Home General Discussion

First game ever played?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Larry interpolator
Hello guys! Today i ran across one of the first games i played and had alot of emotions coming back to me.... It was Krush kill 'N Destroy... Lol i loved those mutant scorpion-tanks, i just built those...Has anyone played it? (i played some other games on amstrad with floppy disks but real emotions happened with 3d games for me... "so realistic" )

What was the first game you played that you also miss? I'd like to hear your experiences :)

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    the first game i can recall playing was donkey kong on coleco vision, first one that i really loved was wolfenstein on my ibm 386
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    200 game NES Cartridge.  My jam was Super Mario Bros.

My mum's was Tetris.

We only had one NES.  Immigrant family and w/e else we had on our plate.

Broad think she could stop my Mario time.  Anyways, who thought floating bricks with this weird Russian music was any fun?
  • PolyHertz
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Don't know. I do recall playing the original Metroid on NES in a daycare (maybe 3 years old?), but I very well may have played something before that seeing as my memory from when I was that young is hazy at best.
  • Darth Tomi
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Space Invaders for the arcade.
  • DeltaHexagon
    Offline / Send Message
    DeltaHexagon polycounter lvl 4
    I don't know which was the absolute first but there's a few that definitely got me into gaming on a whole. The old NES Mario Bros. with Duck Hunt was definitely one of them, along with some Sonic games and this one super old PC game called Nanasaurus or something? And you played a dinosaur gathering eggs it was surreal but I have such vivid memories of it.
  • SenSayNyu
    Offline / Send Message
    SenSayNyu polycounter lvl 10
    Digger. Tetris and Prince of Persia after that. Man, I'm old...
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Super Mario on the NES coupled with the Duck Hunt.
    Also the original Legend of Zelda.
    My dad had an NES  before I was born.

My first RPG was Mario RPG though.
    Pretty cool game if I say so myself. 
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Atari's Pong circa: 1977, I think if memory serves on it's own two knob 'console'. 
  • Andreicus
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreicus polycounter lvl 6
    Atlantis The Lost Empire: Trial by Fire i think...ah shit, good times
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hmm Im not sure might be something like commander keen by Apogee or california games by Epyx on pc! hahaha those graphics now are so oldschool.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Commodore Tennis - basically a Pong clone for the VIC20 ...but I'm not really missing it. I do miss the simplicity and innocence of the time though. No achievements, no meta-game, no DLC, no transactions, no monetization, no forums, no social-media-whatever intergration, no distractions, (and no bug fixes).
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I remember playing lots of games early on, or watching my brothers play them. Including: Mario, Megaman, Donkey Kong Country, Sonic, Worms (or whatever it was. PC Game), DOOM, Mortal Kombat

Truth is, I didn't play many games until the first Pokemon games came out in the US. And after that, I remember playing Twisted Metal, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (my favorite game ever), roller coaster tycoon, etc.

But, I think Pokemon Blue was the first that I really "got", and stuck with. So I'll say that. But I have no idea what my true "first game played" would have been.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    I haven't played a game yet.
  • polygonboi
    probably mario or some other game on my dad's nes when i was a little kid

• throttlekitty
    I think it was Clowns & Balloons on a Tandy CoCo.
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    TMNT on the NES, Man that game was hard. 
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    Some weird wrestling game on the NES
    Yup.

• Biomag
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I am not sure, but I think the first time I played a video game was 'Escape from Singe's Castle' on a C64 when I was 4 or 5.
  • .Wiki
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Could have been the first railroad tycoon on the amiga 500. I was addicted to trains when i was a small child :)

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Born in 1990, and pretty sure we had a computer before we got an NES. Probably some early DOS game, likely Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, King's Quest, SimAnt, or a kids game. 

• X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Number Munchers has to be one of the first. Loved the game as a kid. Best part if my school day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brvLpircQe4
  • wirrexx
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    Either Wolfenstein on ibm 386 , Prince of persia or Duckhunt NES

• Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Prince of persia, dune 2, doom.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    think it was a pong clone back in about 1978 ish. i was pretty lousy at it. Might even have been 'invicta mastermind' if you can count that as a proper game
  • thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    first ever tried was probably moon patrol on a friend's family PC - running on beautiful CGA graphics.

first game i actually played was pitstop 2 on my C64.

somehow i still remember how the packaging smelled. is that weird?

• Lt_Commander
    Offline / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I remember playing Doom on my dad's lap on PC, and the old Lucasarts adventure games with my Uncle.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    thomasp said:
    first ever tried was probably moon patrol on a friend's family PC - running on beautiful CGA graphics.

first game i actually played was pitstop 2 on my C64.

somehow i still remember how the packaging smelled. is that weird?

Good times! Also one of my first games on the C64
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I remember playing Doom on my dad's lap on PC, and the old Lucasarts adventure games with my Uncle.
    Doom was my first game too, I remember playing with my brother - one was shooting and another was moving haha. One time I was left alone and it was extremely realistic and scary with all the monsters - textures and everything looked photoreal!
  • Alex_J
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Doom, and I was scared to play it alone.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    ketchup factory, a gdr made ascii game where you only press one button. you are the controller on a conveyor belt kicking out empty ketchup bottles. the whole thing gets faster and faster and the patterns in which theempty bottles come in become more and more chaotic.

oh yeah it was black and white and i played it on some robotron machine that was state of the art back then.
  • Eric Chadwick
    +1 for the masochism :D
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range

Optimus said:
    Don't remember but it was a pixelated pinball game on a windows xp system me and my sis shared. The best game i played in the day' was club penguin, i remember me and my sis would fight on who would play next, (she always dominated the game never really shared.) Don't forget solitaire!
    Was it Space Cadet?

