Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Toy Car [Feedback Please]

3D4D
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
3D4D polycounter lvl 6
Hi there,
I've been away from 3d Art whilst on Maternity leave and just started to get an hour a day (if i'm lucky) to model while my baby sleeps. This is also my reason for picking something small. Really i'm after some feedback, good or bad, on any improvements, tips on rendering etc.

Any feedback would be massively appreciated as my time is so precious at the moment that i don't often have time to watch tutorials and research techniques so anything to point me in the right direction would be great.

I've baked down from High-poly and exposed some custom color changing, decals, and number plate naming from substance designer and imported to marmoset.

Replies

• Skinner3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Skinner3D polycounter lvl 5
    Looks good. Don't know what you were aiming for or what sort of critique you were looking for. Your shadows are just a little too clean, they need softer edges and there is a weird blip of light underneath all of your tires.
  • 3D4D
    Offline / Send Message
    3D4D polycounter lvl 6
    @Skinner3D thanks will sort that out. 
  • ysiegel
    Offline / Send Message
    ysiegel null
    One thing that stuck out to me:
    Some of the materials (like the black paint of the car and the metal of all the mirrors and handles) feel way too clean and shiny; needs a bit of "dirtying up" (you know, an alpha dirt map placed in reflection, or even a tiny bit more glossiness or bumpiness might do the trick [if you do the latter then a REALLY tiny bit!!]). Just my own observation.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    You should throw in some Depth of Field. It might sound cheesy but when it comes to size, there is a difference in how a photo records small objects vs big ones. Especially because at first, I didn't think it was a toy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macro_photography

• Gaurav Mathur
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaurav Mathur polycounter lvl 12
    Congratulations, @3D4D!  Both on the birth of your baby, and for creating some nice work here!  It's an achievement to be able to devote an hour a day to your artwork as a mum to a newborn!

The proportions of your cars are totally charming, and I'm not put off by the cleanliness of the surfacing.  I would try to fix that weird blip of lighting under the tires.  And I'd build out the front headlights so that they affect the silhouette... that would make the cars a little more charming.   I liked the mismatched coloring of the doors.  Your models remind me of the Matchbox cars from my childhood!
  • allknighter
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    Such cute cars. They remind me of the kinds that are at airports!
    I agree with Gaurav, that detailing the headlights would improve upon your project :)
  • Lukeman87
    Overall looks good! I like the stylized concept. I lime the straight forward materials too. Simple material for a simple design. They look like old school toy cars from any era long ago. I do agree in making the headlights a little bigger to a bit more charm and make the fronts pop a little more. Maybe add a bit more geometry to make the round corners at the roof, hood, and trunk a bit more round. Otherwise great job.
  • fhurtubise
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    I really like the model, materials, & color schemes!

If you're not opposed to the idea, one thing I think you could do to help with the "toy" feel of the cars is to add some subtle damage (scratches, scuffs, worn paint, or simply dirt) at a scale that really shows the small size of the surfaces. Looking at old photos of toy cars, I think it's what really helps differentiate them from simply "stylized" models.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    These are awesome, I love these.