Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Panorama - Substance Designer

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ali_Youssef polycounter lvl 6
Update: Got it animated

Animated the clouds and stars, and added a bump offset to fake some volume. (apologies for the low quality)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hey guys !
I'm starting a little sci-fi project for my portfolio, so naturally I wanted a good space hdri.
I found this on reddit, which is absolutely brilliant, cheers for the OP
However I wanted to animate it in Unreal, so I decided to remake the panorama in Substance, which seemed simpler than dissecting the original.
I'm not sure if this is anything new, I mean it's simple enough, but I couldn't find anything similar online, so I decided to share it with you guys !
Hopefully someone who's better than me at Substance can make something cooler-looking and post it here, I would love that.

Anyway, here it is

That's  the perspective view ^, here's the full thing

I made a couple of other variations, I actually tried to make one of them colourful contrasty nebulae, but I failed miserably.
I couldn't make "smoke-like" colours, nothing I did looked 3-dimensional enough, so I would love any advice regarding that.

Anyway here are some of the tries:

For anyone interested how they're made, I made a star generator and tiled it via 6 "Panorama Shape" nodes, everything else is a mix of just regular blending and other panorama shapes so they're offset properly on the sky sphere.
I'll be animating these bad boys in Unreal hopefully soon, so we'll see how that'll look, on the meantime I'd absolutely love anyone who can give some solid advice on doing 3D-like coloured smoke, which will improve these tremendously.

Thanks for stopping by !

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Hopefully someone who's better than me at Substance can make something cooler-looking and post it here
    What are you talking about man, these are already super cool looking! I look forward to seeing these in UE. I'll probably try my hand at this, because I love space and haven't thought to use SD for something as cool as this. I feel like the shape of the clouds in the final image could use some tweaking, as there's no rest area for the starts in the background to shine through.
  • Ali_Youssef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hopefully someone who's better than me at Substance can make something cooler-looking and post it here
    What are you talking about man, these are already super cool looking! I look forward to seeing these in UE. I'll probably try my hand at this, because I love space and haven't thought to use SD for something as cool as this. I feel like the shape of the clouds in the final image could use some tweaking, as there's no rest area for the starts in the background to shine through.
    Hey, cheers !
    Absolutely true about the last image, I tried to cram in as much colors as I could, and didn't bother testing it with a skysphere.
    I decided to only focus on the first one now, which I got animated, I think it looks a bit better now.

Post it here if you end up doing one, I'd love to see it !
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roger that.

Can you explain what you mean by animating it? Do you have multiple layers with varying opacity?
  • Ali_Youssef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I split the stars and nebula into different textures, and ran a panned noise texture on each (nebula is simply added on top)
    So now the stars flicker and the nebula kind of warps.

Updated the gif, apparently you can just upload those, d'oh
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man that's cool. I feel like if you slow down the animation for UE4, it'll give it that vast cosmic feeling.
  • Mehran Khan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    wow this is awesome man.
  • JZak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JZak polycounter lvl 12
     Thank you for posting the gif so we can get an idea of how it moves.    Nicely done! 
  • JSlade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JSlade polycounter lvl 7
    Ali, what resolution is that map? If possible, could we see the graph?
  • Ali_Youssef
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JSlade said:
    Ali, what resolution is that map? If possible, could we see the graph?
    It can go up to 8k x 4k, but that resolution needs too much memory and patience to export from SD, so I just exported it as 4k x 2k

And here are the SD and ue4 graphs respectively (too unorganized, I know)