Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Dr. Henry Jefferson - Wild West 2018

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
Hi guys, I'm participating in Wild West competition and since more feedback is always welcome, I'm also going to share my progress with you.
Hope you don't mind, and you'll find my work interesting :)

Here's link to my artstation and you can find concept art right underneath it.
https://www.artstation.com/contests/wild-west/challenges/43/submissions/26312

Replies

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    and foloowing the topic, here's the latest update. I'm still at the stage of blocking everything out.
  • Square_Triangle
    Several things pop out. Trouser wrinkles don't look natural, the square cut at the front-bottom of the jacket/lining needs tweaking. The ref is wearing a kerchief tie. Compare the left side of the jacket to the right. Ref image appears to be wearing gloves. Ref has spectacles and what appears to be small epaulettes on the jacket.
  • Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Several things pop out. Trouser wrinkles don't look natural, the square cut at the front-bottom of the jacket/lining needs tweaking. The ref is wearing a kerchief tie. Compare the left side of the jacket to the right. Ref image appears to be wearing gloves. Ref has spectacles and what appears to be small epaulettes on the jacket.
    Spectacles, gloves and bootsare things that i'm going to add next, for initial stage they are not priority.
    I've completely removed the coat and i'm planning to remake nait as current result makes me unhappy.
    Spectacles will be added later as it's just an accessory>
    About the difference on each side. It's physically impossible to create it while retaining any logical sense for the coat itself. I've decided to interpret that the coat consists of two overlapping layers which are symmetrical on each side but hidden behind the bag.

As for folds on trousers, i'm going to remake them, atm they imitate way too thick material.

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Seriously wish i had more time to work on stuff than i do lately... 
    Update for tonight, removed coat, removed trousers. They look bad and aren't properly matching the concept art. 
    Created some details on the vest, only in the middle as the outer areas won't be shown so it's waste of work time.
    I'm going to work on his face tomorrow.

• quakeshock
    For starters his hands are really tiny. The proportions should be worked out first. :)
  • Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you quake, for this update i increase the size of hands and i think it looks better, well spotted.

In the end i've decided to not remove coat and trousers but instead i'm going to work from it. I've smoothed and remade most of folds so they make more sense. Also made vest look like it's from thinner material.
    Added some face details, i'm still unsure whether i want to sculpt all details and pores in Zbrush or take rather good base mesh and add all these details later in Substance Painter.
    Also added spectacles to better understand the face and i think i've gotten rather close to the concept art

One thing i'd like to take input on, character on concept looks like it's in his 40s right? On concept art skin looks rather somooth excet for forehead, so i guess it's this 35-45 age. That's something i'll have to work harder to match.

Next thing round, will be working on forms and elements for coat, and blocking out boots.
  • Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Focused on sculpting boots and somewhat fixing trousers.

For a break decided to make syringe... quite honestly, fell in love with it. It's highpoly

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Ran first texture apss on syringe, it's 3780 tris

• Aydhe
  • Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Getting to the point where i don't really know how to push sculpt further. Will probably spend 2 more days on it detailing trims and seams of clothes, then move onto retopology. Don't want to add too many details in Zbrush because Substance allows for more flexibilitity, in terms of things like stiches, fabric definition and so on.

Of course, C&C more than welcome :smile:

Feeling absolutely no love for this project... it literally feels like a chore :| I hope texturing will be more fun
  • Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Hi everyone, to all of you who wondered what happened to dr jefferson, did he die... well, he's a live... somehow!

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Spent today on texturing head, first time ever i'm satisfied with my skin texture. While not perfect, it's massive step-up from my previous attempts

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    I've decided to push his face texture further and attempt to render him in unreal engine.
    As for the clothes, I believe I reached cap of what i can do at my current level,personal assumption is that i messed up during the sculpt as i skipped on sculpting details, hoping that I will be able to make up for it in Substance Painter... Well, clearly couldn't make it work. In my next character i'm going to spend more time and effort on detailing the sculpt, before i move onto texturing stage.

While i believe it is still my best character to date, i ruined my chance to make 'killer piece' simply by not putting in enough effort during early stage. Now i know that while i can create microdetails such as stiching, damage and so on. All structural and organic details must be sculpted beforehand.

• Aydhe
    Offline / Send Message
    Aydhe polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry guys but I have decided to withdraw out of Artstation contest. While making this character I have tried to approach new workflow which was based less around zbrush and more about substance designer, but in this whole rush I've ruined sculpt in more than one way and it prevents me from making this character look good enough as the primary shapes are wrong... ugly... not interesting... plain, in general just bad.

Fixing it would require my character to be basically remade again from scratch, however at this point I would not be able to make deadline and I really don't feel strong enough connection with the concept to try making it again.

One thing i can tell, I definitely learnt a lot from this character such as defining skin texture, how not whiff sculpt... in fact there's a lot of 'how not to' that i've got out of it.

Either way, thank you for everyone that was watching, i promise that my next character will be 'The shit'. In fact, it's in works already :)