hearing what you guys think! 
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys this is the progress from today. Let me know what you think! I added some vertex painted water which I think really did well for the tiles as it broke them up very nicely. 
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I feel like the scale is off - either the vats are too small, or the rest is too big
    - tiles on every structural surface create alot of noise, break it up by introducing some non-pattern smoother surfaces

• rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba said:
    I feel like the scale is off - either the vats are too small, or the rest is too big
    - tiles on every structural surface create alot of noise, break it up by introducing some non-pattern smoother surfaces

thanks for this, really helped me out in this. the vats were the problem as they were wayy too small for being like industrial vats. I've done a few changes before going in to work and you can see the effect immediately. my instruction recommended changing the ceiling to like a smoother plaster material to help with the repetition so I will do that after work today! Once again thank you :) 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    This is shaping up really nicely! Superb job so far! 

I think you should add more polys to the cylinders/brewery things. If you would play this in a FPS view they would seem quite boxy right now, and as they are so central to the piece you could give them some more love.

There are also some things I think you can add that would give it even more scale and make it look more like a workplace. For example some brooms and buckets for cleaning, gloves and tools for handling the hot surfaces and maybe some hooks for hanging up your clothes or work gear near the doors to name some few stuff. 

I am looking forward to see you push this even further! 

• rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

Just wanted to share my progress this week. The course is officially finished however, I don't feel the scene is finished at all so I will take the next few weeks to finish it to the best of my ability. @shabba I switched the ceiling for like a rough plaster material which I feel helps to break up the scene a little bit, thank you for the tip! @Nuclear Angel I started adding the things you mentioned and really helps with scale. I am still learning marvelous designer so I decided to use it to create aprons and I can say MD is amazing! Thank you for the tips! 

Here is some screenshots
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Nice changes so far! Just a few suggestions that are minor

• fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    There's a lot of very strong AO in your scene and very dark shadows. It's making the space feel smaller. In every photo you've posted as reference, soft lighting airy lighting really lends scale to the place.
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys!

@shabba thank you so much for the document you made, it has helped me tremendously. I have had a look at the 'clock' things hanging down and they are actually like a museum piece that state the process going on so I am not sure If I should add them as they were not part of the brewery initially, what do you think? I have took your advice and the scene improved a lot! @fearian i agree, i put the AO down and it made the space so much better. I also made the vertex painted water material a little better and I feel this project is coming together. Let me know what you think! 

• Olenka
    Offline / Send Message
    Olenka polycounter lvl 4
    As a big beer lover I can only like this :p It looks great so far ! The thing that pops out the most for me atm are the ceiling stains . Keep it up !
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    These latest shots are really nice, good colours and composition and the lighting has improved too. There does seem to also be some light bleed on that roof in the last shot. I cant tell well from here but maybe the wood texture on the barrels could be less flat.
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, 

I managed to finish the project as I am starting another CGMA course and I am starting a new job this week as a 3D Artist (yay!). I can't thank you guys enough for this and how much you have helped me. Here are some captures. 

ArtStation link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GXOZKz

I will probably come back to this project and polish it up once I have some more time but I am really proud of what I have created and how much I have learnt however I can see that there are several things that I could improve. 
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great work and congrats on the job!
  • Corderoch
    Offline / Send Message
    Corderoch polycounter lvl 5
    yeah ! great work !
  • kierangoodson
    Offline / Send Message
    kierangoodson polycounter lvl 3
    @rezinekk I've been keeping an eye on this project for a while and have to say it is incredible. I particularly like the way you presented all the individual props in modular fashion which is nice to see as an environment artist. I think you've nailed that bronze and warm colour theme- slick af man, well done and congratulations on the new job!
  • rezinekk
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words guys! @kierangoodson I am really pleased with the vats as well, really proud of the shine they give :D Regarding the modular breakdown i think it's important to do it to show your workflow and that you have the ability to create modular assets. All the best!