Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Cyborg Character

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
flow754 polycounter lvl 2
Current State

Original Post
Hey all!
I'm currently working on a game character and I thought I might share the creation process here to get some feedback along the way :smile: . Here's my concept for reference:
Note that this was rather quickly photobashed together, my aim style-wise is to make him look as realistic as possible with a current gen triangle count and PBR textures.
I figured I'd combine this project with an anatomy study, so this is what the sculpt currently looks like.
At this point, I'm having a hard time finding flaws in the proportions and anatomy but I'm sure there are many. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You have big head small torso and long legs maybe try to balance this 3 first .Greater trochanter is mid point of the body so can use that as a guide
  • PeterK
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    I like the concept, And I agree with @carvuliero about the scaling. Consider dropping the divide level and work on the proportions a bit more before you detail up.
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Agree with above. Yours right now feels styliized with the somewhat enlarged head and limbs. 

Looking at the reference, mentally disrobing the guy (don't take that a weird way!), I see a pretty skinny dude. Probably a light musculature and low body fat.
  • flow754
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the really helpful advice! Here's where I'm at after trying to apply your suggestions.
    Comparing this to the original post, I can see how off the proportions were before. Probably still a lot of flaws in there, please do keep calling them out if you find any :smile:
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Why dont you use something like Loomis proportion chart to iron out some of construction problem you have ?
    Its simplified and easy to read , perfect for blocking out forms
    If you dont line Loomis there are RIcher ,Peck, Bammes and bunch more

• flow754
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again @carvuliero, that sheet was an awesome resource to have. This is what the sculpt looks like right now.
  • carvuliero
    Offline / Send Message
    Head looks to small for his body
    You have a lot of straight lines in the legs and front of the body try to replace them with S curve -> look for high/low points for example high point of the front of the thigh is more or less on the same level as gluteal fold
  • flow754
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, this time I increased the width and depth of the head so it feels more fitting. Also I worked on the silhouette to make it more curvy, especially in the leg and torso area. At this point I'm itching to bring the model over to Marvelous Designer and get started on the clothing. What do you guys think, are there any more issues you'd fix before continuing?

• flow754
    Offline / Send Message
    Big update! The character is now fully clothed and got his mechanical arm. Sadly I didn't get around to post as regularly as I wanted to, so here's a progress GIF of how I made the robot limb.
    It started with a basic blockout of the silhouette, then I sculpted the big shapes. The last step was manual retopology and a little hard-surface modelling.
    The clothes were made in MD, which I think is my new favorite 3D software, and are ready to be sculpted on after some touch up in Blender. Here's how the whole character looks as of now.
    Next up is retouching the jacket to make it look less wide as well as adding more fold detail and improving the head/face.