Home Career & Education

Are there 3D artist jobs in the East Coast (US)?

[account deleted at user's request]

Good morning
 artists from around the world :smile:
For some time now, I've been lurking in the shadows of this amazing website looking for posts about how to start one's journey into the 3D world, opinions about the industry and such. I thought it was about time I created an account here and posted topics of my own! :smiley:

A little background about me so you can understand my concern a bit better: I was born on an island on the Caribbean (latina background) and moved to the US (New Jersey) about 2 years ago (So I'm relatively new to the country still, though I believe I have adapted well). For a bit more than a couple of years now I have fallen in love with 3D Art, specifically Character/Creature Art and so I've been studying on my own for about 2 years (1 year I committed to learning anatomy well; and 1 year to learn Blender and how to sculpt nicely; my studies are still on-going) getting courses and tutorials online. I'm very passionate about art in any form (and love 3D), I learn really well on my own and I'm confident in my abilities to create [with time] a stunning portfolio. I'm not scared of all the amazing portfolios currently existing as I know for sure I can get there, and so they serve as a great inspiration to me! Also, I'm willing to shift job searching from Character to Props if need be.

A summary of the most important points [to me] that I learnt about the industry: the 3D industry is crowded by many people so it is not easy to get in specially if you are a newbie/junior; official education doesn't matter as long as you have an amazing portfolio; the majority of job openings are located in the West Coast (USA, CA) and Canada; you do have to network a lot in order to succeed.

NOW, the problem that is holding me back is the following... I wouldn't mind relocating to the West Coast if I get the opportunity to work there BUT I don't have the funds to do so, I have little to no way of relocating on my own (even if I saved cash, my earnings are not even close, that's why I want to become a professional as well of course! hahah. Asking family/friends for help is out of the question since they are in the same boat as me). The studios I've seen that help you relocate are mostly AAA which I doubt I'll be able to get in right from the start of my career (or so I've heard)...

SO, given all these... With as much honesty, no sugar-coating, and realism as you can... Do you believe there are enough job openings on the East Coast? At New York? At New Jersey? Around those states? Since the competition to get those jobs is so tight, will I get a chance to find one on this side of the US where jobs [I presume] are scarce? Is the Video game industry here non-existent or very tiny? Will that be a problem? I haven't even seen many jobs at 3D printing (if any) That is the only thing that is holding me back from continuing my studies, since I don't want to go freelance or sell my assets online. I truly want to get a job on the industry and grow there to a high position in a great studio, that's how much I love 3D. But if my chances are too slim due to living on this side to even get my foot on the door, I may even consider other Art areas or adapt to other possibilities or careers.

Thank you SO MUCH for your time reading this :smile: I appreciate any and all reply I get. Please feel free to correct me if my understanding in the industry is wrong. I am open to new ideas and solutions as well! I'm sorry this post got fat hahah, but I truly want an honest opinion since i feel so confused.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hard to say if there   are enough positions on the East Coast from what I've seen, but they are there at least.  The game industry is a little smaller than that on the West Coast, but not intensely so.  That might be a problem depending on several factors.

Have you thought about working a job that isn't about making game art?  At least initially?  A surprising number of entertainment professionals do that in LA when they move here.

Speaking of networking, I'd recommend looking into volunteering for Game Developers Conference.

• PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Montreal is one of the biggest gamedev hubs in the world, a few hours north of NYC. NY has a some studios in it and there are a few in halifax/nova scotia I believe.  use gamedevmap to find something that seems like a good fit, a quick glace and it looks like there are plent of options dotted all along the east coast :)

I would just focus on getting good enough where its a no brainer for any studio to pay for your relocation.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Yes, I have thought about entering something else than Video game, like 3D printing of some kind for example, but when I look up the job postings I can't find much on this side, therefore my question :no_mouth: I'll check out the game developers conferences though to see if that can help. Thank you!

@PixelMasher I will look into the Montreal studios (good idea!) as well as gamedevmap. Thank you :smile:
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I can't speak for the 3d industry, but in my experience applying for jobs online has got to be the hardest way to get one. Much, much better chances to get a job if you know somebody, or know somebody who knows somebody, and that's where networking comes in. Even if you're not an outgoing person, just remember that every person you meet and become friends with -- whether you expect they have any way to help you or not -- is a potential multiplier of, well, anything and everything. And people like helping people, because they are all trying to do the same thing. Its like, we evolved to actually help each other, contrary to what you might find in the news. 

Every decent job I've had was from somebody putting in a word about me to their boss. My wife got her current and best job just from talking to some people she knew at a totally unrelated job. When you only apply to jobs online, you're just a nothing that is very easy to dismiss. 

