Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    thanks for that!

did i get that right: question 16 is about wireframe color per object ala 3ds max? that would be much appreciated for sure (there's also a custom build out there that does it).

and number 19: what could be more important than that??? :#

two things that for sure would be handy to have is backface culling per object - as opposed to viewport-wide - and the hidden line display mode made availabe in object mode. last time i looked at 2.8 i think it had neither of these.

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Grease Pencil was finally merged with the 2.8 Master branch and uses Eevee just like the matcaps and PBR shading.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3iyy-gGeIU
  • MACHIN3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    renderhjs said:
    Grease Pencil was finally merged with the 2.8 Master branch and uses Eevee just like the matcaps and PBR shading.
    It has a world space scale now, instead of screen space as before, which is great!
    Still can't do straight lines on the surface of an object though, so there's still a need for my tape tool :)
  • xrg
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    That retopo stuff looks great. I'm glad I bought it, even though I dont use it :/ much.  Finally made vide about shape transfer addon:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tsn7Qbyv1o
  • Pain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pain polycounter lvl 9
    edit: Found out the problem.

• ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    LucasFilm senior concept artist Jama Jurabaev released part one of his Blender tutorial series: Introduction to Blender workflow (Volume One)
    I think this is just wonderful news because someone of his caliber can influence a lot of people to give Blender a try.

https://gumroad.com/l/xSmGg
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/roExO
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwTYTreqO74
  • SnowInChina
  • Zablorg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg polycounter lvl 6
    I've been developing a system of quickly modelling and rigging fingers in Blender by modelling a single base finger, then using Array and Mesh Deform modifiers to flexibly adjust them into the different sizes and proportions. As well as generating the finger meshes, this would also have the advantage of copying along vertex weighting and shape keys that you would only have to define once.

The roadblock I'm having with this is that I can't copy and adjust bones in the same way. It's very frustrating. A partial workaround would be to make a 3-line mesh segment that represents the bone positions, and have it follow the Mesh Deform modifier so that the placement is equivalent across the bones.

However, the bone alignment would not be respected. I don't want to arbitrarily define the bone rolls for each finger, but nor do I want to set up a complex system of planes and axes to manually set it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replicating bones in a similar to how I'm replicating finger meshes?
  • Zablorg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zablorg said:
    I've been developing a system of quickly modelling and rigging fingers in Blender by modelling a single base finger, then using Array and Mesh Deform modifiers to flexibly adjust them into the different sizes and proportions. As well as generating the finger meshes, this would also have the advantage of copying along vertex weighting and shape keys that you would only have to define once.

The roadblock I'm having with this is that I can't copy and adjust bones in the same way. It's very frustrating. A partial workaround would be to make a 3-line mesh segment that represents the bone positions, and have it follow the Mesh Deform modifier so that the placement is equivalent across the bones.

However, the bone alignment would not be respected. I don't want to arbitrarily define the bone rolls for each finger, but nor do I want to set up a complex system of planes and axes to manually set it up.

Does anyone have any suggestions for replicating bones in a similar to how I'm replicating finger meshes?
    I think I've solved this- in addition to the aforementioned 3-line mesh segment to represent bone positions, I also extrude another point perpendicular to the finger to represent the bone axis alignment. Then, with that mesh copied and adjusted per the mesh deformer, I use those perpendicular points to recalculate the bone roll ( Ctrl+N, "Cursor"). 
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    New bake mode for TexTools "Thickness", uses the new AO cycles node in the 2.8 branch to bake inverted normals AO with inverted color output.

Other improvements include multi island support for the rectify tool inside TexTools. This includes partial selections.

