Home Technical Talk

Is Sculptris Pro used in the Industry?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
goekbenjamin polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys (and girls :) )

Is Sculptris Pro used in the Industry-Workflow?
I mean, i can't see any disadvantages of not using it?
The only disadvantage i am aware of is:
-you can go straght to details which is totaly bad i guess
- you have no subdivision-levels

I can imagine the workflow would be something like:
- lowpoly basemeh with dynamesh activated
- raise the resolution until you are satisfied with the shape
- disable dynamesh and activate sculptris pro (instead of subdivide it)

What do you think?

Replies

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    why not?
    Just use everything that brings you up to speed. I use Dynamic Tesselation in Mudbox all the time for design sketches and blockout.
  • Amaury
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    I barely even use dynamesh in my daily workflow, so sculptris pro will stay in my toy box for now
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    @oglu just saw your Video "Zombi" on Artstation where you use Dynamic Tesselation, it is just great! Einfach Hammer! ;-D

@amaury so you banned dynamesh? :D 
    what does your ways to work with it look like? How do you keep yourself off to going to fast into details?
  • Amaury
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    @oglu just saw your Video "Zombi" on Artstation where you use Dynamic Tesselation, it is just great! Einfach Hammer! ;-D

@amaury so you banned dynamesh? :D 
    what does your ways to work with it look like? How do you keep yourself off to going to fast into details?
    I almost only work with subdiv levels
    The only times I find dynamesh really useful is when I'm drafting shoes shapes, then I extract leather panels with 0 thickness, zremesh them and extrude with zmodeler, or quickly making rough haircuts for visualisation purposes
    In a zbrush scene all my objects come from zremesher, manual retopo or polymodeled in max/maya, I just find it much cleaner to work with.
    Ideally I try to have the correct useable topo as a subd level 1 or 2

I'd use dynamesh for sketches, creatures or anatomy studies though but I rarely do that kind of work these days
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I've found Sculptris Pro to be useful for : 

Blocking out something where I'm not quite sure exactly how I want it. In other words, a quick concept. Once I get the concept how I like, then I retopo and go back to working in a regular subdivision levels workflow. If I already have a concept or am certain of what I'm going to do, I just do a regular block out, as that seems easier to me than retopo.

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Just like dynamesh, its good for blockout and possibly concepting.  But for actual final high poly, its not clean enough.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    Voxels are where it's at. As someone who used Mudbox, in it's early releases; Voxels are really a powerful tool.
  • goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    Voxels are where it's at. As someone who used Mudbox, in it's early releases; Voxels are really a powerful tool.
    What are Voxels? I googled, but i still cant find an answer :)
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    What are Voxels? I googled, but i still cant find an answer :)
    It's an alternative to polygons used in some software. I'm no expert on the details of it, but basically, instead of using surface geometry you have a cloud of points which gets rendered collectively as a single mass.
    It allows free-form manipulation without concern for topology or density, but makes it extremely hard to create fine details or maintain shape.
    When I tried it in 3D Coat, it was extremely easy to lose the silhouette by accident.
  • CreativeSheep
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    @Zack Maxwell
    Loose the silhouette by accident ? 
    You can convert from Voxels to Surface enabling one to increase the resolution or export to Mudbox / zBrush if desired.  Honestly 3D Coat is quite powerful.
  • myclay
    Online / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    Another disadvantage is, Sculptris Pro will significantly bloat the file sizes of Project (zbr) files so it might be better to save as Tool (ztl) files.

• goekbenjamin
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks alot for all the input, again.... learned something new ;)