Not saying you shouldn't apply to far away places online, but I'd highly suggest trying to find some way to get in touch with people in the local area involved with the business in some way or another. And remember that any random person you are nice to and talk to might just be some recruiter/CEO/senior artist/junior artist friend, family, spouse, whatever. 
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    If you ever come to LA, mark me as someone who'd be willing to help.  There's a lot of ambient housing information and local knowledge that I like make sure transplants are aware of.
  • [Deleted User]
    @BIGTIMEMASTER Thank you for the advice, I will keep this in mind and search what kind of networking events are around my area to connect with more people :smile:

@Brian "Panda" Choi Thank you so much, Brian, that's very motivating to me! I'll certainly keep this in mind for the future :smiley:

• Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    There are game studios on the East Coast, but they are a bit more spread out than on the West Coast.  A couple in Boston, a couple in New York, a couple around DC, a few in North Carolina, and a couple in Florida. There are also a significant number of non-game 3d jobs; advertising in New York, and military simulation around DC.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Meloncov I had no idea, thank you so much for the info! :smile:
  • musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Why not post up some of your work so we might get a better idea of what stage you're at. If you even have half the passion that you've stated in your OP then relocating to follow that passion shouldn't be a problem at all.
  • Eric Chadwick
    We're in Boston and we're actively looking for entry-level 3D artists. It's not games, but it's modeling/materials/lighting/rendering/etc. We get a lot of graduates from game art degree programs, and they're pretty happy here even though it's not games. 
    https://jobs.jobvite.com/wayfair/job/onMY7fwY

Boston has a game development scene, though like anywhere you have to demonstrate you have talent.
    http://www.bostonpostmortem.org/jobboard/
    https://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?location=Boston

Plus there are other non-game uses for talented 3d artists. Medical, architectural, military, etc. 
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @Eric Chadwick

How strict is the bachelors degree requirement? Does your company offer any compensation for this internship? Does anyone get kept on after the 3 month period?
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi, @musashidan , though I haven't completed any work that could be used in a portfolio yet (since I still have much to learn :smile: ) here you can see some things I've done so far:

The first ever tutorial I followed on 3D (by Andrew Prince on youtube): https://ibb.co/f5vsxT
    Second attempt (experimenting with textures first time): https://ibb.co/iQmbP8
    Before getting courses on sculpting, I decided to experiment on my own first: https://ibb.co/gubAj8         https://ibb.co/erv348
    Sculpting by following Zacharias Reinhardt on Udemy: https://ibb.co/hQQQHT

Took me a considerable amount of time to finish the works above since I was completely new to Blender and the 3D modeling process and production of the assets, texturing, re-topology, rigging, lighting and whatnot. I didn't even know any of that existed! So I had much to learn before even trying my hand at those heh! My next stop after sculpting is re-topology and texturing. Lately, I felt like I was struggling to give my true 100% on these since I didn't know if I'd be able to even get job opportunities on this side, that's why I stopped sculpting for a couple weeks and decided to do some research on the topic before moving on. But after reading your comments I feel way more confident to continue! I really want to pursue this path! 

My goal [as of now] is to reach the awesome level of Yuefeng Jiang on Artstation: https://ibb.co/kB87go

@Eric Chadwick Thank you so much for the info! I will certainly look into it once I can produce a portfolio :smiley:

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Well, just keep practicing. Especially anatomy. You have a long way to go before you have to worry about employment as a character artist.
    I appreciate your passion. Hopefully you maintain it through the never-ending journey that is 3D art. If you truly love this medium then sitting at the computer for 20 hours straight should feel like there are never enough hours in the day......
  • [Deleted User]
    @musashidan Thank you so much for the feedback! :smiley: Yes, I don't even want to prepare lunch sometimes, I'd rather have a quick snack to get back to work :sweat:
  • Meloncov
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Also, because no one has posted this yet: https://www.gamedevmap.com/
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    You should at least get an artstation going so people can know your work.  You're still a bit of a ways, but it'll help people in the future know where you're coming from.
  • Eric Chadwick
    @Eric Chadwick

How strict is the bachelors degree requirement? Does your company offer any compensation for this internship? Does anyone get kept on after the 3 month period?
    Not super strict. It's a full-time paid position. At 3 months we decide whether you're hitting goals or not. It's been about a 90% success rate so far.

We hire people at the start with the expectation/ hope that we'll be able to keep them, and spend the time training & mentoring to get there.
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @Eric Chadwick
    Thanks, Eric. Appreciate you sharing this info. Any tips on life in Boston?  ;)

• [Deleted User]
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Thank you for the tip! I already have an account there but I'll definitely start posting there on a regular basis :smile:
  • Taylor Brown
    Offline / Send Message
    Taylor Brown ngon master
    @ OP my only advice is to stick with this community, it's a well of knowledge and everyone ive interacted with has been fantastic. Id also recommend looking into Dinusty and his discord community. Another awesome group of folks who push each other hard
  • [Deleted User]
    @Taylor Brown Thank you so much! I didn't know about Dinusty, I'll look into it soon to get motivation from there as well :smile:
  • Eric Chadwick
    @Eric Chadwick
    Thanks, Eric. Appreciate you sharing this info. Any tips on life in Boston?  ;)

I like it here. Been here 17 years, used to be in San Francisco, and grew up in CA. 

You gotta love the seasons though, each one is short.

Cost of living is fairly high because there's a large student population. But that means more rental options, and more nightlife/ extracurriculars.

We have free beer at Wayfair, so that's something. About 9 kegs to choose from, plus 3 kegs hard cider. Hard working, hard playing crew!