Some personal work I am using TexTools myself for (Texture Mesh wrap tool used here). Its to create sharp vector style borders on a globe model with existing texture mapping

I am using the wireframe modifier to generate the line geometry
  • xrg
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://youtu.be/uf3ALGKgpGU
    New film from Tangent Animation, made in Blender and rendered in Cycles.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    This was on Blenderartists a while ago. Alex Treviño published an article with the full workflow of his "Junk Shop" still scene:
    http://www.aendom.com/tuts/junkshop-workflow-en/

He used Blender, Substance and Photoshop.
    It's worth reading just for the tiny GIFs explaining the process (what a great way to complement a text tutorial by the way, it makes things much more clear).
    He also sells the scene files on his gumroad: https://gumroad.com/l/fHsHa
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Can you do something similar to Zbrush grooming and then converting to alpha sheets in Blender? Can anyone point me to some tutorials please? I want to try create something similar to this guy in Blender without Zbrush.

• RaphaelBarros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaphaelBarros polycounter lvl 2
    Panupat said:
    Can you do something similar to Zbrush grooming and then converting to alpha sheets in Blender? Can anyone point me to some tutorials please? I want to try create something similar to this guy in Blender without Zbrush.

The closest thing I know is by using Hair Tool addon ($) https://gumroad.com/l/hairtool

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @Panupat you can try the Particle Instance modifier with Create Along Paths option.
    You add this modifier on hair card(s) and set the target object as the mesh with the hair particle systems.
    It's really powerful.
    The only downside of this method is that you need to step out to object mode to see how the cards look after you groom the particles -- while in particle edit mode the hair card instances don't update as you groom the particles.

You can convert it all to mesh later if you're going to put in on Sketchfab etc., you do that by applying the P. Inst. modifiers. But if you keep the modifier there, the hair card instances can follow the mesh as you animate it.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
  • wazou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    2 videos on the next update of Speedflow for non-destructive workflow.

https://youtu.be/0zJm0UCwJW0
    https://youtu.be/1T_IFEF6Igs

• frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    @wazou
    This has been looking super interesting.

There are a few modelling/workflow addons, namely Speedflow, MeshMachine and HardOps I guess.
    Can anyone tell me how they stack up?
  • MACHIN3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    frmdbl said:
    @wazou
    This has been looking super interesting.

There are a few modelling/workflow addons, namely Speedflow, MeshMachine and HardOps I guess.
    Can anyone tell me how they stack up?
    All of them work great in full screen.

Speedflow does make modifier based modeling very accessible through modals. It's the most general purpose tool of the 3 I'd say.

Hardops is more focused on hard surface and has a more targeted toolset, including various sharpening tools. It's also focusing on modifier based modeling, but mainly around the bevel and boolean modifiers. It also  comes with a few mesh modeling tools.

MESHmachine is very focused on just mesh modeling, providing modeling(and normal) tools, Blender (or any other 3d package) just does not have. Check out the recent videos in this playlist. made for documentation purposes. I'm almost done with these, working on the plug videos right now, before pushing out the big 0.6 release.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @MACHIN3 Somewhat expensive tools you got. Can't get any of them with the current budget of mine, unfortunately. I'm basically living from a hand to mouth, haha. Still, nothing has stopped me creating hard surface assets with Blender's native tools for 5+ years so far, so I'm not in trouble, lol.
  • MACHIN3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MACHIN3 sublime tool
    @MACHIN3 Somewhat expensive tools you got. Can't get any of them with the current budget of mine, unfortunately. I'm basically living from a hand to mouth, haha. Still, nothing has stopped me creating hard surface assets with Blender's native tools for 5+ years so far, so I'm not in trouble, lol.
    30 usd is not expensive, esp. considering the amount of tools that are provided, per addon. My addons unlock workflows, they aren't just single tools.

There are 20usd addons on BM, that basically are just a single modeling tool, and I'd say these are perhaps overpriced. But that's not the case for either DM or MM, especially considering the additional amount of effort I put into documentation, which eats a lot of my time == increases addon costs, is a pain to create, and is still ignored by most. Still, I invest in it to decrease the effort I have to put into support  over time.

