Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

'MUTE' Cactus Jeep

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
theonewhoknocks polycounter lvl 6
Been working on a new project to challenge myself and model the interior and exterior of a vehicle. This is a concept from the film MUTE. Concept art is by Benjamin Last. https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LzOJk. Im not going for an exact copy of the concept, but certainly using a lot of the ideas from it.

I still have some adjustments to make to some of the proportions but I like how its coming along so far. A lot of the smaller details I am more than likely going to add in Substance Painter. Let me know what you think of it so far, and if you notice anything that needs to be fixed. I rendered this with RedShift. It's my first time using it, so the renders aren't perfect, but just wanted to get some progress up and going.

Replies

• theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Bakes came out pretty clean. Still got some more adjustments to make.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Playing around with textures. Still have a bit more to do, especially with the interior of the vehicle

• MarcoAntonio
    Offline / Send Message
    MarcoAntonio polycounter lvl 6
    oh well!! Looks fine. However, you should have worked more on it at the start. The first picture for example is a great base mesh, but I see a lot of details missing. Besides, some shapes are different and the proportions are not right enough.

This is just my opinion, but I would recommend you to stop and return to the base mesh. Try to get all details first and make a high poly as close as possible to the reference. That reference is your final goal. You have to nail it.

Just keep the hard work.  You can do it! :smiley:

• theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Marco. I agree there is defintley a ton of detail in the concept image. There are few of these images on https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LzOJk . A lot of the ideas were barely sketched in so it was hard to tell overall what they are suppose to be. The vehicle is basically a Jeep Wrangler with some mods. So as I mainly used the Wrangler to build off of and then started going in and adding the details that I saw in the concept. I was also able to reference the film and get some of the details from there.

I'm going to keep adding some more details in Substance Painter and see how they translate over, if they don't look good then i'll model some additional details in. I think once I add in a few more tertiary details it will start to look better, like panels and such.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some changes to the tires. The ones that I had on there I felt were a little to simple. Trying to get the height on the treads to stick out a bit more but its difficult, unless I add more geo to the low poly tire. Still working on the interior. Its a slow burning process considering how much time I have to work on this everyday. Materials in some areas are still a work in progress.
  • theonewhoknocks
    Offline / Send Message
    Took awhile to finish this up because of time constraints, but I finally got to a place where I was content with it and now I'm ready to move on to the next project. Learned a lot doing this one. You can see more on my artstation here https://www.artstation.com/artwork/qAe082