Hello Polycount!NOTE: This is now completed. The sketchfab link can be found here: https://sketchfab.com/models/a5bdbf816dc54b7e89e2a691c3d65709
It's been a while since I roamed/stalked these boards, last time in search for critique on my head sculpts. Now I'm looking for some aid in my conquest to make two concepts of mine 3D!
Throughout each year in my studying location we have a total of 8 subjects (16 total over 2 years), and this is my last one..! It's pretty important, and as such we get to choose what to do, to help us grasp what we want to work with a little better. My choice of task was to make two characters from concept to posed out, while being optimized for a game-setting (polycount/good topology being the key things I'll try to stick to).
my two characters will have to go through the entire process in roughly 8-10 weeks.
My two characters are hybrid human/cat creatures, with feline features. Cade more so than Arryn, due to causes in his backstory.
Their concept art is linked below, for the most part I kept them to rough sketches though.Their concept links weren't working, so I've posted them further down this page.
(couldn't figure out how to make text-links so apologies for the long lines of text oops)
I started working on their base sculpts this Monday (19.03.2018), so this is all progress I've made from then to now.
So far I've logged almost 5 1/2 of work on the two, roughly 2 1/2 hour on each. New pictures/updates will be added in new comments as I go, since I'm not sure how many pictures this first post can handle.The sizes of the two don't match in the progress pictures - Cade will be about half the size of Arryn.Day 1:
After the first day of blocking. I used spheres and other primitives to roughly define where each bodypart/joint would be. This is after I dynameshed different parts together, the original looked more like a dummy figure you'd use for traditional art. I fleshed them out a bit more before calling it a day. I used about 2 hours to get to this stage.Day 2:
Experimenting with the ears (positioning/shape) and correcting some of the anatomical errors to arms and legs. Also began testing a methos to add claws/paws which worked pretty alright, and which I decided to use the following day as well. I also dynameshed all the body parts together except head and tail, keeping them separate for now. 1 hour & 30 minutes (with 30 min being used to experiment with the ears/muscles).Day 3:
Correcting errors, shaping up the ears. Adding furry patches to the areas I want them (not bothering with adding fur to parts where you can't see anyway, and which will be lost completely during retopologizing - such as stomach/chest). Starting to get a better feel for what their characters are like. Need to add things such as teeth and integrate fur with the body. Cade also needs a mouth pocket and a set of actual teeth. Made his hat so I could shape his ears properly and add fur reactive to the hat as well. 2 hours & 12 minutes.
That's what I got for now! I won't be doing daily updates since I can't work full time during Easter, but I'll poke in here with updates as often as I can.
Any feedback is very welcome as long as it's constructive!