edit:
    Coincidentally, MESHmachine has ~30 tools. That's one 1usd per tool.
  • Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    Not expensive at all. You need to understand that these tools allows you to make more and save time.
    My tool on blender market costs 13$ and it saves a lot of manual hand work. 
    Machine tools as well as Hardops saved me ton of time already so if you do modelling at least somewhat professionally it costs roughly a few hours of your work which is totally worth it.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    @MACHIN3 I appreaciate your breakdown that I'd be paying $30 for 30 tools, with $1 per tool, instead of one tool. That's a lot more understandable that I originally thought. I'd be happy to support your tools and speed up my workflow, but I gotta save up for few months first for that though. I'll come by and tell you when I buy MESHmachine someday in future. Just like how I told radiancef0rge, when I bought his normal map blending shader for Toolbag last year. ;)
  • wazou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wazou polycounter lvl 5
    Another video on Non-destructive workflow.

https://youtu.be/PvIpxabeWQI

frmdbl I could say, all addons work great together, each one is specialized in his workflow even if all have some tools that do the same with some differences.

I made speedflow to work on every kind of modeling, you are not limited and for me, it's really important.
    I Like to keep everything editable for example, for my work it's the best workflow because I can use booleans, modifiers etc to make my model validated and after I can clean it.
    The goal is to edit with ease as much as possible.
    Like that, I can work faster and better.
    For hardsurface, game assets or characters.

Each addon has his own workflow and depending on what people do in 3D, they will choose one or several and use what they need.

About the price, people have to understand that on blender prices are really small, on Maya, an addon is most of the time at more than 100$.
    There are some addons like that on Blender, some really useful, some other not really.
    Our addons are in fact really cheap and with the percentage, sites take and the conversion in €, we need to sell a lot to be able to live with the addons.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    I've been having a fun time learning blender although one place it seems to fall short is packing UVs. the default function seems to do a very lazy job - https://i.imgur.com/HCOHNE5.png

Do blender users just manually pack UVs or is there a better solution i'm not aware of? 

• FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Deforges said:
    I've been having a fun time learning blender although one place it seems to fall short is packing UVs. the default function seems to do a very lazy job - https://i.imgur.com/HCOHNE5.png

Do blender users just manually pack UVs or is there a better solution i'm not aware of? 

Talked to this guy briefly in Discord some time ago, and he's working on a UV packing addon for Blender:

He offers the demo version for free, if you wish to test it out:

But I like packing my UVs by hand, because I want to organize my UVs very carefully.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks @fourtyNights I'll try it out. 
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    started to put together the docs and github repo for my set flow addon. Was thinking to sell it but ditched the idea - so before this thing sets dust on on my drive I decided to just push it out.

So if someone wants to give it a spinn go ahead (it probably needs some testing):

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Kio - looks great, thank you man. Gonna test later!
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    kio - It works beautifully; great addition to my workflow.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @kio thanks for sharing it, love that you took the time to explain how it works: https://github.com/BenjaminSauder/EdgeFlow#how-it-works

I haven't spent the time yet to decipher how Blender makes its curvature flow with the subdivide-smooth op, but the code is in here anyway: https://github.com/dfelinto/blender/blob/master/source/blender/bmesh/operators/bmo_subdivide.c#L259-L369

There's also this other script for 3ds, it uses linear interpolation last time I checked it:
    https://polycount.com/discussion/182140/border-fill-modelers-dream-come-true/p1
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Nice stuff Mio. I have been working on some cloth pattern maker stuff. It works but still lots of work to do:

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    @kio : this is looking great, and so simple to use too ! I feel like with this + the volume smoothing/Lapalacian smooth add-on by Bartosz Styperek, all the surface smoothing needs one could have are pretty much covered now.

Now I am wondering : Would there be a way to run an equivalent of Edge Flow, but on loop selection of edges rather than rings ? Being able to evenly spread verts that way would be extremely useful. The default Blender "Smooth Vertex" command does help of course, but it loses the original shape/volume since it is more of a relax than a smooth.

