Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Character] Dirty Iron

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Sarish7 polycounter lvl 7
I'm starting a new project based on a character in the Dirty Iron series. You can see the original art here:  https://www.artstation.com/artwork/4nL24 

I thought I'd keep an updated WIP here so I can get feedback throughout the process. Right now I've spent about a day blocking in the figure and face so looots of work to do. so much work to go.

I'm working in ZBrush, will be doing everything from scratch so figure pulled up from ZSpheres, going to learn some Marvelous Designer and need to figure out how to do braids!

Replies

• kanga
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Nice start! The figure in the ref pic is bonier (especially in the face). The head gives us a clue as to the rest of the figure, so in general she is slimmer. For the sculpt pose it is easier to give the figure some gravity to stop it having that floaty look and injects a bit of attitude and weight which makes the model easier to work with.

Here is a reference from Zack Petroc. Notice the s form in the profile, elbows in, hand and foot characters and the balance. Also the limbs have curves that are counter balanced. 

You will inject much more character into your model with a bit more work on the base.
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feedback thank you so much. You're right I was erring towards a slightly more filled out figure because I felt a bit uncomfortable sculpting out a bonier body but it's not fitting the concept right. I'll push for a wirier look. 

I've also heard similar feedback to the floaty look with other pieces, but usually brush it off as "Well I'm going to pose it". Time to listen to feedback and make a change for the better. Thank you for the example piece that helps a lot.

kanga said:
    Nice start! The figure in the ref pic is bonier (especially in the face). The head gives us a clue as to the rest of the figure, so in general she is slimmer. For the sculpt pose it is easier to give the figure some gravity to stop it having that floaty look and injects a bit of attitude and weight which makes the model easier to work with.

Here is a reference from Zack Petroc. Notice the s form in the profile, elbows in, hand and foot characters and the balance. Also the limbs have curves that are counter balanced. 

You will inject much more character into your model with a bit more work on the base.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Concept art remind me of Misty Copeland maybe check her for some reference image
    Big fan of Zack but in this old study he broke both wrist and knee just note of advice if you use this as reference, gesture and character is great but bones are bones [not flexible]
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Concept art remind me of Misty Copeland maybe check her for some reference image
    Big fan of Zack but in this old study he broke both wrist and knee just note of advice if you use this as reference, gesture and character is great but bones are bones [not flexible]
    Ah! Butts. I've been using Tashi Rodriguez and a mash of some other bodies but Misty is a terrific reference! Thanks for that! And noted on the bendy bones! 
  • kanga
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yup I picked Zack because he is my favorite. That is personal though. I reckon its best to pick artistic ref that is attractive to you though.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    @kanga does he still teach I haven't seen anything new since Character Creation Master Class which was long time ago

• kanga
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    @kanga does he still teach I haven't seen anything new since Character Creation Master Class which was long time ago

Still teach the private sector mainly. Still slogging away at character creation. Texturing characters with substance atm. Will put em up when they are far enough along.
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Continuing fleshing out the body. Everything needs at least 2 more levels of refinement but trying to get the big shapes down. She will be wearing boots, so I don't think it's worth fleshing out her feet much farther. 

Rough mech arm; I'm just messing around with IMM brushes and primitives to figure out smaller pieces of the design. I'll build the whole thing from scratch in either Maya or Max when I get to that point. 

• kanga
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looking much improved!
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt want to stop your impressive progress so there are just a few things for you to consider mainly line of contrast issues
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    I didnt want to stop your impressive progress so there are just a few things for you to consider mainly line of contrast issues
    Thanks this is helpful! Haha yeah her upper butt bulge is not so great, she's been working on the wrong muscles at the gym :smiley:
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Some changes based on @carvuliero 's feedback and more detail work on the face hands.

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    You might need a better references to check your progress with , something in natural position similar to your sculpt
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks I'll keep working on it.

carvuliero said:
    You might need a better references to check your progress with , something in natural position similar to your sculpt

• Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working away on previous body feedback, but over the past few days I have taken some time to make some chompers a tongue and scar up her face/shoulder. 

• Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Tidying up smaller details and finalizing the form, going to switch over to the robotic arm next before I get into retopology.

• carvuliero
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Dangit you're so good at this @carvuliero . Thanks for the gif that is crazy helpful. I am in a bit of a time crunch so I've been fudging things and ignoring glaring problems (like that hunch back) Thanks for not letting me slack off on my own work. 

carvuliero said:

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Do your best with the time you have
    Is this gif more descriptive then my other paintover scribbles ?
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Do your best with the time you have
    Is this gif more descriptive then my other paintover scribbles ?
    Thanks, I'll try! I think so yes, the paintovers are very good as well especially with the notes, but something about seeing it morph makes it very clear what I need to do. 
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    Work continues, starting to flesh out accessories. The robot arm is all 100% placeholder more to feel out silhouette and play with level of detail in different areas. The main design is based off the concept of course but the concept is quite vague about the mech. Boots will gain a lot of detail in the texturing process, leather and wear and shoelaces will be added when I start on low poly. 

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Few small things , + neck can probably stay as is

• kanga
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks good man. The boots turned out great!
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    inspiring anatomy progress here, nice work so far
  • Sarish7
    Offline / Send Message
    As always thanks @carvuliero ! :)

carvuliero said:
    Few small things , + neck can probably stay as is