Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] London Underground - [Crit hugely appreciated]

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Genotype polycounter lvl 5

After an awesome year at nDreams its time to start looking for somewhere new and exciting to move to. This came with the realization that much of the past years work, unfortunately can't show quite yet or was completed within super tight deadlines. In the next few months I will be trying to really level up and get creating some work that I am proud to show! So it is that time to really knuckle down and get some nice portfolio pieces out and take a bit of time for myself. In order to try and keep myself organised and keep a structure, the plan is to update this page  and my artstation at least once a week as a blog. 

The Plan!

For my first scene I have decided to recreate a blast from the past. Before going to uni I worked in London doing data entry, as tedious as this was I was always amazed at London underground. So many people in such a small space. I found it crazy how far you could go so quickly. My plan is to create a small section of station and the train coming out the tunnel as a small diorama piece. This week I hit the ground running and created a quick front carriage. I'm pretty happy with this as a base but there are definitely lots of parts I want to improve, like adding polys to reduce the harsh edges and improving the train lights at the front. I also need to knock back the roughness variation on the front. Any crit would be much appreciated. :)

On to blocking out the platform and tunnel.

Replies

• Genotype
    Offline / Send Message
    Mini Weekend Update.

Started to make the little scene. Starting to come together a a bit more every day. Had a bit of time this weekend to keep working (very small update but gives a better idea of the scale I'm looking to create). I added a floor and some props to the scene. I'm really starting to get excited for this scene. Next update will be some nice floor textures. I'll be using substance designer for this. I also updated my pureref with a few more props. This will be a good chance to look more into marmoset rendering. I've usually only used a very basic setup before. 

The floors and walls are set up as a modular set. I will be adding some more roof props and tracks during this week too. :)

• Genotype
    Offline / Send Message

I thought I would just do a date to day update but post a few days in one as not to spam :)

Monday Week 02:

Post weekend funk. After having a day and now re-looking at the train, I realise there are quite a few bits I want to change, I feel like the material properties aren't quite right overall and some normal variation is serious lacking in the panels, after talking though with a few people from work though I feel like maybe now isn't the time to be too worried about that yet. If anything maybe it wasn't the right asset to start with, after all there was no scene. Never mind. Instead I made some quick little props. I think I really want to spend some time fleshing out the scene more and start to get some materials on the actual platform. I think it is really needed to ground the scene as its all a bit overly reflective at the moment. 

Tuesday Week 02:

Big flesh out almost done. Taking a screenshot at the end of everyday is really helping with motivation. Although Just realised I forgot the wheels for the train whoops! On to Uving and getting some basic materials on I think!

• Genotype
    Offline / Send Message

Starting on a first pass of all the materials. Ones I have a base for all of the objects, I plan to go back and give them all a balance pass. I am also starting to think I should put the scene into unreal to give a bit more control! I'm in between computers for the next few weeks though and marmoset files are a little bit more manageable than a whole project so Ill keep to Marmoset for now.

Getting more excited about this with each day!

Also remembered to add the wheels to the bottom of the train. Much less distracting now it isnt floating!

• Genotype
    Offline / Send Message

Had a lovely weekend at Topgolf lovely sunshine. Back to the PC though now. 

Added more detail to the ceiling, I started with super simple geo but decided some nice ambience would be beneficial. I kept the geo still quite simple but I think it really adds to the scene. I also made the chairs smaller and changed some of the textures on the train again. Want to get onto the ceiling prop.

I kept all the Ceiling pieces on the same UV set for efficiency. I am definitely going to be taking this scene to Unreal I think it would make a really interesting scene to light. Any advice on lighting better in marmoset would be awesome though! I should have my first pass of the scene by the end of the week. Super excited!

Cheers for visiting! :)

• Genotype
    Offline / Send Message

Spent time today UVing and texturing some of the ceiling props. Really need to spend some time sorting out the emissives on the signs as currently they are lost in the background same as for the front of the train. Also did a quick pass on the ceiling again. Added a bit more dirt. It still needs more love but its getting there slowly but surely :)

I'm going to be putting the scene in to Unreal in the next couple of days. Tracks, back wall and posters still need a first pass. 

• aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Do you have a story/intention in mind?  So far everything is looking good as the assets come together, but yeah... story.  Anyways, I think the the subway tile floor is awesome.  Substance Designer?
  • Genotype
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers :) Didn't use designer took some default materials and a couple from substance source and had some fun tweaking values and painting them in.

aclund3 said:
    Do you have a story/intention in mind?  So far everything is looking good as the assets come together, but yeah... story.  Anyways, I think the the subway tile floor is awesome.  Substance Designer?

It was just a material study for now, however I definitely think the story element is what is missing to push the scene.

Debating at the moment to either take the scene on a more fantasy route. Either a flooded underground with the train been a boat, give the option to have some more plant life Imagine underground gonadal system maybe even have some swan pedalos down there. (Trying to stay away from typical derelict platform). Or go more down the small story route with props adding something left on the bench, making it look like after football match or abandoned date night meet Maybe a combination of the two.
  • aclund3
    Offline / Send Message
    aclund3 polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome mate!  I typically inject story way after I should, thus why I bring it up.  Love the idea of an mermaid dinner date in a subway, BTW haha :)
  • Genotype
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got the scene into Unreal :). Its taking a bit of time to import the models and get the last couple of textures in. So nice been able to fly around. Glaringly obvious thing I want to change;

Adding emmissive to signs
    Needs some rubbish/ making it look like people have been there. (Going to go for a Everyone's gone to the rapture vibe.)
    Layout the train properly and also do an interior.
    More wall Props
    Texture all the grey box assets
    Redo the light fittings
    Do a lighting/ atmosphere pass 

Anything else anyone can see? :)

• Doxturtle
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Might be cool to have some bits of luggage scattered around the platform, to give a bit of mystery/story to the scene

• Genotype
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle said:
    Might be cool to have some bits of luggage scattered around the platform, to give a bit of mystery/story to the scene

Yes! Exactly the sort of thing I was thinking, maybe a lost heel, and deffo some forgotten takeaway scattered around a bin!
  • Genotype
    Offline / Send Message

More Work-in-progress. Train interior and platform props still to go. This has been a really fun process! The scene is fully in unreal now, all baked lighting. Learning a lot but how do I miss Swarm for light bakes!

More assets with textures more lighting updates. I'm pretty happy with the orangeness in the first image i need to revisit the rest of the platform I think. I'm gonna try get 4 different lighting set ups just as an added test to myself  Let me know what you think.

jade-rogers-train-01jpg1529583529

jade-rogers-train-02jpg1529583531

• Genotype
    Offline / Send Message
    Little bit more work on this project. Its had to take a bit of a back seat recently. Art tests and a cheeky holiday got in the way! 

Had another go at texturing the train. Much more pleased with how it is looking feel like it fits a bit better with the floor now. I also added some dirt decals to floor. Still need to add more clutter to the station and also want to get on the creating an interior. I might put this project to the side for a few weeks and get onto a quick smaller piece in the meantime. Lets see how the next few weeks play out!