Home Technical Talk

ZBrush <--> Blender, export size issues

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 6
Hey folks, today i faced some weird issue...
There are several ways to get a mesh exported from zbrush, right?

I tried 2 methods:

Tool -> Export
ZBrsh: Zplugin -> 3D Print hub -> "Export to separate files" as obj (the name was taken from the subtoolname)

Result:

So the questions are:
1. Why are the sizes AND the positions different?
2. can i use somehow the second method (easy for exporting ALL subtools not just one) with "size/position" of the first method?

i know there must be somehow a logical explaination, i just cant wrap my head around that difference!

Thanks in advance folks!

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Are you transferring ALL files in and OUT of Zbrush as the SAME file format?

Like files always move as an FBX or ALWAYS move as an OBJ?
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you transferring ALL files in and OUT of Zbrush as the SAME file format?

Like files always move as an FBX or ALWAYS move as an OBJ?
    i always export as obj.
    Yes what i wanted to do is export all subtools (with method 2) as a separate obj file, so i can than import it to blender separately to retopo it.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    One way to do it is with GoZ (or the GoB plugin for Blender) You have to jump through some hoops to get it working properly but that info is all on the web.

If you are retopoing then sending a decimated version of the finished mesh to Blender is usually enough.

1/ Download GoB and activate it in Blender.

2/ Transfer a decimated version of the mesh to Blender. The size and position will be wrong.

3/ Play with the Export settings in ZB till the mesh transfers at the right size and position in Blender.

4/ Save the tool with the new export settings in ZB.

5/ Now when you export your finished ZTool and your uved newly retopoed mesh from Blender the two will match up perfectly in whatever app you are going to use for texture baking and painting.

Cheers
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga said:
    One way to do it is with GoZ (or the GoB plugin for Blender) You have to jump through some hoops to get it working properly but that info is all on the web.

If you are retopoing then sending a decimated version of the finished mesh to Blender is usually enough.

1/ Download GoB and activate it in Blender.

2/ Transfer a decimated version of the mesh to Blender. The size and position will be wrong.

3/ Play with the Export settings in ZB till the mesh transfers at the right size and position in Blender.

4/ Save the tool with the new export settings in ZB.

5/ Now when you export your finished ZTool and your uved newly retopoed mesh from Blender the two will match up perfectly in whatever app you are going to use for texture baking and painting.

Cheers
    This seems to look pretty cool! Thanks a lot!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MUppwJqSAQ
    I will try it as soon as i can and write how it went,

But still why behve the 2 methods so differentially?
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage

But still why behve the 2 methods so differentially?
    Because if you model in ZB you should be working in the ultimate size for sculpting in that app. For example: you may have trouble with your brush sizes depending on how you start your model. Starting a model from a Zsphere, dynamesh sphere or imported base mesh will give you very different sizes. If your brushes don't have an effective range just unify the character (under tools?deformation tab) to get the optimal sculpting size in ZB. This does not take export scales into account though. 

So what you are doing is working on the model at its best dimensions in ZB. Using the method above ensures the model is at its optimal size and position in whatever app you are retopoing to. If you are then exporting the result to say an engine then you will have to change the scale again. That info is available on the web.

Cheers
  • goekbenjamin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay i dont understand it... i cannot wrap my head around

What i want to achiev is
    1. have a highpoly (with multiple subtools and polypainting for SubstancePainter)
    2 have a lowpoly based on highpoly (unwrapped in blender)
    3. Substance Painter: load lowpoly -> "Bake Mesh Maps" with "High Definition Mesh" selected from "1."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the LOWPOLY:
    GOB -> All (so they load all nicely in blender ready to retopo and unwrap)
    after that each mesh is getting a material (for substance painter)

For the HIGHPOLY:
    How do i export all the subtools with its polypaint so it has than the same position/size as LOWPOLY to bake correctly inside Painter?
    It seems when i merge down all subtools and export it as obj, the position/size is wrong again?

What step am i missing? Thanks in advance!