Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

MOBA character feedback thread

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Rmunday polycounter lvl 9
So I don't clutter up the thread I am taking part in the art jam to bring an existing character into a MOBA setting to pay homage to the amazing animation style in games such as League of Legends.

I will post WIP shots here as I go to make these animations as awesome as I can, my confidence level is pretty low, living up to the super high quality animation that Riot games is known for is nothing short of impossible at my skill level but I am excited to learn and hopefully take away a couple of awesome portfolio pieces.

Below you can find my copy/pasted ideas

|Nemesis champion|

Bio: After destroying Racoon city and unleashing countless abominations on the people of the world Umbrella reached their ultimate goal. They had figured out how to move matter across other planes of existence. Although this tech was still experimental and were not willing to risk the lives of their greatest scientists, there is a being they could risk. He had proven himself and killed many Stars members before succumbing to defeat, with the DNA still available it was time to make Nemesis 2.0. With that Nemesis was created again and sent through the void to discover, if anything what was on the other side. Using his bio sensors to feedback data to Umbrella labs he entered an entirely  new world where everyone was now a hostile.

Standard:

[Idle]: Wide stance, heavy breathing standing strong and firm
[Idle Break]: Rage induced stomp and roar (subject to rigging the mouth up nice)
[Look around]: Methodical scanning of the area, sharp looks with longer holds
[Run]: Nemesis doesn't run, a slow heavy walk with strong exaggerated chest/arm movement
[Death]: Grasping head as the Bio-mechanics in his head malfunction with one final roar of pain falls to the ground with a thud
[Auto attack]: One, two punch with heavy final kick (Small knockback)
[Recall: Small look down like he is listening to someone, small nod to confirm followed by a large leap into the air offscreen.
[Recall landing]: Large land onto his knees with a steady stand up (Super hero landing yay)
[Emote]: Pull out the dead body of Jill Valentine from... somewhere. Hold her up by the throat study her closely for a brief moment before throwing her body to the side where it sinks into the ground.

Abilities:

[Leap]: Similar to recall, leaps up into the air and lands on screen elsewhere for swift movement to cut enemies off
[Rocket fire]: Fire a volley of 3 rockets into the air on a targeted location dealing AOE damage.
[Rage punch] : Nemesis charges up a punch which then propels him forward towards the enemy
[ULT]: Grab combo, grab enemy by the head/face then repeatedly slam 2 times before throwing the enemy up, leap then a slam back down into the ground

Here are two animations that I have done so far so as always feedback is appreciated!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/202f404e2f98/

Replies

• Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with an Auto attack, any feedback to push this to be better is greatly appreciated along with the others!

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/202f404e2f98/#403892

• BoonS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoonS polycounter lvl 7
    Here are my thoughts on the WIP, they're more a basic analysis of what your animations are saying (to help with any tunnel vision) than a judgement of quality, but hopefully they're still constructive.

Idle Anim: The unbalanced rhythm between the arms and the body gives a good unhinged demeanor. It's subtle, but I'd be careful of bending the hands too "upward" though, which can connotate a childishness or immature unrest. i.e.

Look Anim: The arms dragging behind is good for weight emphasis, but at the sacrifice of emphasizing controlled power. I'd advise being ready to reduce the swinging if it ultimately looks better, especially how the right arm jolts up a bit when nemesis turns to the right.

AutoA Anim: I'm personally limted to understanding the animation structure needed for LoL, but I can see some general areas for improvement.
    punch - There's room to emphasize the 'C' part of the ABCA attack pattern/ the follow through of the punch. I understand that leaving it unstylized can be narrative intention in itself, but adding something to avoid a linear chest rotation could really add some flavor to it. As to what, I'm not sure... but you probably understand Nemesis better than me.

uppercut - I'd advise the target of the left arm nudged closer to the centre of gravity of Nemesis than to the far left. I don't think that would compromise the stiffness of Nemesis if done right and it'll make the animation flow more naturally.

kick - If there is room for improvement I'm too limited to think of any. I think it connotates the nature of Nemesis as it should and I assume it fits with the gameplay timing of Lol.

Also a minor thing, if you have PS (and GIMP might also work) at the ready you can clip and crop your videos files. I understand this is WIP but seeing the models enlarged and looping a bit better can help with feedback. That's all I can think of, good luck.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man that is helpful feedback! Mostly positive which makes me feel more confident moving forward.

I will definitely look into applying the feedback and see what results come from it. 

Thanks so much. 
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man that is helpful feedback! Mostly positive which makes me feel more confident moving forward.

I will definitely look into applying the feedback and see what results come from it. 

Thanks so much. 
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with a walk cycle for him, been a bit quiet but while I search for more work but progress is progress. As always feedback is appreciated!

• LloydHallam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LloydHallam polycounter lvl 8
    Rmunday said:
    Back with a walk cycle for him, been a bit quiet but while I search for more work but progress is progress. As always feedback is appreciated!

I like it! But it seems very casual in a way. Perhaps increase his gate and bend him over a little bit. Give him a sense of purpose, a character like Nemesis should walk with a sort of "I'm coming for you!" angry vibe.
  • Rmunday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LloydHallam thanks very much for that, I have give him more of a purposful stride, while also speeding a few parts up overall. Much better!

Also in with the "Idle break" started!