Basically something like this (the first two images are showing what Set Flow already does, for context) : 

But maybe there is already a known way to do that using Blender defaults or some existing add-on ?
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    hmm I think it wouldn't be much of a problem to do this, it's just a matter of collecting the correct verts for the smoothing. Maybe I'll look into it, would be a nice addition.
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Pior - you may want to try Mira tools curve stretch. It works on multiple parallel edge loops at once. So you can interpolate with it and smooth the topology.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that does sounds useful but quite different isn't it ? I don't see how that could help with evening out verts along an existing surface loop - as a matter of fact ... that looks pretty much like the opposite :)
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Sometimes it is useful:

You can then repeat this on loops going perpendicular to even the mesh even more.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I am not saying that it isn't useful - the Mira tools certainly are powerful, no doubt about that. I am just saying that it is quite different from what was described above :) The topic is certainly related, but the action is different. 
  • ant1fact
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ant1fact polycounter lvl 9
    Cloth stuff looking cute, @JoseConseco!

@pior have you tried https://gumroad.com/l/vol_smooth
    This script is incredibly powerful

Alternatively select all edge rings along the edge loops you want to correct and run a LoopTools -> Space (or Relax, sometimes they are interchangable)
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    Anyone know why a couple of verts in my mesh are not deforming properly?

As you can see from the shading, their weight is set to 1 for the selected bone. They have no other bones influencing them.

When I add some tiny weights from the previous bone in the chain the verts will start to play nice by moving with the rest of the hand, but still don't react to their actual bone when I rotate or move it. All the other fingers (and mirrored ones on the right hand) work fine.

I had the same problem last night and couldn't figure it out. So I just rebuilt the finger from scratch and that fixed it. But then when I reopened the file this morning the problem had returned for the new finger.

Edit: I have also tried killing all weights and exporting the hand to an OBJ to get a fresh start, but the problem persists when I reimport and weight the hand.

Edit 2: I deleted the bone and recreated it and that seems to have fixed it. Weird.
  • Linko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    I have created a stylized shader for Blender 2.8 that you can use as a base texture, you just have to tweak the sliders for the amount of pointiness, top lighting, AO, SSS, etc. and to tweak the analagous gradient colors (the color values are kept) and a 2k texture is plugged ready to be painted.

Test on the high poly girl created by Marc Brunet for his Hand-Painted tutorial on Cubebrush:

Test on some Dota models, I have just subsurfed the low polys, the result would be much better on the high poly.

I have also converted two popular ZBrush matcaps for Blender 2.8 (they are free to share) and added a silhouette matcap.
    You must copy them in \2.80\datafiles\studiolights\matcap

• oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
     I spent the last new days making this, it will be a game object, currently its about 5000k polys, so obviously I will also have to make lower lod versions too. comments welcome.

• Zablorg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 said:
     I spent the last new days making this, it will be a game object, currently its about 5000k polys, so obviously I will also have to make lower lod versions too. comments welcome.

If it's a game object, I'd consider just making it simple box with alpha textures to represent the wire meshing, if you haven't already done so.

(Probably use this mesh to bake the mesh texture, though)
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    pior said:
    @kio : this is looking great, and so simple to use too ! I feel like with this + the volume smoothing/Lapalacian smooth add-on by Bartosz Styperek, all the surface smoothing needs one could have are pretty much covered now.

Now I am wondering : Would there be a way to run an equivalent of Edge Flow, but on loop selection of edges rather than rings ? Being able to evenly spread verts that way would be extremely useful. The default Blender "Smooth Vertex" command does help of course, but it loses the original shape/volume since it is more of a relax than a smooth.

Basically something like this (the first two images are showing what Set Flow already does, for context) : 

But maybe there is already a known way to do that using Blender defaults or some existing add-on ?
    I would assume you tried LoopTools - Space already, but it should work fine for that, maybe in combination with Relax depending on the result you are looking for. 
  • JoseConseco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoseConseco greentooth
    Some more  progress on garment maker thing:

• brosif
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brosif polycounter lvl 5
    @JoseConseco That's looking great! I'm sure the simulations will look fantastic when mixed with Luca Rood's cloth improvements to 2.8.
  • Zablorg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep getting the "no active image found" error when I try to bake a diffuse map in Blender Cycles, despite implementing the typically-given fix of adding a texture node referencing the file I want to bake to in each material, and having no empty material slots. Are there any other typical causes of this problem?