Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Environment] Underbelly Butcher

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
PraxisPixels polycounter lvl 6
Hey everyone. I just started school again and that means it's time to start doing tons and tons of art.

My assignment for the next 7 weeks is to make the interior of a Dwarven Butchershop. Most of the stuff I usually do is small props and outdoor environments so this will be a fun exercise for me. 

For this project I really want to push story telling within my texture work and prop design. So here's my little story concept that goes along with the project.
In many cities, if you’re looking for a fight, a meal, or a sword for hire, you would do well to go to the pub. However, in Denoval the real fighters are found in the Underbelly. Bahlen the Fourth’s Underbelly Butcher has been home to the real legends for generations. Sure you could find a fighter or a wanna-be hero in any number of pubs across the high mountain city, but if you were looking to find a man worth his salt, a warrior of true grit, none beat those at the Underbelly. During the day, the Underbelly serves up the finest raw cuts of meat and the freshest catches for 50 miles, but when the sharp chill of night descends upon Denoval, the Underbelly caters to a different crowd
By night, Bahlen arms and feeds any warrior that knows the secret phrase. A tradition that was passed down to him, alongside ownership of the Underbelly. The dwarven tunnels used to import the Underbelly’s goods serve more than just that purpose. Writhing and twisting from the shop to the base of the mountain, these passageways allow for men to come and go in the night, hidden from watchful eyes.

I will be posting updates whenever I have new work completed! So come check in :) I would also love some of the communities feedback! So don't hesitate to drop a critique or idea.

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a first pass at a moodboard with some material and food item ideas

• PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my first pass at an initial stone texture for the main counter top. I wanted to use this to figure out the mood and style and color palate. 

• PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few more base textures for the scene. 
    Stone tile will likely be for the floor, and the wood will be used for trim and vertical support beams along the wall.

Currently working on a few different layouts with a 180 degree camera view. 

• PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Everyone! It's Been a while :)

Get most of the scene layout built and started texturing and propping out some corners of the room! Here are a few images of sections that are almost finished. Still playing with lighting and there will be many more small props to come in the next week or two 
  • Baiano22
    Offline / Send Message
    Baiano22 polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good so far! I'm anxious to see the food! Will you have a focal point in the scene? If yes...  just a suggestion... take a look at the amount of detail that you put in every single texture, maybe do you want to keep the focal point with a lot of detail and the rest with less small detail. But if you want to practice render the textures... keep going, because it's looking good! The contrast of cool and warm tones... you nailed it!
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    This is going to end up looking great! I'd suggest working on the bear rug. It looks noticeably flat.
  • PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    @Baiano22 Thank you for the ideas! I'm mostly trying to just practice texturing, but I would also like to have some clear focal points. I'll start paying more attention to the level of detail I give each of my props from here on out. 

@Ashervisalis Thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking of changin it so that the bear head is actually 3D instead of a flat plane, but I could also change the mesh around all the edges to give it more dimension. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that'd be cool. Giving it some shape in the middle  and at the head would work wonders as well. The heads of bear rugs are usually higher than the rest of the rug. I actually read this cool tutorial for giving a sense of fuzziness; If you're working with a plane (like you have here), have a secondary plane with scattered opacity (I guess different parts of the rug would be opaque), and then have a third plane that has even less opaque areas. The tutorial was for the moss they made in Shadow of the Colossus, mind you, but I feel it might be interesting to see if this same technique works for your rug? Then again it might not fit the style.
  • PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    New Update! Got some meats and fishes modeled and textured up. Still have a few more things I'd like to add menu wise, but I may run out of time :( I only have one more week to work on this project.

Anyway! Let me know what you think of the meats and fish hehe

• PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some new props made and messed with lighting a bit more since yesterday. The Spiderwebs aren't really working the way I had hoped, I may have to scratch them, unless anyone has any ideas on how to make the Alphas not look fat and stencill-y in Marmoset viewer.

Anyway CC always appreciated!! 

Almost done with this one

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the spiderwebs. Are you going to put anything on the shield shaped wood item behind the sausages in the first picture? That's standing out to me as having too few polys for its silhouette and should have something in the middle.
  • PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ashervisalis Yes! I've been working on a deer bust to put on the plack. That said, I still need to finish texturing the wood plack itself with some finer details.
  • PraxisPixels
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally finished! I am excited to share what I've got with you guys. I received some great feedback from some of you kind folks that really helped improve this scene.

If you wanna come check out more detail shots there's a ton on my Artstation

• WillPowell
    Offline / Send Message
    WillPowell polycounter lvl 2
    Lovin' them meat textures