• Alchemical
    Offline / Send Message
    Alchemical polycounter lvl 6
    Mario Kart 64 and DOOM I think. I would have been something like 4-5 years old at the time.
  • isshak
    Offline / Send Message
    isshak polycounter lvl 7
    I can remember when I was 4 years old when I and my older brother played Super Mario Bros on the Atari for the first time I can remember how hard it was for me and how he was playing most of the time and I was just watching lol, I really miss those moments 
  • Nordhal
    Offline / Send Message
    Nordhal null
    My first game was Prince Of Persia, and I played it with my brother for a long time. I remember again when my father, before going to work, wrote us the letter keys we have to press to play the game : "CD PRINCE, ENTER, PRINCE.EXE"
    Wonderful time 
  • spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 14
    That would be some Pong-only TV game console at jmy friends home back in around 1980 ....
    Essentially only two controllers hooked up to the TV set ...
    Soon after that he  got a Philips G7000 ( Magnavox Odyssey 2 in the US ) ... man was i jealous...

• Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    My parent bought a Binatone MK10 (1977) I was born 1976 so probably played this as soon as I was able. Games were pong clones and sports variants. Had it for years. Wish I still had it.... Might pick one up on ebay now you've reminded me...

First proper family computer was an Acorn Electron (1983)

Some of the first games we had were:
    Snapper (Pacman clone)
    Repton 3
    Chuckie Egg
    Stock Car racing
    Sphynx adventure
    Starship Command
    etc

But mostly we had to copy 100s of lines of code from magazine and hope that you'd be able to save it to tape or at least run the game for a 30mins. How gaming has changed...
  • spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh - yes the Acorn .... I got myself a ZX Spectrum from my first holiday job money, about arround 83/84. Long after my friends got one: my parents simply could'nt effort this expense, after they already sent me to technical college ( including required boarding home rent) in 1982,
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
  • Noors
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Does Oil Panic count ?  Born in 1984, it would be unoriginally super mario/duck hunt on NES, in 1988 i guess. Parents bought it on credit. Good fellows. Strongest NES memories is The Battle of Olympus tho. You have to check its soundtrack and the 8bit Toccata and Fugue when you kneel before greek Gods. Ah glorious days. But the real magic and now nostalgia happened with the SNES, the best gaming system of all time.

• Hito
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Stinger88 said:
    My parent bought a Binatone MK10 (1977) I was born 1976 so probably played this as soon as I was able. Games were pong clones and sports variants. Had it for years. Wish I still had it.... Might pick one up on ebay now you've reminded me...

I've been wracking my brain trying to remember what that thing was called for some time now. 

Time for an ebay session I think.... 

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    For me it was BMX Number Jump. We got a C64 one xmas. I'm sure we went without heating that winter to pay for it.......but man was it worth it to see that 20 pixel black sprite move jerkily across our 14" B&W telly every time we typed in the answer to the next exciting 'mathematical puzzle'.

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Stinger88 said:

But mostly we had to copy 100s of lines of code from magazine and hope that you'd be able to save it to tape or at least run the game for a 30mins. How gaming has changed...
    F%%k me, mate! I thought I was the only one sad enough to have done that. I remember one day I had off school I spent hours and hours typing out of a mag. The glossy 2-page spread showed a huge tank crashing over an embankment, cannon blazing. The feature in the mag promised an exciting simulation............hours and hours of pecking away and countless syntax errors later.....the moment of truth.....'Hit spacebar to continue'.......I've never been more disappointed in my young life. It was at that moment that I decided that perhaps programming wasn't for me. Graphics art was the future.

I was also to realise at that tender age that CG magazines never quite live up to their own billing, and I believe that was a lesson well learned that fateful day.....
  • throttlekitty
    Stinger88 said:

F%%k me, mate! I thought I was the only one sad enough to have done that. I remember one day I had off school I spent hours and hours typing out of a mag. The glossy 2-page spread showed a huge tank crashing over an embankment, cannon blazing. The feature in the mag promised an exciting simulation............hours and hours of pecking away and countless syntax errors later.....the moment of truth.....'Hit spacebar to continue'.......I've never been more disappointed in my young life. It was at that moment that I decided that perhaps programming wasn't for me. Graphics art was the future.

I was also to realise at that tender age that CG magazines never quite live up to their own billing, and I believe that was a lesson well learned that fateful day.....
    Maaaan. I had forgotten all about doing that! I might have to check into a ward now that I'm remembering.
  • Spag_Eddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Spag_Eddy greentooth
    Super Mario Bros.

Sometime around 1988 or so, I would have been probably 6 at the time. I had a friend a couple of blocks away whose family owned a Nintendo, he was the only friend I knew who had one, and every time I went over and walked through the front door, my friend would be playing Super Mario Bros. on the (then) big screen tube tv, and I would obviously be clamoring to partake in the fun. I have very distinct memories of it and get very unique and nostalgic feelings/emotions whenever I think about it. It was a feeling of magic that I have never been able to replicate since. 

Eventually I convinced my parents to get me a Nintendo for Christmas, and thus began my lifelong love for gaming.  But I will always hold a very special place in my heart for Super Mario Bros.
  • spacefrog
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 said:

Yeah ... did the same each weekend when i met with my friend who owned a ZX Spectrum already. Was a great teamwork training, one reading the hex value column after hex value column out loud ( i think each line was followed by a checksum value ) and the other one typing the numbers in. And then another game came to existence, and hopefully was great and saved to tape before anything bad happend. Like power failure or something ...

• RyanB
    Galaxian in the hallway outside of a Kmart.   I was annoyed when they replaced it with Joust.

• ryansizemore
    Too young to remember exactly, but it was either Pac Man arcade at my grandfather's pharmacy or Super Mario Bros. 3 on my NES that I got when I was 2.