Home General Discussion

Microsoft Explains Why it Isn’t Releasing Xbox One Sales Numbers Anymore

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
littleclaude quad damage
Microsoft Explains Why it Isn’t Releasing Xbox One Sales Numbers Anymore - http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/xbox-one-sales-1202796674/

Got to say am looking really looking forward to this years E3 and seeing what Microsoft has been up to this year as last year they said "Microsoft will open lots of new game studios or acquire them"  - Bloomberg  Nov, 2017.

This is a great time if you are an Indie

It shows you how important studios like Naughty Dog can be at producing amazing new content for Sony's console. Got to say Sony are amazing at spotting new talented studios like Media Molecule and helping fund them from the grass roots into what they are today, it will be interesting to see what Microsoft have been up to, fingers crossed for some great new original titles.

Replies

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Nice move Microsoft as it acquires Ninja Theory, Undead Labs, Playground Games and more, some great studios in that line up.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/06/10/microsoft-has-acquired-ninja-theory-undead-labs-and-playground-games/#cf68e41277c0

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    how many times has a big studio bought out smaller studios the closed them after a year or two. not that great for games if you ask me
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    If you're going to put a question as the title of a thread, it's a decent choice to write the answer to that question directly on your post (quoted from the website), instead of only a link to the external site. Example:

Reached for comment this week, Microsoft reiterated that it still doesn’t share the number of Xbox One sold, but this time explained why, noting that it’s using a different “key metric for success.”

“We are continuing to look at engagement as our key metric for success and are no longer reporting on total console sales,” a spokesperson told Variety. “During Microsoft’s FY18 Q3 earnings, we announced that gaming revenue grew 18% year-over-year, driven by Xbox software and services revenue growth of 24%, and Xbox Live monthly active users grew 1% year-over-year to 59 million. We continue to see strong growth with time spent on Xbox Live, and look forward to bringing more unprecedented experiences on Xbox One, Windows 10 PC and mobile.”

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Those are just PR answers anyways... obviously it's because they've performed poorly compared to Sony, and they don't want investors seeing low numbers. The thing is, if Sony stays on the path they're on now, people will shift back to XBox, in the next generation, which I suspect we'll see announced next year. Wanna bet that MS starts showing their numbers again, if that shift happens?

Ruz said:
    how many times has a big studio bought out smaller studios the closed them after a year or two. not that great for games if you ask me
    I agree... Playground was already doing exclusive titles for MS, so that purchase makes sense, but this seemed to be a way to buy up exclusivity.

Aside from the typical practice of devouring these studios, I'm not a fan of console companies buying up game studios. I think exclusivities hurt gamers, and if MS or Sony owns them, there's no chance they'll ever make a game for competing systems. Obviously the console companies are doing it to sell their systems, but I'm done with having multiple systems in my house.

No to mention, it hurts the studio, if they have a paid exclusive, and then the system doesn't sell well. While I don't like 'one year' exclusives, at least that offers a compromise, where the studio can later off the game to other systems. So in this generation, if you made a game for the XBox, you probably still did fine, but imagine the money that they would have made, if they could have sold on the PS too
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Uhh... no?

Paid exclusivity didn't hurt our studio at all on Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Infact Microsoft paid for the entire development, including all tools and engine development and updates to our pipelines and free dev kits and free XB1 for all staff.

It hurt Microsoft way more than it hurt us.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Uhh... no?

Paid exclusivity didn't hurt our studio at all on Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Infact Microsoft paid for the entire development, including all tools and engine development and updates to our pipelines and free dev kits and free XB1 for all staff.

It hurt Microsoft way more than it hurt us.
    How much money was made, when it opened up to the PS4? I do get it though, if they compensated enough, to offset PS4 sales, then I could understand the benefits