Home Technical Talk

PNG with metallic and smoothness - How can I edit (in PS) the two separately within one PNG?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Bumper polycounter lvl 9
Hey all - so I'm stumped. I'm relatively new to Unity and am having difficulty getting used to using a PNG (format is client mandated) for metallic/smoothness. My PNGs are coming out of Painter which has combined my metal/smooth upon export.

I understand that the value AND transparency work together to affect metal/smooth. What I want to know is how I could go about editing/tweaking the two separately. I would MUCH prefer to use TGAs, where I could more readily access the color channels and alpha for editing independantly.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I doubt that the transparency "works together" with those. I believe it works the same as tga, and the transparency should do nothing, unless its grabbed by some another property of the shader. But even then it does't affect the metallic - smoothness maps. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm mainly not a Unity user, but I used it in the past several times.
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    Hi Bumper

In Photoshop, if you open your PNG and then go to:
    Layer -> Layer Mask -> From Transparency

It'll create an alpha channel on your PNG for you to play with.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Obscura said:
    I doubt that the transparency "works together" with those. I believe it works the same as tga, and the transparency should do nothing, unless its grabbed by some another property of the shader. But even then it does't affect the metallic - smoothness maps. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, I'm mainly not a Unity user, but I used it in the past several times.
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Unity Standard shader looks at the transparency (alpha) as a measure of smoothness, and the RGB values for metal.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    Axi5 said:
    Hi Bumper

In Photoshop, if you open your PNG and then go to:
    Layer -> Layer Mask -> From Transparency

It'll create an alpha channel on your PNG for you to play with.
    Thank you! That is magic. I really appreciate the help.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Remember to stop photoshop converting colour spaces and wrecking your data.

Or as I usually advise when working with substance - stay away from photoshop 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Right. Now I dug a little bit in it on the internet as currently I don't have Unity installed, and it turns out that you can store the smoothness only in alpha channel of some map. But you can select which map to grab from (smoothness source). This is kinda weird though because having an alpha channel, when you could pack metallic, smoothness, and ao together for example, is a waste. Oh well.
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Yes smoothness on alpha and metallic on red.
    It's a bit silly use of textures, but well you can still make your own (surface) shader if needed.

As for png, i never really got this format, or is it photoshop ? If it's pure transparent, how can you specify the color ? Seems to be a poor choice for packing single channel textures.
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    its photoshop which handles PNG alpha in a .. not so cool manner. I dont get why its alpha is treated differently than in other formats, but oh well..

This should help you:
    http://www.fnordware.com/superpng/

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, use SuperPNG, which will let you treat the alpha channel as, well, an alpha channel - rather than transparency.

Photoshop's native handling of PNG sucks.
  • Bumper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumper polycounter lvl 9
    kio said:
    its photoshop which handles PNG alpha in a .. not so cool manner. I dont get why its alpha is treated differently than in other formats, but oh well..

This should help you:
    http://www.fnordware.com/superpng/

Gah, that is awesome! I really should come out from under my rock more often. Thank you so much.