Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elf Soldier WIP

SqueakyFloorboard
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
SqueakyFloorboard polycounter lvl 2
Hi, I have started to model a character using this concept by pig park https://bonsoup91.artstation.com/projects/k0m3y 
My goal for this project is to improve my artistic skills, I am capable of producing a game ready asset but I'm not happy with the overall quality of my work. 
Therefore I am modelling this character one piece at a time and spending much more time on it than I would usually, the idea is that each part of the character, the anatomy, the hair, the cloth and each individual asset will be a really nice piece of work on it's own, textures included.
Anyway, this post was about getting some critique on the helmet of the character. I think I'm happy with the high poly as it is so I thought it was time to get a new set of eyes on it. So what do people think?

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks like a decent start. I'd look into real ornate helmets to see how separate metals are integrated  into each other.  Right now, this is reading like it's all one hammered object.
  • SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. Ok, that sounds good, I'll look into real helmets.
  • SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    After following your advice I found a lot of ornate helmets had the patterns cut out of another piece of metal and fixed on top. This is what I have tried to recreate rather than sculpting it all from the same part, I think it's a big improvement.
  • jose.fuentes
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    I agree with Brian, start breaking up your helmet into different pieces, the second version you posted looks a lot better
  • SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah definitely, thanks! After looking at real life reference I'm starting to notice more and more. Looking at reference has always been my weak spot, I always just want to jump right in relying on the concept art for all the details. Next step is the lip around the edge that I've noticed on the real life helmets that seems to correlate to the difference in colour on the edge of the helmet in the concept.
  • SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the helmet, I've added the lip on the edge and refined a few of the scratches that were looking a bit shallow.
    Very pleased with how this is coming along, thanks guys! Such simple additions and it looks so much better!

• DarkLord3d
    Hey! Good progress on the helmet so far. I would definitely advise to build a rough blockout in zbrush of the full character first and then start breaking it down into pieces so that you can really get a feel for the overall proportions and shapes otherwise when you get everything done and start assembling it, you will notice that pieces dont fit together as well or arent the right shape or size! 
  • SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! 
    That makes sense, I'll do that, thanks.
  • SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    I have started to block out the body, I know it looks really weird right now but the character concept does have some extreme proportions. I haven't really touched the face yet, I'll probably move on to that next since it is currently far too realistic and looks too old which I think throws off the whole thing.

• Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    That is a guy with breasts. Not appealing. The face is definitely one of the culprits, but the muscles too. Women don't usually get sculpted. They tend to be softer in appearance even if they are more toned than their guy counterpart.
  • SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I know, I tend to overdo it with the muscles while I'm blocking in the shapes, I'll go through and smooth everything out at the end.
    I've dealt with the face now, I'm pretty happy with it, at least for now, but any critique would obviously be welcome.

• SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the current block of the character

I have also done some more work on the face, there were parts that were bugging me

• SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on my block

• SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on the gauntlets because the blockouts of them are hideous and I felt like they were distracting from the rest of the block.
    I noticed some sort of shield peeking out from behind the right arm but I'm not sure what exactly it should look like at the moment.
    I also started to texture the helmet. I'm happy with how it looks in substance painter at the moment but I haven't got the metalness to transfer over to marmoset yet.

• SqueakyFloorboard
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no update, I've been working on it here and there when I have the time, been super busy lately. Anyway the major changes are the gauntlets, chestplate and boots but I've also cleaned up a few other parts like the stockings and skirt. I started to texture the boots just for a bit of fun, but I also wanted to see how the bake would go on the low poly. Need a few tweaks here and there but I'm pretty happy. I've noticed that the details around the edges of the breastplate don't really read from far away so I'll be changing that a little too.