Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon Bath, Concept by Peter Straubel

NinjaSocks
keyframe
Offline / Send Message
NinjaSocks keyframe
I wanted to try hyper realistic skin textures on something but still have a stylised sculpt so I decided to go for this demon character I found on instagram. The concept is by peter straubel

here is where it's at right now (BPR render), did something different with the hair just cos i wanted to play around with new ideas..

Retopo done! would love to hear if i messed up in areas, really tried to get good edge loops which make sense for animation..

UV and substance up next!

Replies

• NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    Hi thanks for taking the time! Everything you said make sense, i'll probably redo the hair with proper haircards and the other stuff are small tweaks :) the objective was more about practicing workflow and pipeline rather than exact replica.. although I was aiming at getting it pretty close to the concept art so thanks again! 
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I agree with Optimus that the hair looks like spagetti. The reason it looks like that, is because every strand is doing its own thing. Instead, you will want to try and clump strands together into bigger locks of hair. You will also want to make sure that these bigger locks are of different sizes: some thick ones, some medium ones, some thin ones.

And then the trickiest part is to come up with a nice flow design for these clumps of hair: which one is passing over which? How does one clump of hair disappear under another, only to re-emerge from the mass of hair further down?
  • NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    @Wendy de Boer Thanks for your input, I I found a couple of really good tutorials which explain what you are taking about. I'm not sure if i want to go for a sculpted look for the hair or if I should go for hair cards on this one.. would love to hear your choice between the two options as I'm trying to show skill diversity in my portfolio and I have other projects which use haircards.. Thanks again!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Optimus
    Hair cards are not faster than physical hair geo at this time.

I'd argue for using clumped volumes of flowing hair geo, unless you're down to finesse out an Ornatrix solution, or fibermesh, etc.
  • NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    @Optimus @Brian "Panda" Choi Thanks both of you i think i'll go with your advice and redo the hair as geo :)
  • NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    @Optimus
    @Wendy de Boer
    Finally got back to redoing the hair as geo on this one, gonna polish it up tomorrow. I feel like it's a big improvement compared to the previous version but i would love to know what you think :) kept looking at lots of overwatch characters hair while i did this version but man those guys at blizzard are next level (I feel like they are able to keep it so much simpler yet still nail the look).
  • NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    So this is what the new polished hair looks like, I'm pleased with the result so far. Not sure what it's gonna look like after texturing cos I really wanted to try out realistic skin on a stylized character but i'm not sure it's gonna look strange with the geo hair look.. suggestions are always welcome :)

• NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    Finally rendered out this project, would love to your thoughts on what could be improved. Thanks!
  • Aluni
    Offline / Send Message
    Aluni node

This looks really awesome! The only thing I can see is that the eyebrows and eye lashes is a bit "clean". The eyebrow kind of cuts through the paint/tattoo on her face. I'm just a beginner, but that was my first reaction.

But this is really nice work :)

• NinjaSocks
    Offline / Send Message
    NinjaSocks keyframe
    @Aluni yes I also think that the eyebrows and lashes have clashed in style with the rest of of it. Thanks for your input it helps to confirm my own opinions.