Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retrogasm 2018 - Aniarts- FinalFantasy VI- Celes

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Anitlunia polycounter lvl 6
Hi! Time for retrogasm! So i started like a week ago but thinking about creating a thread here on the forums. Now, here I am!

Goal: Modelling Celes from Final Fantasy VI. Gathering reference.

here is the original concept from Yoshitaka Amano, I love his style because he expresses forms with his own sketchy style.

I want to achieve the final fantasy look like from final fantasy XIII and so on games. 

Celes outfit references. Celes, in the game has lots of outfits (hell, she even has an opera dress!). I have chosen the yellow one because I think represents more her character. There are few original artworks of Celes so I'm calling fanarts and cosplay as inspiration.

Here is my sketch of hoiw is going to be the outfit!

Here is my base blockout progress. Any feedback and resources are welcomed!

Replies

• Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on the face! Here is some process GIF

• Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Interesting choice, I look forward to seeing how you turn Amano's concept into 3D!
    I have some feedback for you, I think your head started off ok but it started to get a little more blobby as time went on. An area that stands out to me is the mouth and surrounding areas, it looks kind of flat and structure-less, like she has no teeth. If you poke that area on your own face you can easily feel teeth underneath as they are a big factor for how that area is defined. I did a paint over and provided some reference on how you can bring some structure back into her face, I hope it helps!

• Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Alemja THanks for the feedback! I applied it to the mouth area to be more fleshier!

My Blockout is finished so now I'm planning the details. I read about Celes Job, shé's basically a Rune night so I searched and found this pic from FF tactics

So I'm getting inspiration from the white pattern to decorate Celes' shirt. Here I made a paintover (it's very rough)

And here is some progress, the pattern I made it painting it to the shirt UVs and masking by polypaint.

Also I'm blocking out the direction of the hairstyle! It's like wobbly and soft and needs a lot of work!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    Cheek area is looking much better! I'm still kinda concerned with upper lip area where it's still looking convex. I did a gif to show what I mean, I also noticed inthe 3/4 view the head is looking a little long.

Here is a still if that helps out a little more.

I hope that helps!
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So as @Alemja has pointed out I had a ginourmous cranium and made some adjustments to the face and polypainted to get the general feeling.

started on making some detalis, here is the main turn around of the whole sculpt.

I sculpted the laces with ZShperes and the lace is a custom IMM brush I made. Also I finished detailing the boots!

Next step is modelling the belt, the jewellery and little details before I call the high poly body finished.
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More progress! I'm still struggling on the jewelery part, any suggestions, tips or references?

Also I want to improve my belt design I feel like it's missing something and it's going to be an important part of the model!
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! I'm not dead and made some changes to the proportions of the caracter, I made her taller, also modelled and sculpted the geometry and made some changes to the face so she has more simplified look. I think It's ready for retopo. I call this highpoly nearly finished (cloth still need some details tough) 
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I made my first test bakes and it's still very rough but I think i need more edges to define the silhouette especially the arm zone.

• Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I worked on all my objects and UV's and finally imported my character to substance! Final bakes:

My Uvs are distributed  with head one part and body to another space. I plan to Make an extra Uv space for hair and the sword. There's still some space reserved on the skin Uv Space in case I intend to put some extra UV's there.

I have a question regarding the belt, I don't know if I need to give it more texture resolution on the UV space. Any advice?

I'm very glad how the torso details arelooking prett well! :smiley:

• Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm layering my base colors with Substance Painter on Celes, still much work to do!
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More texturing! Here's some details!
    I hope I can get to the haircards soon.

• Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started to place my hair cards! I'm using blender bezier's curve control. This is my second time making and placing hair cards, so I hope I survive to his!

• Budai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budai node
    Wonderful work, really like the fabrics:) One thing I noticed though, the lace on the side of her pants is wrong I think. The lace should go over the fabric and the ring, and the out under the ring and the fabric.
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Budai You're right! I need to correct that before posing!

Here I nearly finished my grooming, time to preview textures and pose!

• Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesterday I made the character's rig, and sculpted the sword. AS always my rigs are made with Blender's addon Rigify. The automatic weight tool it not perfects but it saves me lots of time on the skinning process.

It also comes with an eye rig!

Also, don't forget to move that hips!
    Imported the pose on Marmoset! Sill need dome textures on the sword!

• Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished my model in time! Here are some sexy pics:

Check Highres pics at ArtStation: 
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mBmBe

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Have you transfered normals onto the hair cards from a proxy hair shell to get it all blendeed as one volume?  Looks like each strand is sticking out.
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi
    I think not (?) I  don't know what's a proxy hair shell (I assume it's a cage?) Which's the diference with baking Normals into a plane?
  • Anitlunia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the project with a new pose and light setup! (and some texture corrections)