Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New Quixel & Unreal 4 Sci Fi Scene

null
Hello all:) I've just finished a scene I have been slowly chipping away at for the last year.

It's based on a concept image by Eric Gagnon (Gryphart). The image can be found here .

I only really had a few hours a week to add progress so it was a strange development process. I started this in New Zealand whilst working full -time on Path Of Exile, then moved to Sweden about 4 months ago to work for Starbreeze in Stockholm all the time slowly adding bit of progress where I could. Work commitments, multiple international relocation's and having a very active 6 year old son made this an extremely arduous project to finish. I have learnt that when deciding on a personal project you should always have more perspective of the time you have to spend on it. Also to have a better understanding of how to make an environment look big, epic, full etc by using scale, trickery, silhouette and composition over fine attention to detail.

I did have a shit ton of fun putting this together and I learnt so much that is was definitely a very constructive time sync.

Thanks for checking this out and for all the inspiration, check my website out  http://www.garthwtravis.com/  if you're interested in more images and asset renders for the scene. 

♥♥♥

Replies

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
    I think a job at foundry42 is safe for you ;)
  • _gardyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _gardyan_ null
    Optimus said:
    Lookin great, the cord materials could use some love, they are more metal than cord. Can you upload a wireframe shot? I am a topology junkie.
    Thanks man, I appreciate the comment. Some of the cords are actually metal:P Some are rubber:) As far as wire frames are concerned, I probably wont get around to showing any shots cos tbh, I've wiped my hands clean of this project, it was a beast to finish in the small fractions of time I got to do it. Unreal was green as far as tri density was concerned. I might do a couple wire frames of assets though, if i get bored, I'll let you know if it happens. Cheers again.
  • _gardyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _gardyan_ null
    Gazu said:
    I think a job at foundry42 is safe for you ;)
    Ha cheers man. I think I applied there a few days before I got the job at Starbreeze. Would of been good though:P 
  • Max_Kutsenko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max_Kutsenko triangle
    Looks really good, I love those displaced hexagon rubber tiles on the floor and the roughness of the materials is fantastic. Great job.
  • _gardyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _gardyan_ null
    Looks really good, I love those displaced hexagon rubber tiles on the floor and the roughness of the materials is fantastic. Great job.
    Cheers m8. those hex mats went in on the last day, I had some other rectangular mats that just weren't doin it for me so these were last minute. Just made the tiled texture in Ndo2 to be quick. Works I guess:P Cheers again
  • aclund3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Those hex mats are a pretty good late addition for sure :)  Kind of work to solve the issue of the classic sci-fi un-distinguishable floor.  Like, as a player, where can I actually walk here?  Really nice work overall!
  • _gardyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _gardyan_ null
    aclund3 said:
    Those hex mats are a pretty good late addition for sure :)  Kind of work to solve the issue of the classic sci-fi un-distinguishable floor.  Like, as a player, where can I actually walk here?  Really nice work overall!
    thanks m8. yeah i did have trouble composing the floor. needed to be clean but not boring so was a bit of a challenge.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The modelling and texturing looks great.

But man, that's a tired concept. It's been floating around for forever, and to me, is just that generic scifi hallway that I've seen a million times. 

And I know it's no fault of your own, or even the original artist (2011 was a different time), I just think the design has become a cliche, and for a long time, the game art community was absolutely saturated with scifi hallways; many based on this very concept.

Again, good job with the modelling and texturing. It's definitely one of the better sci-fi hallways I've seen. I just thought I should point it out.
  • _gardyan_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _gardyan_ null
    Joopson said:
    The modelling and texturing looks great.

But man, that's a tired concept. It's been floating around for forever, and to me, is just that generic scifi hallway that I've seen a million times. 

And I know it's no fault of your own, or even the original artist (2011 was a different time), I just think the design has become a cliche, and for a long time, the game art community was absolutely saturated with scifi hallways; many based on this very concept.

Again, good job with the modelling and texturing. It's definitely one of the better sci-fi hallways I've seen. I just thought I should point it
    out.

Glad you like it Joopson:)
    As for the concept preference, that is purely subjective and I appreciate everyone's choice in this regard:) Art has the same traditional basics regardless of how tired it is. There's depth to the composition of that concept that intrigued me and i knew it wasn't perfect so decided to tackle it and add what I thought were improvements as a personal challenge. It was the point of doing it from that concept image:) I explain this on my website.

Thanks again, I appreciate the interest