Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci fi moody girl

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
Hey. Working on a new character. The idea is to make this over the top a bit maniacal sci fi girl, bounty hunter.

So this is where it is right now:

I have sketched a pose:

And tried to pose her in Zbrush:

Some people tell me that this pose doesn't work well. You can help me by saying if it's true ;)

Also some face close up:

I'm going on for her to be in the middle of a shoot out. I want to add whizzing bullets and more bruises and cuts on her. That depends if this pose works at all.
Hearing your opinion would help me a lot.
Cheers.

Replies

• Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefmon polycounter lvl 7
    If she's falling backwards you could make her hair blowing forwards rather than backwards. If it's a dynamic still pose you could even throw her off balance, as if she's literally falling backwards. 
  • NikhilR
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Was this character sculpted from a reference?
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stefmon - hmmmm... Ok that's a solution. I don't feel that she is so out of balance... I mean I can make this pose and stand like that for a long time... It's not comfy but possible :P
    @NikhilR - No. I've got some reference for inspiration but I've made this one from scratch.

Ok I tried to sketch another pose:

It's based on this Tracer sketch by Kuvshinov-Ilya

• Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    The new pose is neat too! What I meant was that you can throw her off balance on purpose if you want to make her be in-motion.
    I didn't mean the first pose was off balance :) 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What about a pose where she's leaping into a position?  As in she's not stable on the ground.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stefmon - Oh I'm sorry... I read your response too quickly... I really like the idea of the hair blowing forwards. Have to think about that one ;)
    @Brian "Panda" Choi - Yeah that's what Stefmon suggested. I might try that.
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message

Looking for a way to make the chest area more interesting.

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Also done with baking. Then to texturing and rigging/posing. I don't bake hair at this point because I want to adapt hair to the pose (and I don't feel like making proper low poly and rigging it and stuff...). Also looking for a way to make final presentation more interesting.

• MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Working to make it better. Still a lot to do. Working on the textures, color palette, posing, hair, final presentation etc. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, neat progress! I think your lighting is making the character hard to see. The glowing background stands out too much I think. Instead, try giving it a three point light set up, with a warm orange, cold blue light and some kind of fill light. I suggest this because that's the set up I had for a sci-fi character I made.

Her hair obstructing the face also makes it harder to read her expression, and her as a character. You could move that very front strand out of the way, unless you make the hair super fancy and a focal point.

I think the colours of the outfit are cool. You could improve their surface texture by adding the differences of surface material between the colours and adding a seam detail. Check out wet suits and windbreaker jackets.
    You can do the seams in ZB a bunch of different ways. If you have polygroups you could use them to mask the border and inflate inwards. If not, you could make a modified stitch brush and, combined with morph targets, make a seam that only appears on one of the materials.

Regardless, those are the main things I can pick out: Lighting, the hair and the surface detail of materials. 
    Good work, keep goin'! 
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stefmon - Thank you. I jumped the gun with those images. Took a few steps back. When I'm tired of the texturing and stuff like that I experiment with presentation and lighting. The hair will go away when I change the pose (I want hair to match the pose).
    I've made the lighting simpler and fixed several things.

• Stefmon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo, lighting looks way better!
  • MrOneTwo
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I think I'm done with this one for now. Most important thing - I feel this character is better than the previous one I've made :)
    I might tweak some things in the future.

You can see more pics on my ArtStation.